Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 10:04 AM

548 posts, read 473,661 times

Advertisements

Saw this on the LA forum, but the map also includes OC.

The data only goes up to 2010, so I definitely feel it's out of date. One thing I noticed is that it considered the Platinum Triangle area a "Latino Growth/ White Decline" neighborhood. With all the luxury apartments booming over there I'm sure that has turned around in the past 5 years.

http://mikebader.net/media/neighborh...ity=losangeles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 09:57 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupBro View Post

The data only goes up to 2010, so I definitely feel it's out of date. One thing I noticed is that it considered the Platinum Triangle area a "Latino Growth/ White Decline" neighborhood. With all the luxury apartments booming over there I'm sure that has turned around in the past 5 years.

Who is to say Latinos can't rent luxury apartments? Sounds like a tired unjustified stereotype to me.

This reminds me of when a buddy and I were walking down West St in Anaheim and I was telling him that the area was heavily Hispanic. He said he couldn't believe Hispanics owned most of the homes in the area (large homes on large lots) while I was hearing mariachi music and Spanglish coming out of a number of back yards. Goes to show you how stereotypes don't hold sometimes.

Old 03-12-2016, 01:02 AM

548 posts, read 473,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
Who is to say Latinos can't rent luxury apartments? Sounds like a tired unjustified stereotype to me.

This reminds me of when a buddy and I were walking down West St in Anaheim and I was telling him that the area was heavily Hispanic. He said he couldn't believe Hispanics owned most of the homes in the area (large homes on large lots) while I was hearing mariachi music and Spanglish coming out of a number of back yards. Goes to show you how stereotypes don't hold sometimes.
Here's Median Income In The US By Race - Business Insider

I couldn't find the exact figures for Anaheim, but if you think the demographic that luxury developers are targeting is Hispanic I would like to see your evidence for it.

I just bought into a new multi family construction complex near the packing house. Haven't seen a single Hispanic neighbor yet. All white and Asian.

The vast majority of the single family homes around me are Hispanic rented/owned.

There is a clear correlation between race and HH income. I didn't know that was really up for debate?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...EnM4AAMp_0Vuhw

Last edited by SupBro; 03-12-2016 at 01:18 AM..

Old 03-12-2016, 06:54 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:

For all you know all or a majority or minority of those people are renting. You have no idea of the ratio unless you polled occupant/resident in that city as to their ownership or renter status. I'm not stereotyping anyone. But your statement is ridiculous if you're basing home ownership on mariachi music and Spanish/Spanglish coming out of back yards.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:00 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,687,308 times
Quote:

If, it's hasn't changed during the past 5 years, then, maybe it just means that middle-class Hispanics are moving in, while those who are low-income (white and Hispanic) are moving out.

Absent 2014-2015 statistics to show otherwise, this article supports that view for Anaheim in general, if not specifically for the Platinum Triangle:

In Disneyland's shadow, a rising new demographic - latimes

Anaheim's Latino population has more than tripled since 1980 and now stands at 186,000, making Orange County's second-largest city the latest to become majority Latino -- at 54.5% -- according to new census estimates.

But unlike Southern California's impoverished gateways for Latino immigration -- such as Los Angeles' Pico-Union neighborhood or Santa Ana, one of the nation's most heavily Latino large cities, whose proportion of foreign-born residents has been ranked second only to Miami's -- Anaheim is pointed toward a future as a middle-class Latino community like Whittier and Downey, demographers say.

Some, like Perez, point to the emergence of a new social order, one in which a full spectrum of Latinos can find a place, from the recent immigrant to the newly minted middle-class family.

"So maybe there's been an exodus of middle-class people from other backgrounds," said Perez, a political director for a union. "But now there's larger diversity for Latinos . . . there's more access socially.

Last edited by pacific2; 03-12-2016 at 08:43 AM..

Old 03-12-2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
For all you know all or a majority or minority of those people are renting. You have no idea of the ratio unless you polled occupant/resident in that city as to their ownership or renter status. I'm not stereotyping anyone. But your statement is ridiculous if you're basing home ownership on mariachi music and Spanish/Spanglish coming out of back yards.
I was also going by the stat that the two zip codes in question (92801 and 92805) are 58% and 75% Hispanic, respectively. Granted, home ownership can't necessarily be gauged by language and music choices, but my "quick and dirty" summation is at best very anecdotal, though "ridiculous" is a bit charged, Electrician.

I have seen a mix of people in that particular corridor (West between North and Lincoln) with Hispanic predominating by a bit.

It is just irksome to hear people say that member of said group couldn't possibly own said property.

Old 03-12-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
If, it's hasn't changed during the past 5 years, then, maybe it just means that middle-class Hispanics are moving in, while those who are low-income (white and Hispanic) are moving out.

Absent 2014-2015 statistics to show otherwise, this article supports that view for Anaheim in general, if not specifically for the Platinum Triangle:

In Disneyland's shadow, a rising new demographic - latimes

Anaheim's Latino population has more than tripled since 1980 and now stands at 186,000, making Orange County's second-largest city the latest to become majority Latino -- at 54.5% -- according to new census estimates.

But unlike Southern California's impoverished gateways for Latino immigration -- such as Los Angeles' Pico-Union neighborhood or Santa Ana, one of the nation's most heavily Latino large cities, whose proportion of foreign-born residents has been ranked second only to Miami's -- Anaheim is pointed toward a future as a middle-class Latino community like Whittier and Downey, demographers say.

Some, like Perez, point to the emergence of a new social order, one in which a full spectrum of Latinos can find a place, from the recent immigrant to the newly minted middle-class family.

"So maybe there's been an exodus of middle-class people from other backgrounds," said Perez, a political director for a union. "But now there's larger diversity for Latinos . . . there's more access socially.
Don't know if this matters much, but the National Resource Network's list of Economically Challenged Cities has Santa Ana on it (only Orange County city on the list) but not Anaheim. This seems to give credence to the idea that Anaheim has a future similar to Whittier's and Downey's, at least as far as Latino demographics are concerned.

Old 03-12-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Here's Median Income In The US By Race - Business Insider

I couldn't find the exact figures for Anaheim, but if you think the demographic that luxury developers are targeting is Hispanic I would like to see your evidence for it.

I just bought into a new multi family construction complex near the packing house. Haven't seen a single Hispanic neighbor yet. All white and Asian.

The vast majority of the single family homes around me are Hispanic rented/owned.

There is a clear correlation between race and HH income. I didn't know that was really up for debate?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...EnM4AAMp_0Vuhw
First, Hispanic is not a "race"; it is an ethnicity, according to people that keep track of this stuff.

Second, I don't know that luxury developers are targeting any particular race/ethnic group; they're after people with money, whomever they might be.

Third, some Hispanics don't look like one would expect. I have been fooled a few times by light skinned folks that are Hispanic.

Fourth, thank you for the SFR anecdotal relation.

Fifth, ANYTHING on this board is up for debate. Why did you post if you weren't expecting a discussion to happen? Really?

Old 03-12-2016, 11:39 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
Quote:
First, Hispanic is not a "race"; it is an ethnicity, according to people that keep track of this stuff.

Second, I don't know that luxury developers are targeting any particular race/ethnic group; they're after people with money, whomever they might be.

Third, some Hispanics don't look like one would expect. I have been fooled a few times by light skinned folks that are Hispanic.

Fourth, thank you for the SFR anecdotal relation.

Fifth, ANYTHING on this board is up for debate. Why did you post if you weren't expecting a discussion to happen? Really?
I had to chuckle. Hispania (the Latin name for the Iberian peninsula), in case anyone here doesn't know, is part of Europe. Hispania was the immediate migrating zone from which the vast majority of the people of Ireland descend some three to four thousand years ago. Modern day research shows that native Iberians hail from Celtic (heavily), Carthaginian, "Roman", Phoenician, Visigoth, Hellenic (Greek) coastal settlements, and Moorish invaders. Perhaps I am missing some influences, but I think the point has been made. I know Hispanic means something different to many insofar as Latin Americans are concerned, but it is important to remember the root. FWIW, in Spain our "Hispanics" are called "Latinos".

With regard to demographic changes in OC, I see no issues. As long as my neighbors are clean cut, obey the law, maintain their property, and mind their children (both in terms of behavior and school performance), who cares? Two ++ if they are friendly.

Old 03-12-2016, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I had to chuckle. Hispania (the Latin name for the Iberian peninsula), in case anyone here doesn't know, is part of Europe. Hispania was the immediate migrating zone from which the vast majority of the people of Ireland descend some three to four thousand years ago. Modern day research shows that native Iberians hail from Celtic (heavily), Carthaginian, "Roman", Phoenician, Visigoth, Hellenic (Greek) coastal settlements, and Moorish invaders. Perhaps I am missing some influences, but I think the point has been made. I know Hispanic means something different to many insofar as Latin Americans are concerned, but it is important to remember the root. FWIW, in Spain our "Hispanics" are called "Latinos".

With regard to demographic changes in OC, I see no issues. As long as my neighbors are clean cut, obey the law, maintain their property, and mind their children (both in terms of behavior and school performance), who cares? Two ++ if they are friendly.
Oh, yeah, true enough. It's just what we tend to encounter in Southern California as far as the "protypical Latino".

People talk of "white" people speaking Spanish as if it were some anomaly. They are the ones who started it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County