Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 01:06 AM

3,884 posts, read 4,534,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGregorShow View Post
But the people from Santa ana don't go to Irvine?
Sure they do... often to work. Last restaurant I worked in was Newport Beach. The crew was almost all Hispanics who lived in Santa Ana and Costa Mesa.

But yeah, people who live in Santa Ana go wherever they want to. There's a lot of great Chinese restaurants in Irvine. Also, while SA has a rep for crime and being a sanctuary city for illegals, there's a few very expensive areas there with really cool old houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 06:34 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
This is what I meant by the question. Does everyone just generally stay in their city or do they go to other cities like everyday.
Most "cities" in OC are more like bedroom communities where you live and sleep but you do go to, and through, many cities to go to work, the Mall, the beach, Disneyland, etc. Only a few have enough things to do within the city limits to keep people there most of the time. OC actually rarely has a definable city limit, the street numbers just change as you pass from one to another. Hard to tell when you are in a city and when you have left it. Now Santa Ana to Irvine would only be a trip for work or something special as there is nothing that much of interest in Irvine except a special event perhaps.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:21 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
If you're in the far side of Irvine and going say to the Balboa peninsula and going down 55 to Newport Bl on a busy weekend you could be looking at 1/2 hr to get there and 1/2 hr to finally find a parking spot
True, it depends on the specific place.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Also Irvine is one of the most safest places in America, but Santa Ana is like 5 miles away? How is this possible?
The Irvine police force is highly paid and they want to remain so. If you see homeless, call the police. If you see drunken teenagers, call the police. They have told my husband to not be afraid to call.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Irvine cops also have a reputation as jerks (whether that's true or not), and that keeps a lot of riff raff out. They're way too easy of targets.
They even stopped my husband because his rear light was not working. You don't want to mess around with them.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I still don't think you grasp the layout of OC. The cities are not very large and there are no breaks between them. People definitely DO go to other cities every day. Or they might stay close to home in their own city. It just depends on the person. But, for instance, if I want to go to a mall or the beach I have to leave my city because there are no malls or beaches there. My husband works in another city. My daughter goes to school in yet another city. And it is just totally not a big deal or something people ever think about.

Of course, the lower-income you are, the more likely you are to stay close to home. Transportation costs money. If the question is why do Santa Ana gang bangers not go wreak havoc in Irvine, the answer is that they can do that where they are and why should they make an effort to travel somewhere else to do it.
It's not just OC, it's LA too. I don't think anyone can answer this question.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:00 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,984,084 times
Quote:
Also Irvine is one of the most safest places in America, but Santa Ana is like 5 miles away? How is this possible?
I can't say the answer her publicly without offending some SJWs and other hardcore leftist who think speaking the truth is waaycist.

But if you private message me, I'll give you the real truth about why Santa Ana is the way it is, and Irvine is the way it is.

Old 06-06-2016, 11:23 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Most "cities" in OC are more like bedroom communities where you live and sleep but you do go to, and through, many cities to go to work, the Mall, the beach, Disneyland, etc. Only a few have enough things to do within the city limits to keep people there most of the time. OC actually rarely has a definable city limit, the street numbers just change as you pass from one to another. Hard to tell when you are in a city and when you have left it. Now Santa Ana to Irvine would only be a trip for work or something special as there is nothing that much of interest in Irvine except a special event perhaps.
This is true but many of us work at home. There are also towns like my own that can meet 90% of my shopping needs... and 70% of my dining needs are met within a 5 mile radius, and obviously my beach needs are also met closeby, just over the border in Dana Point. Thus 90%+ of my needs are met in Laguna Niguel, Dana Point, sometimes Aliso. Much much more rarely do I make the trek to Newps, LB, San Clemente, GG/Westminster for food etc. There are hiking trips, but those are not all the time. There are trips to SD, LA etc, but do those count?

Besides I'm a guy and don't do malls. With the Net I can buy my favorite shoes online, work clothes. The Internet is a guy's best friend.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 06-06-2016 at 11:34 AM..

Old 06-06-2016, 12:32 PM

271 posts, read 214,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
I can't say the answer her publicly without offending some SJWs and other hardcore leftist who think speaking the truth is waaycist.

But if you private message me, I'll give you the real truth about why Santa Ana is the way it is, and Irvine is the way it is.

Pfft. Just man up and say it. No need for PMs. Otherwise boring forums stay boring.

You have to make sure it's juicier than "Because Mexicans live there," though. That's just *yawn*

Serious question:

Why is Santa Ana safer than say East LA, South El Monte, Inglewood, etc?

Old 06-06-2016, 12:37 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,984,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yermum View Post
Pfft. Just man up and say it. No need for PMs. Otherwise boring forums stay boring.

You have to make sure it's juicier than "Because Mexicans live there," though. That's just *yawn*
Well I'm new here, I'm trying to not "kick up too much dust" so to speak.

But the truth is the truth. Santa Ana is the way it is because of very real, factual reasons and Irvine is the way it is because of very real, factual reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County