Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 01:08 PM

342 posts, read 1,428,174 times

Advertisements

Hi - I know I can try to look this up - but thought I could get some quick answers here. I was looking at going to Rancho Santa Margarita from Anaheim or Santa Ana area and mapquest gave me a route on 133 and 241 which appear to be tolls. I also could just take 5 to Oso Pkwy and in that way. It has been many years since I have been back and am wondering what the tolls cost and which way you guys would suggest. One said it was an electronic toll and I didn't know what that meant. The only tolls I have been on just take quarters (and that has been many years ago too).

Thanks for your suggestions and info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 03:17 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,691,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveOC View Post
Hi - I know I can try to look this up - but thought I could get some quick answers here. I was looking at going to Rancho Santa Margarita from Anaheim or Santa Ana area and mapquest gave me a route on 133 and 241 which appear to be tolls. I also could just take 5 to Oso Pkwy and in that way. It has been many years since I have been back and am wondering what the tolls cost and which way you guys would suggest. One said it was an electronic toll and I didn't know what that meant. The only tolls I have been on just take quarters (and that has been many years ago too).

Thanks for your suggestions and info.
That 5->133->241 route is probably the fastest and most direct one. Oso traffic is often heavy and there is construction going on around the 5/Oso. “Electronic toll” may refer to the fact that the booths are unmanned; and people can use either a prepaid transponder, or coins. Unmanned OC toll booths have coin machines.

It looks like it will cost you about $2.75 to enter at 133/5 and exit at 241/Santa Margarita PKWY on weekends.

Try the trip calculator at:
https://www.thetollroads.com

Last edited by pacific2; 04-14-2012 at 03:26 PM..

Old 04-14-2012, 05:04 PM

Pacific2 - thanks. I did look it up but figured some of you who know the roads could add something - as you did with the construction.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveOC View Post
Pacific2 - thanks. I did look it up but figured some of you who know the roads could add something - as you did with the construction.
You’re welcome. I figured as much, but I threw in the website because it allows you to calculate costs for future reference.
Oso traffic can be a bummer, especially with the construction at the 5, and I think there may still be some minor stuff around Oso/ Marguerite Parkway.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:26 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,379,295 times
Forget the toll roads, forget Oso Parkway. Take I-5 south to Alicia Parkway. Take Alicia Parkway east about 5 miles through Mission Viejo and up the hill to the end at Santa Margarita Parkway. Turn right on Santa Margarita Parkway and you are in RSM. I have driven this route countless hundreds of times and it is really not that many more minutes of driving compared to the toll road route, especially if you avoid peak commute hours. In fact, since you don't have a toll road transponder, it will save you the hassle of fumbling around for a ton of coins to pay your tolls so it might actually be faster.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Forget the toll roads, forget Oso Parkway. Take I-5 south to Alicia Parkway. Take Alicia Parkway east about 5 miles through Mission Viejo and up the hill to the end at Santa Margarita Parkway. Turn right on Santa Margarita Parkway and you are in RSM. I have driven this route countless hundreds of times and it is really not that many more minutes of driving compared to the toll road route, especially if you avoid peak commute hours. In fact, since you don't have a toll road transponder, it will save you the hassle of fumbling around for a ton of coins to pay your tolls so it might actually be faster.
To each his own, but I find the trip up Alicia to be slow because there are just too many traffic lights and it's too congested. Even short trips can be a pain. Also, $2.75 doesn't really involve a ton of coins. You just place three dollars into the machine and voila, out come the coins. Still, I have no stake in this either way.

Last edited by pacific2; 04-14-2012 at 05:58 PM..

Old 04-14-2012, 08:22 PM

64 posts, read 134,161 times
I would take Oso, the traffic is negligible. The Alicia way is fine too. No need for the toll road.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:17 PM

296 posts, read 1,250,946 times
I'd take Oso or Alicia... I've never had a problem with either, I live in RSM and never take the tolls.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:31 PM

Thanks to everyone for their help on this question.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,402 times
Am coming from Los Angeles going to Rancho Santa Margarita but i dont want to use the toll road? What is the best freeway to use Please?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County