Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 02:57 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Builders in OC need to build to exist and people moving in want homes (SFH) in OC.Supply and demand drives all markets.
OC is building almost all rentals, and huge buildings at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 05:46 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,690,013 times
Additionally, there will be even more shops and restaurants (non-chain, I hope ). I would like to see an upscale restaurant with a "Tavern on the Green" ambience.

Still, there are only 7.5 sq miles on this little postage stamp, and about half of the city's land is devoted to parks, schools, churches and rec facilities. So, AV will be very cozy in the future.

Whiting: Aliso Viejo, county's newest city, is ready for its facelift - The Orange County Register

"Still, to stay competitive in these fast-changing times, Orange County’s newest city already is planning significant updating.

In five years, the Town Center is expected to get a major facelift. Where vast asphalt parking lots now sit, plans are on the drawing board for a boutique hotel with 129 rooms as well as office and residential space above dozens of proposed ground-level shops and restaurants.

Additionally, 435 luxury apartments are in the works along with two affordable senior housing projects with 402 units. One is under construction, and nearby, a new medical building will sit on a bluff with views of the Santa Ana mountains. And if current trends continue, there will be more large-scale office buildings.

Of the makeover for the Town Center, which will include multitiered parking, more green space and improved pedestrian walk-through, City Manager David Doyle explains: “We need to provide places where people can spend quality time. We want to create something special, unique.”

I have to give credit where it's due. Aliso only has 15 full-time employees, but between them, city leaders, and volunteer Aliso Viejo Community Association members, they get things done........... fast and under budget.

Last edited by pacific2; 12-22-2015 at 06:08 AM..

Old 12-22-2015, 09:15 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
OC is building almost all rentals, and huge buildings at that.
Not all rentals, as many are townhomes and condos with some large hotel/apt complexes.

In OC especially I can see more condos and town homes being built as they have become the replacement for SFH. Apts will always be built and over time with land costs they will probably be the majority of units being built. But SFH homes still dominate the area and are still being built. I do see SFH being less affordable and the Town House/Condo taking over the market. Apts? I am not so sure unless they are massive and cater to the average wage earner who wants to live close to work or for retirees who want a smaller place with minimal upkeep. That could drive more APTs for sale, not rent, as many retirees want less home upkeep and a lower costs to .live, in their retirement.

Old 12-24-2015, 09:42 PM

14 posts, read 13,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Builders in OC need to build to exist and people moving in want homes (SFH) in OC.Supply and demand drives all markets.
People prefer homes, but are willing to live in Condos and Skyscrapers if it is cheaper. Housing in California is anything but a free market. If Orange County had the regulations of Houston, i.e. no zoning codes, it would grow like crazy. It sometimes feels like Californians forget how cheap it is to build if you get rid of all of the bureaucracy and land use restrictions. In Los Angeles, these restrictions add about 40% to the cost of rent/real estate. Do you not think tons more people would move to Orange County if it was 40% cheaper?

Old 12-24-2015, 09:48 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,919,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitodeath View Post
People prefer homes, but are willing to live in Condos and Skyscrapers if it is cheaper. Housing in California is anything but a free market. If Orange County had the regulations of Houston, i.e. no zoning codes, it would grow like crazy. It sometimes feels like Californians forget how cheap it is to build if you get rid of all of the bureaucracy and land use restrictions. In Los Angeles, these restrictions add about 40% to the cost of rent/real estate. Do you not think tons more people would move to Orange County if it was 40% cheaper?
I'd rather have Orange County be expensive rather than being developed like Manila.

Old 12-24-2015, 09:54 PM

14 posts, read 13,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
I'd rather have Orange County be expensive rather than being developed like Manila.
And I totally understand that. But what you are advocating for is the government enforcement of monopolies over land use for the chosen few, over allowing what is best for the greatest number of people e.g. the market. Picking a best setup for 1 million versus a better setup for 5 million. I can't get behind such anti market and anti for the general welfare sentiment, but I can absolutely see why someone would want that.

Old 12-25-2015, 08:50 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,346,043 times
History has shown throughout the planet that when the horizontal sprawl runs out, there is only vertical integration left.
The old saying still prevails, buy land, they're not making any more of it.

Old 12-25-2015, 11:30 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post

Old 12-26-2015, 01:14 PM

202 posts, read 198,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Additionally, there will be even more shops and restaurants (non-chain, I hope ). I would like to see an upscale restaurant with a "Tavern on the Green" ambience.

Still, there are only 7.5 sq miles on this little postage stamp, and about half of the city's land is devoted to parks, schools, churches and rec facilities. So, AV will be very cozy in the future.

Whiting: Aliso Viejo, county's newest city, is ready for its facelift - The Orange County Register

"Still, to stay competitive in these fast-changing times, Orange County’s newest city already is planning significant updating.

In five years, the Town Center is expected to get a major facelift. Where vast asphalt parking lots now sit, plans are on the drawing board for a boutique hotel with 129 rooms as well as office and residential space above dozens of proposed ground-level shops and restaurants.

Additionally, 435 luxury apartments are in the works along with two affordable senior housing projects with 402 units. One is under construction, and nearby, a new medical building will sit on a bluff with views of the Santa Ana mountains. And if current trends continue, there will be more large-scale office buildings.

Of the makeover for the Town Center, which will include multitiered parking, more green space and improved pedestrian walk-through, City Manager David Doyle explains: “We need to provide places where people can spend quality time. We want to create something special, unique.”

I have to give credit where it's due. Aliso only has 15 full-time employees, but between them, city leaders, and volunteer Aliso Viejo Community Association members, they get things done........... fast and under budget.
You are motivating me to get an investment property in AV soon....!

Old 12-26-2015, 01:16 PM

202 posts, read 198,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
History has shown throughout the planet that when the horizontal sprawl runs out, there is only vertical integration left.
The old saying still prevails, buy land, they're not making any more of it.
I agree but that would require selling of investments in foreign country
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County