Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2016, 06:35 PM

3 posts, read 4,250 times

Advertisements

I am currently a mid-20s female looking to move to the OC area for an internship. I am trying to find a safe location to live in for the next year by myself. Are there any areas that would be safe and decent in rent? I am going to be making 3500$ a month before taxes. My internship would be along the coast near Belmont Heights so anything within a 25-30 minute commute would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 03:32 AM

26 posts, read 28,532 times
I would say Seal Beach which is just south of there. You can find some affordable rent, its a cute small beach town and from what Ive heard from friends that live there it is safe.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:34 PM

3 posts, read 2,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny16 View Post
I would say Seal Beach which is just south of there. You can find some affordable rent, its a cute small beach town and from what Ive heard from friends that live there it is safe.
I completely agree. Seal Beach for the most part is a nice town with some great neighborhoods. I would also look into Huntington Beach. It does have somewhat of a bad rep, but its the same as any other city. You just have to know where you're at. Just like Anaheim, just like Yorba Linda, etc. I would look at the northern end of Huntington if you were so inclined

Old 03-07-2016, 01:37 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,642,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caramoo View Post
Are there any areas that would be safe and decent in rent? I am going to be making 3500$ a month before taxes.
Have you figured out what your actual take home pay will be after deducting U.S. Federal and California State income taxes?

It's likely that your take home will be less than $3000 a month, and that won't go far in California, even in "affordable" areas like Seal Beach or Huntington Beach. For example, a quick search of current rentals in Seal Beach shows there are only three rentals available for under $2000. The lowest price one is $1600 a month, not including utilities. So, that would be tight if your pre-tax income is only $3500 a month.

One option might be to look for a roommate/home sharing situation, which would probably be do-able if you can find something close to your internship.

But, maybe it would be best to get a firm idea of what your take home will be, work out a budget for rent, food, transportation, and then give your ballpark rental budget here to ask for suggestions.

Good luck with your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County