Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 09:09 PM

121 posts, read 183,735 times

Advertisements

San Clemente is definitely lower on the yuppy scale than nearby Dana Point and Laguna Beach. Even the affluent locals generally don't act like it, San Clemente has a VERY strong "locals only, anti-corporate, surf culture, etc" type vibe. Part of the reason I found it interesting they decided to develop the new Outlets at San Clemente which mostly has national brand stores, as locals literally won't shop there and it's a ghost town 99% of the time. Whoops.

Unfortunately there are less hotel options than the other nearby coastal cities, however you should be able to find something. You'll mostly find marines on weekend nights that come up to go to the bars.

It's a fun city with great beaches and you should have a good time there. Can also make quick trips to Dana Point for its harbor and Laguna Beach for its downtown and picturesque beaches.

Last edited by OCerik; 06-14-2016 at 09:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 07:16 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
I seems like San Clemente does not have any hotels within walking distance to the main beach, and San Clemente Pier. There is apparently a beach on the north side of town. Can anyone tell me about that beach? Is it a quieter beach?

Old 06-15-2016, 09:52 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
It is pretty quiet but busier by the pier. There is train noise down there as the tracks are close by. Will you have a car or bike? There are hotels by downtown and from there it is a long walk (or quick drive or ride) to the beach.

Check out Casa Romantica.
Check out the Spanish/Med architecture all around (by design).

Truly, it is a great place. Notice no one from SC will speak up. There is a reason.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
It is pretty quiet but busier by the pier. There is train noise down there as the tracks are close by. Will you have a car or bike? There are hotels by downtown and from there it is a long walk (or quick drive or ride) to the beach.

Check out Casa Romantica.
Check out the Spanish/Med architecture all around (by design).

Truly, it is a great place. Notice no one from SC will speak up. There is a reason.
I will have a car, but I talked to some people. There are no lockers by the beach for me to keep my keys and wallet in. I cannot go into the water. Last year I stayed in Encinitas, and the hotel is two blocks from the beach literally.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:34 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
The other poster mentioned OC beach towns are generally affluent. Maybe the young marines are not paid enough, and have to find cheaper housing, while the older marines are paid more.
In some cases, that is true. But, another reason is that the "main gate" for Camp Pendleton is in Oceanside. A lot of the on base work areas, housing and on base services/shopping are near the main gate. Like all of us, marines tend to prefer to live closer to where they work.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:43 PM

14,304 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I will have a car, but I talked to some people. There are no lockers by the beach for me to keep my keys and wallet in. I cannot go into the water. Last year I stayed in Encinitas, and the hotel is two blocks from the beach literally.
Can I ask--why did you pick San Clemente particularly? Since it seems like it doesn't really have what you are looking for.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Can I ask--why did you pick San Clemente particularly? Since it seems like it doesn't really have what you are looking for.
I just want somewhere in Between SD, and LA, I am also considering Oceanside.

But I just booked a hotel in Dana Point. Can you now tell me about Dana Point? Is it more affluent than San Clemente?

Old 06-16-2016, 09:51 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
I don't know about more affluent, but it is more high brow, yes. I hope you picked the Ritz, but Laguna Cliffs isn't bad either. Dana Point is great. I can try and answer questions here. What would you like to know? PM if you need to.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 06-16-2016 at 10:06 PM..

Old 06-17-2016, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I don't know about more affluent, but it is more high brow, yes. I hope you picked the Ritz, but Laguna Cliffs isn't bad either. Dana Point is great. I can try and answer questions here. What would you like to know? PM if you need to.
I just want to know what are some sites and attractions in and around Dana Point. I hear there is some oceanic center. Is it worth checking out? And also what is the water temperature in mid July? Do I need wetsuit?

Old 06-21-2016, 01:29 PM

534 posts, read 480,656 times
I lived in Dana Point for a year. It's definitely a nice area, less laidback than San Clemente. It's fine. There's a good mexican market/taco stand along PCH that is quite good. Not a lot of young people in either city compared to Costa Mesa/Newport/Huntington etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County