Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 02:01 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,687,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanj_16 View Post
You are motivating me to get an investment property in AV soon....!
Well, something is going on in Aliso Viejo, and it looks like a lot of it has to do with the expansion of tech and biotech firms in the city; plus a desire to accomodate both the housing and entertainment needs of their workers.

Towards that end, AV is going about the rebranding of itself from a family-freindly community, into something that will encourage people to keep spending here.

Tiny Aliso is the little engine that could.

Aliso Viejo is a hotbed of entrepreneurship among Southern California cities, study finds - The Orange County Register
South OrangeCounty’s Aliso Viejo is a hotbed of successful entrepreneurship compared with other Southern California cities, according to a study by researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s Sloan School of Management.

Aliso Viejo ranked higher in entrepreneurial quality – measured by the likelihood of launching a successful IPO or being acquired – than 121 other cities in the Greater Los Angeles area and 18 in the San Diego area, according to the MIT paper, which examined startup ventures across California.

MicroVention to return to Aliso Viejo in new $100 million headquarters, expected to open in 2017 - The Orange County Register
MicroVention, a subsidiary of the Japanese Terumo Corp., develops technologies to treat vascular diseases, such as brain aneurysms.

Venture Capital Report - Orange County - Q4 2014 | City National Bank
There were just a handful of deals last quarter in O.C.’s traditional hotbed of health care.
The biggest health care deal was a $15 million Series C financing for OrthAlign of Aliso Viejo. The six-year-old company makes devices to help surgeons boost precision in knee and hip implant surgery.

Another health care firm, Sentrian of Aliso Viejo, attracted $12 million in Series A funding. The startup is testing a “remote patient intelligence” system that uses biosensors to monitor patients’ health. The goal is to detect failing health before it becomes serious enough to require hospitalization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 02:50 PM

Even though I still don't know where in AV they are going to put all of the new construction (the canyon and the 23 parks are safe), I imagine they will rip up a lot of the parking lot near Lowe's. I can't say I would be sorry to see an end to that huge, largely empty, expanse of asphalt.

What's also interesting, is that Aliso Viejo is hardly a tourist destination (being near Laguna Beach has its benefits), but the city's first hotel, Renaissance ClubSport, so exceeded the city's expectations in performance, that they approved the construction of a second one. That long-term stay hotel, different in concept from Renaissance, but right across the street from it, looks like it is near completion.

What's more, if I am reading things right, Aliso may also permit a third hotel to be constructed at Town Center. The goal seems to be to turn suburban Town Center into a "downtown."

Last edited by pacific2; 12-26-2015 at 03:49 PM..

Old 12-28-2015, 08:37 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Even though I still don't know where in AV they are going to put all of the new construction (the canyon and the 23 parks are safe), I imagine they will rip up a lot of the parking lot near Lowe's. I can't say I would be sorry to see an end to that huge, largely empty, expanse of asphalt.

What's also interesting, is that Aliso Viejo is hardly a tourist destination (being near Laguna Beach has its benefits), but the city's first hotel, Renaissance ClubSport, so exceeded the city's expectations in performance, that they approved the construction of a second one. That long-term stay hotel, different in concept from Renaissance, but right across the street from it, looks like it is near completion.

What's more, if I am reading things right, Aliso may also permit a third hotel to be constructed at Town Center. The goal seems to be to turn suburban Town Center into a "downtown."
My dear friend and I looked at places in Aliso, San Clemente, Dana Point and Laguna Niguel today. We ruled out SJC since it is spotty. We never got to Mission Viejo...My friend cannot afford a house in Laguna Niguel, the first choice, so we dropped that idea after she saw a tiny (adorable but in desperate need of renovation ) Beacon Hill house for 600k found here and insisted she cannot afford to stretch that far to buy it. Thus we looked at several higher end townhouses in several towns around the area. I left convinced that Aliso had the most to offer with that kind of property, and it was not even close at all. Aliso is not only fairly affordable, but I truly feel it is better investment for those looking for generally smaller dwellings due to retooling of the city, the compactness of the town, the fact that mello Roos is expiring all over, and general appeal of the place.

OTOH, Aliso, appealing as it is for younger folks, singles, and smaller families (smaller homes), is not what I would be looking for. But I can see it's appeal loud and clear. It is a nice place.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:58 PM

I certainly agree that Aliso is relatively affordable when compared to surrounding cities; and it's also structured to have more of an urban feel. That's why there are more townhouses and condos here, rather than SFR's.

AV does seem to mostly appeal to young people, but also to those who don't want to live in a large SFR. Still, the median age has actually crept up slightly over the years; and anecdotally, I see more middle-aged people here than in the past. I even see more seniors.

Nevertheless, single millennials now account for the largest group of new arrivals to AV. This is especially obvious in the hilly area around City Lights, Vantis Dr, Colonial, Beacon Way, Brownstone Way, etc. where they appear to be drawn. Incidentally, there are some gorgeous unobstructed valley and mountain views from up there.

Some regular AV events tend to draw all age groups from both AV and neighboring cities, like the weekly Cars and Coffee:

Aliso Viejo Cars and Coffee, RWB 911!, Murcielago, Z4, and More!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSEVsl47rAs

Old 12-28-2015, 11:17 PM

In a maybe related matter, the college in tiny Aliso Viejo, Soka University, draws a large cross-section of students from around the world; and this may contribute a bit to Aliso's urban vibe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvcveKaWJNA

Events like this attract all age groups to AV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzulVe-pn4Y

However, Aliso Viejo is not for everyone, since people have vastly different tastes.

Old 12-29-2015, 12:19 AM

I'm obviously bored again, so here are more tangentially age-related, at best, videos.

I think that mostly older people play golf at the Aliso Viejo Country Club:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k7RcfrStkM

Old guys can also play ice hockey (Aliso Viejo Ice Palace):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18pONilmNKg

Old 12-29-2015, 12:31 AM

But anyone, of any age, can feel free to suddenly break into a dance in Aliso Viejo...just because:

Joyful Kid Dances in Front of City Lights While Waiting for the 4th of July Fire Works To Begin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vaE4CEm3IQ

Last edited by pacific2; 12-29-2015 at 12:45 AM..

Old 12-29-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
But anyone, of any age, can feel free to suddenly break into a dance in Aliso Viejo...just because:

Joyful Kid Dances in Front of City Lights While Waiting for the 4th of July Fire Works To Begin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vaE4CEm3IQ

I will be back in Aliso today looking at another place for my friend that meets my approval.

Old 12-29-2015, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post

I will be back in Aliso today looking at another place for my friend that meets my approval.
Happy hunting, and I would suggest giving the area around Beacon Way another look. It's enticing due to its hilly location and great views. The meandering pathway down nearby pavered Grand, with its old fashioned street lights and park benches (part of Grand Park), is also good for quiet walks.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Happy hunting, and I would suggest giving the area around Beacon Way another look. It's enticing due to its hilly location and great views. The meandering pathway down nearby pavered Grand, with its old fashioned street lights and park benches (part of Grand Park), is also good for quiet walks.
Saw a super cheap one off Heather Ridge area, not gonna work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County