Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2017, 12:01 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Until you consider recidivism whereby someone might be out on parole or a person with a lengthy record steals "just a tv" (worth $800) from, say, Walmart. Making that crime a misdemeanor, which we did, means that the person may walk and thus is encouraged/emboldened to commit more such crimes.
Did you read the rest of what he said? 2 weeks in house arrest. No walking away and it increases for each new arrest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
The most recent FBI report, released last week (February 2017) shows crime in San Diego at its lowest level in four decades.

City leaders Tuesday hailed statistics for calendar year 2016 that showed San Diego crime dropped to its lowest level in four decades.

Overall, crime in San Diego decreased by 2.3 percent in 2016 from the prior year, with violent crime down 4.5 percent.

Crime Rate In San Diego Drops To Lowest In Decades | KPBS

Meanwhile the national rate of violent crime was up 5.3% last year (2016).

There are many reasons crime can go up or down in certain areas. While I don't doubt that measures like Prop. 47 play a role in *some* crimes, it is doubtful that it plays a role in all crimes. If you want to say that it does, then I guess it must be working in San Diego.
This is true. Many things impact crime in a given area.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:52 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
With the amount of offenders that fall into this category, what would this house arrest program cost?

What other aid would be offered to these offenders to help them find work, or integrate back into society?

The program you're suggesting sounds interesting but I'd like to know more details please.
The California Dept of Corrections calculated the cost of GPS monitoring of sex offenders to cost $8 a day. Most County jails estimate much.lower in the range of $3 a day and require offenders to pay for it as a condition of participation.

AB109 has provided counties with lots of money for rehab programs. Higher risk offenders are mandated to day reporting where they have to go to probation from 3-5 days a week for job training, counseling, drug rehab. It's a good program if implemented well. The only way offenders can get out of day reporting is to get a job which they all find preferable to spending every day under the supervision of probation officers

Old 02-28-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Until you consider recidivism whereby someone might be out on parole or a person with a lengthy record steals "just a tv" (worth $800) from, say, Walmart. Making that crime a misdemeanor, which we did, means that the person may walk and thus is encouraged/emboldened to commit more such crimes.
California still has a relatively low threshold for felony theft @ $950 last time I checked I believe the average is $1000 and I can't find any studies that show an increased rate of shoplifting when the threshold is raised

Old 03-01-2017, 09:34 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,986,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The California Dept of Corrections calculated the cost of GPS monitoring of sex offenders to cost $8 a day. Most County jails estimate much.lower in the range of $3 a day and require offenders to pay for it as a condition of participation.

AB109 has provided counties with lots of money for rehab programs. Higher risk offenders are mandated to day reporting where they have to go to probation from 3-5 days a week for job training, counseling, drug rehab. It's a good program if implemented well. The only way offenders can get out of day reporting is to get a job which they all find preferable to spending every day under the supervision of probation officers
Does that include the cost of sending people to chase them down if they move 50+ feet away? What is included in the $3 a day cost estimate?

What about if they invite the crime (drugs) to their own place under the guise of a friend visiting?

Old 03-01-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Does that include the cost of sending people to chase them down if they move 50+ feet away? What is included in the $3 a day cost estimate?
What about if they invite the crime (drugs) to their own place under the guise of a friend visiting?
You asked a question, I answered it. I believe that I was clear that the figures I provided covered only the cost of the GPS monitoring. If you want to know the cost of supervision by various agencies, google it, it's readily available.

Old 03-01-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You asked a question, I answered it. I believe that I was clear that the figures I provided covered only the cost of the GPS monitoring. If you want to know the cost of supervision by various agencies, google it, it's readily available.
Hmm. Only the cost of GPS monitoring? So you only presented PART of the picture when it comes to impact on taxpayers. Funny you only clarify that now.

I would google the information about "total enforcement cost", but why should I when I have someone here who claims to have worked for actual law enforcement agencies? I have the actual expert right here!

So, what is the cost per day TOTAL (including man hours to enforce and monitor) these people in your "home arrest" program that you suggested and mentioned in this thread as an alternative to keeping criminals in a prison or country jail?

Old 03-01-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Hmm. Only the cost of GPS monitoring? So you only presented PART of the picture when it comes to impact on taxpayers. Funny you only clarify that now.

I would google the information about "total enforcement cost", but why should I when I have someone here who claims to have worked for actual law enforcement agencies? I have the actual expert right here!

So, what is the cost per day TOTAL (including man hours to enforce and monitor) these people in your "home arrest" program that you suggested and mentioned in this thread as an alternative to keeping criminals in a prison or country jail?
Bet it is cheaper than chasing them down after they rob Walmart.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Bet it is cheaper than chasing them down after they rob Walmart.
Rob a Walmart or beat someone to death like in West Oakland when Philip Low was literally beaten to death by two black adult males who had extensive rap sheets, yet... were somehow still on the streets.

I'm still waiting for 2sleepy to explain how her suggested program of releasing these criminals into a "house arrest" situation is somehow cheaper, SAFER for the general public, and going to be more effective than just keeping them... you know... in prison.

I think we'll be waiting for a long time.

Old 03-02-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Rob a Walmart or beat someone to death like in West Oakland when Philip Low was literally beaten to death by two black adult males who had extensive rap sheets, yet... were somehow still on the streets.

I'm still waiting for 2sleepy to explain how her suggested program of releasing these criminals into a "house arrest" situation is somehow cheaper, SAFER for the general public, and going to be more effective than just keeping them... you know... in prison.

I think we'll be waiting for a long time.
The trouble is there are too many in prison now. How do we get people to stop becoming criminals? They number grows each year. Getting rid of the death penalty did not help, and allowing challenges to it to go on forever, just made it worse. Criminals have 2 mind sets.

1. They won't be caught
2. If they are, they get free food and entertainment with buddy's until they are let out again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County