Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 12:06 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,627,616 times

Advertisements

Hello, my wife and I visit OC for family 2-3 times a year. Last time we were there, our Waze guided us through toll roads. That's fine, but we never saw a booth to pay anything, so we were confused. Then we got a letter asking us to pay the toll. That's fine, too.

But the note basically said "this is your first time, so you get a pass, but don't do it again". Here is what confuses me. We don't really know OC well and if Waze tells us to take a road, we will take it. How can we pay for the tolls? We are not going to install an automatic meter for the 2-3 times we go there. But there is nowhere to pay them.

Am I missing something? I don't want to get slapped with a fine next time I use them and I am not trying to avoid paying them.

Thanks for help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 12:36 PM

371 posts, read 811,660 times
If you don't have the "transponder" (the little thing you put in your car so it will automatically charge you), you are supposed to go thetollroads.com within 5 days of going through the toll, and you pay online. When you went through the toll point, they took a photo of your license plate. You imput that into the website and pay with a credit card.

I haven't done it, because I have a transponder, but I heard the process is pretty annoying. and takes something like 10 minutes.

They switched over last year, dropped the toll booths, and you have to do it online. You are not alone. Many people became confused by the whole thing and they were getting hundreds (thousands?) of people going through each day confused of what to do, and they were issuing tickets to everyone. They eventually agreed to give everyone a free pass for the first violation (which you got)

In my opinion, they need more signs, and more conspicuous signs -- as evidenced by the many, many people who drive through unsure of what to do. Or, from their prospective, maybe they don't...maybe they would prefer people don't pay so they can issue them a fat ticket. The cynic in me remembers that they are financially strapped (behind on bond payments) and did this to increase revenue.

My question is: What about people who don't have a credit card or debit card? How do they pay if they can't pay online?

Old 02-11-2016, 12:47 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,627,616 times
Thanks for response. I checked the web-site. This time we will be driving our own car, which has the Fastrak transponder, so we should be good. But we usually rent, which is what happened last time. Seems like a pretty shady ploy

Old 02-11-2016, 12:50 PM

371 posts, read 811,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
Thanks for response. I checked the web-site. This time we will be driving our own car, which has the Fastrak transponder, so we should be good. But we usually rent, which is what happened last time. Seems like a pretty shady ploy
I believe most local rental cars will provide a transponder upon request. But, I've never personally verified that, so can't be sure.

Old 02-11-2016, 04:07 PM

3,439 posts, read 3,256,557 times
if you have the penalty, just get an account, they will forgive the penalty

Old 02-11-2016, 04:10 PM

3,439 posts, read 3,256,557 times
waze and google don't have the No Toll Road Option. they will direct you immediately to the fastest, which is the toll road

Old 02-11-2016, 05:24 PM

27 posts, read 32,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
waze and google don't have the No Toll Road Option. they will direct you immediately to the fastest, which is the toll road
Not true, at least not on Waze which the OP mentions they used.
Settings > Navigation > Avoid toll roads

Old 02-16-2016, 05:46 AM

19 posts, read 16,715 times
Yeah they changed the way they do the tolls now. Rather than going through an actual toll they just expect you to know you were on a toll road and if you didn't pay in advance you get fined. It's pretty lame.

Drivers rack up tickets on toll roads - The Orange County Register

Old 02-17-2016, 05:57 PM

9,716 posts, read 7,539,974 times
It's so easy now! You just go to the website and pay for your tolls within a couple of days.

We had a transponder when we lived there, now we have rental cars when we're in town. No big deal. Very convenient.

Old 03-09-2019, 07:18 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,331,948 times
Wanted to revive this one, as I got a violation notice in the mail today for $121, when I logged on the day after I last used the 241 and 261, even created an account, added my Amex card, checked back every week or two, and my account still shows no tolls or violations due. What kind of scam is this? How can my account show nothing due and the letter says I skipped out on a toll? I have only ever ridden my motorcycle on those roads, AZ license plate. I own the bike free and clear, have the title in hand, and the letter says they'll put a lien on my title if I don't pay by May 5th. WTF?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County