Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2015, 03:39 PM

55 posts, read 95,787 times

Advertisements

I've lived up here in Boise, Idaho off and on for about 14 years, but am originally from Lakewood and lived and recreated quite a bit in Orange County (surfing, and then developed a passion for Mtn Biking, and road cycling).

I work for a State Agency up here, in a member services (customer service) position, and will have 5 years in July, which means I'll be vested for a (small) future lifetime pension. It also means I'm not a high wage earner - despite having graduated with a Business Degree from Long Beach State! LOL. I'm joking. But yes, I AM a CSULB grad from back in 1999-2000.

Anyway, I miss my family and friends there, the sunshine, the awesome mtn bike trails of So Cal, the OCEAN, group mtn bike rides - such as with The Path bikeshop! Etc etc...........

I know that SoCal and OC is one of the most expensive places to live...in the world? But people who are NOT rich are doing it?
To put #'s on it, I would expect to get about, maybe $35-$40k starting; that ain't much down there...

BUT, I know I will have to be renting a room as there is no way I can afford the rents down there - therein lies the problem - "room wtih kitchen privileges" I like to relax and cook and not feel rushed; I also have several bikes (most room rentals - the garage is the owners and full up).

What should I do??? I'm scared - and it will be a big move. I don't have stuff - so if room isn't furnished I'll have to at least buy a bed and stuff- that's no problem.
What will be more of a potential problem (for me) - is losing my "sovereignty" by going from having my own place (a small studio up here) - to...NOT having my own place down there.
But at least I'll be down there. Hopefully live close to work, and hopefully that will also be close to where I like to recreate.

Also, yes, I wish I had more $ and assets by this age and time in life, but I made poor decisions early on..
unlike, say, a person who did well from early on, in High School, and went right through college, and is making like $100k in their early 30's.
I WISH that was me but it isn't!!!

Oh well - I'm still here, fit and breathing!!!! And I'm responsible, am (and will be) fully employed, am reliable, etc.. so the owner will be getting a good renter, but I just...don't want to lose my..there we go again - "sovereignty" - so has to be a good fit for sure.

I can potentially room with a friend of mine who lives in Las Vegas and also wants to get back to OC and is a little older than me; however, while a long time friend, I've not lived with her and suspect she can be very "moody" etc - and that won't work for me!

Last edited by Fwdvision; 12-21-2015 at 04:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 05:25 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
Renters in LA and OC are struggling to pay rents.

Over Half Of L.A. & O.C. Is Struggling To Pay Rent: LAist

I suggest you continue where you are and get your retirement up there. OC is an exceedingly expensive place.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:04 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwdvision View Post
I know that SoCal and OC is one of the most expensive places to live...in the world? But people who are NOT rich are doing it?
To put #'s on it, I would expect to get about, maybe $35-$40k starting
Would you be OK in a mobile home? Affordable to buy:

Mobile and Manufactured Homes for Sale in Orange County, CA - realtor.com®

Old 12-21-2015, 06:40 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,687,308 times
I can understand the desire to return, but would not suggest that anyone move to Orange County on an income of $35-40K. That's truly at a poverty level in OC. People do it, but they must be stressed-out.

As you know, rents are high.
Want to live in Orange County? It'll cost you $1,848 a month for an apartment - an all-time average high - The Orange County Register

If you are set on moving to coastal SoCal anyway, have you checked out shares in Long Beach?

In OC, maybe it would be worth looking into a share in Anaheim, or maybe Santa Ana. They are probably a bit less costly.

Or, perhaps wait until you are 55 to try for a apartment in a senior community like Laguna Woods.

Of course, another option would be to move to Riverside County and make occasional trips to the ocean.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:41 PM

Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Would you be OK in a mobile home? Affordable to buy:

Mobile and Manufactured Homes for Sale in Orange County, CA - realtor.com®
I would totally be ok in a mobile home - IF in an area, or reasonably close to where I would want to be and the ongoing
Space rent or lease was do - able for me. Sure.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Renters in LA and OC are struggling to pay rents.

Over Half Of L.A. & O.C. Is Struggling To Pay Rent: LAist

I suggest you continue where you are and get your retirement up there. OC is an exceedingly expensive place.
Sobering data mentioned in that article!
Funny, and a bit off-topic, but I am the nephew of a man who in 08' gave a $100 million dollar gift to UCLA.
It's a wonderful thing. It's just kind of ironic - if you think about it!

I really want to to be able to go home.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:50 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,687,308 times
There's also this, but again, you would need a roommate since the owner was charging $1500/month in July and has a waiting list for his cottages:

Could you live in 475 square feet? These Old Towne residents say micro-dwelling is 'liberating' - The Orange County Register

Old 12-21-2015, 10:00 PM

823 posts, read 1,784,986 times
Thanks for all all the links. I know rent is high here, but didn't realize people are struggling to pay rent. And the micro 4-plex is awesome. Very cute, but darn expensive!

Old 12-21-2015, 11:50 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
You should be able to share with so embody. My kid share a 2 bed room town home in a very nice area near the beach, she has very reasonable rent. She got luckily with housing in LA. But I think you need a roommate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County