U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 04:20 AM

2 posts, read 9,789 times

Advertisements

Looking for some recommendations on a safe and affordable rental area between LAX and Orange (the city, not the county). Is there a reasonable halfway point between these two cities that would a desirable place to live (and where the commute wouldn't be a nightmare)? We're a young white/Asian interracial couple - is this a dangerous combination in certain parts of SoCal?

We currently live in Culver City and like it very much; but it makes no sense for the both of us to be commuting southbound on the 405 for work every day. Husband who works near LAX has a short commute, but wife who works in Orange has a 50- to 60-minute commute (and that's with no heavy traffic)

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2006, 06:48 AM

2,071 posts, read 11,663,996 times
Default Long Beach

Have you considered Long Beach? It's in the mid-way point to LAX and Orange. On a good traffic day, you would be able to get to either destination within 30 minutes or so. You'd be near the 405, 605 and 22 freeways.

Old 11-27-2006, 11:25 AM

2,624 posts, read 6,881,542 times
Cerritos is probably a better option than Long Beach and it's also about halfway between LAX and Orange and about a 30 minute or so commute to each destination. In addition, the overall ambiance of Cerritos is similar to that of Culver City, while parts of Long Beach aren't particularly safe.

Old 11-30-2006, 04:13 PM

800 posts, read 4,152,143 times
I know it's more money, but what about Seal Beach?

Old 11-30-2006, 05:48 PM

2,624 posts, read 6,881,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Bear View Post
I know it's more money, but what about Seal Beach?
The Seal Beach Naval Weapons Station comprises about 2/3 of the land within the city and it's also the home of Leisure World (a retirement community with around 10,000 residents). In addition, Seal Beach is not as diverse as Culver City. Other than that, Seal Beach is okay as far as commuting to LAX and Orange goes.

Old 12-01-2006, 12:44 PM

346 posts, read 2,078,882 times
I think Lakewood is a nice area to live and it's RIGHT in between the two so the commute would be more equal. You would also have several different freeway choices for getting around so you have alternative routes. I think it's fairly affordable there too and comparable to Culver City. The problem with finding something in between is that LAX is more west and Orange is inland and east so what is between there is Compton and bad areas like that. Look for something in North Orange county... Good luck!

Old 12-02-2006, 12:48 AM

35,825 posts, read 20,300,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Cerritos is probably a better option than Long Beach and it's also about halfway between LAX and Orange and about a 30 minute or so commute to each destination. In addition, the overall ambiance of Cerritos is similar to that of Culver City, while parts of Long Beach aren't particularly safe.
I grew up in Cerritos (went to junior high and high school there, and could even remember when the dairies were still right next to new tract homes, like the neighborhood I grew up in). Very nice area, lots of Asians living there as well. I refer to Cerritos as "Irvine L.A. County." The nearby O.C. cities of La Palma and Cypress are also quite nice and safe.

Old 12-02-2006, 12:54 AM

35,825 posts, read 20,300,886 times
Thumbs up Lakewood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des_Demona View Post
I think Lakewood is a nice area to live and it's RIGHT in between the two so the commute would be more equal. You would also have several different freeway choices for getting around so you have alternative routes. I think it's fairly affordable there too and comparable to Culver City. The problem with finding something in between is that LAX is more west and Orange is inland and east so what is between there is Compton and bad areas like that. Look for something in North Orange county... Good luck!
Thanks for the positive recommendation for my hometown, Des_Demona. What I love about living here in Lakewood, aside from the fact that it's a nice, safe community, is that it's centrally located to all the major freeways. Where I live, I have my choice of taking the 91, 605, 710 and 405, because I'm surrounded by those freeways, making it very convenient to get to just about anywhere in L.A. or O.C.

Old 12-02-2006, 02:38 PM

2 posts, read 9,789 times
Thanks so much for all the help, everyone! This will be great information to use for our housing search.

Old 12-04-2006, 04:23 PM

346 posts, read 2,078,882 times
Dennis I really liked Lakewood the few times I've been there. It's nice and centrally located like you say with great access to multiple freeways which is always a plus and really central to where Chia Ling is looking for. Chia Ling I wish you the best of luck on your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County