Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 11:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,638 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone
Me and my wife are architects and are planning to open our own firm and we are having our first baby so we need to decide where to start the firm which would have a better market and at the same time think about the future of our baby and the enviroment which he/she must be raised in.
So please give me your opinions which place is best for living considering both the architecture firm and the baby future.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 11:27 AM

347 posts, read 667,487 times
Holy cow you couldn't have picked two more different cities. Seriously... they are at each on opposite ends of the spectrum. One is one of the coolest cities on earth (San Francisco) and the other is the most boring place on earth (Irvine).

Old 10-09-2016, 10:04 PM

15 posts, read 15,029 times
Actually there's alot of local pride among the Irvine millennial natives, but you wouldn't understand. We don't care about being cool. Irvine is about world class education and luxary living while having all of Southern California's amenities at your finger tips.

I'm tired of this cookie cutter bashing, one day modern suburb development will look more historical like the Victorian Home models. 21st century suburban architecture will gain its charm far into the future. Nothing stays new forever so i vote for Irvine's smart growth pattern. South Orange County is the future and the suburban model copied by Phoenix and Houston.

Old 10-09-2016, 11:39 PM

347 posts, read 667,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buildingz R' Us View Post
We don't care about being cool.
Exactly my point.

Old 10-10-2016, 01:11 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,421,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Planner View Post
Exactly my point.
Truly being cool would be not knocking what others like. Phony cool is vastly different (see this thread).

True Cool is laid back and what ever man......

Old 10-10-2016, 01:30 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,765,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buildingz R' Us View Post
Actually there's alot of local pride among the Irvine millennial natives, but you wouldn't understand. We don't care about being cool. Irvine is about world class education and luxary living while having all of Southern California's amenities at your finger tips.

I'm tired of this cookie cutter bashing, one day modern suburb development will look more historical like the Victorian Home models. 21st century suburban architecture will gain its charm far into the future. Nothing stays new forever so i vote for Irvine's smart growth pattern. South Orange County is the future and the suburban model copied by Phoenix and Houston.
Woodbridge is the only area of Irvine that will likely ever be considered "charming" in the future, and it will be taken with a grain of salt compared to homes from the Victorian era. Also, there is nothing smart or sustainable about Irvine's growth patterns. It follows the same outdated, decentralized suburban planning model that has been around since the mid 20th century.

Irvine is a nice, clean, family friendly, upper middle class city, but from an urban planning perspective it is NOT representative of "smart" growth at all.

Old 10-10-2016, 02:18 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,291,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronizzle View Post
Uh. No it won't.

Tract suburban development will also look like the cheap, horribly designed construction it is.
do they still build Victorian these days?

Old 10-10-2016, 03:42 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,291,808 times
if they don't build Victorians anymore, don't expect cities to be "cool" just like your San Francisco neighborhood you are particularly proud of because only the rich can afford them. its either you live in a tract neighborhood which you despise or hi rise glass condominiums/apartments

I forget, Detroit still has a lot of Victorians or colonials

Old 10-10-2016, 03:57 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,189,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
if they don't build Victorians anymore, don't expect cities to be "cool" just like your San Francisco neighborhood you are particularly proud of because only the rich can afford them. its either you live in a tract neighborhood which you despise or hi rise glass condominiums/apartments

I forget, Detroit still has a lot of Victorians or colonials

City of Orange and Santa Ana has some very nice painted lady Victorians.

Why is Irvine the only option in OC? It's surrounded by some nice not cookie cutter areas like Lag Beach, Orange (old town) Santa Ana (old town).

If your architects you might be happier on the North Coast. There's a lot more interesting architecture there.

Old 10-18-2016, 01:40 AM

218 posts, read 351,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
City of Orange and Santa Ana has some very nice painted lady Victorians.

Why is Irvine the only option in OC? It's surrounded by some nice not cookie cutter areas like Lag Beach, Orange (old town) Santa Ana (old town).

If your architects you might be happier on the North Coast. There's a lot more interesting architecture there.
Irvine architecture, and landscape architecture, is in a modern style with white buildings, mirrored windows on office buildings, and green trees. So it is all white and green. I like this, I also like Temecula and Carlsbad, who did the same thing. Irvine doesn't have any smart growth except for the 4 story smart growth apartment towers. Nobody seems to know who invented the smart growth tower. Maybe Donald Bren did??????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County