U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2008, 03:22 PM

22 posts, read 67,643 times

Advertisements

We lived in South OC about 3 years ago and were fortunate to sell near the top. It's quite a lovely place and we would like to come back, though we are not interested in purchasing again for a while. $1,500 rent would be just fine for a while as we have no children.

I have worked primarily in the sales, mortgage, and stock brokerage industries (i.e. financial services). I do have a four year degree but no MBA (yet) though I'm working on that.

Can someone tell me what the current employment environment is in the OC (or SoCal in general)? (It's tough to tell just from the online job boards). I'm sure the lending jobs are far and few between these days, however, what about other sales and financial sales related jobs? What industries are in need right now? How tough is it to bring in 50-60k or more these days out there? I'm very aware of the costs associated with living in SoCal and we don't need to make a fortune to live comfortably especially given that we don't want a house in the near future.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 05:04 PM

79 posts, read 467,972 times
On my way in to work this morning I heard a report on KNX1070 am radio that Orange County is likely already in a recession, due to it being "the Hub" of the nation's mortgage industry. My feeling is that commission based jobs especially will be hit hard during the coarse of the next few months. See the stories below:
Group's Economic Forecast Says OC Will Slip Into 'Spot Recession' - KNBC-TV - MSNBC.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23254134/ - broken link)
KNX - SoCal Recession Predictions (http://www.knx1070.com/LA-County-Avoids-Recession/1690163 - broken link)

Old 02-22-2008, 01:07 PM

365 posts, read 1,360,838 times
It is interesting to think that we are in the 'recession' and yet people are still waiting for it to happen. That shows the effects its having on this area right now. I took a class recently and one guy complained about corporate America and how there are no jobs. I told him I went on craigslist out of curiosity and found a ton. There are a lot of jobs here that need to be filled. Spruce up your resume and get it out there. Use a company like Adecco and others that get paid by the employer to fill the position...with you. Its like me filling homes with buyers and getting paid by the seller. Its a win win, and you'll have employers calling you for interviews. Just a thought
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County