Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 03:36 PM

101 posts, read 139,877 times

Advertisements

Greetings!! My love affair with SoCal is going strong for about 7 years and we're finally ready to take the plunge and make plans for making OC our new home. I've got a few questions and appreciate your insight. Many, many thanks in advance for helpful responses!!!!

1. I'm in love with Mission Viejo. Any reason I should avoid the area and focus on other neighboring ones?

2. What is the state of school in terms of the infrastructure? Are kids in trailers or temporary buildings on campus? We've got an elementary school child, but haven't had a chance to actually vist the schools in the area. What are some of schools most buyers are avoiding? (making long term plans for resale value)

3. How is the drought impacting OC and Mission Viejo? Any concern with future prohibitiions on refilling MV lake? Are water prices outrageous now due to supply/demand? What should we consider or be concerned about regarding the ongoing drought? (not talking about water restrictions re washing vehicles, watering lawn, etc. We have those here in Texas, too, even though it seems to rain everyday!)

4. If we're bringing our SUV from Texas, any special taxes or costs we need to be concerned about? I visit SoCal about 3x/year and have been doing so for the past 9 years and notice that, unlike Texas, people don't drive trucks or big SUVs. Other than price of gas, are there any financial disincentives to bringing the SUV with us? (I understrand the environmental arguments; just asking about financial hits)

5. What are some of your favorite neighborhoods in Mission Viejo? We used to live across from White Rock Lake in Dallas and live in a wooded suburb of Houston now, and loved/love the walking/biking trails and the ability to jog around our neighborhood and around the lake or ride our bikes. The move to SoCal is inspired by the beautiful weather and we want to be able to walk in our neighborhood and ride bikes around after work/school. Trying to look for the same up there.

6. MV Lake is only available to MV residents and their guests, right? Or do folks from neighboring cities able to enjoy it? Is there a private gate for those with membership to get in? Can anyone ride bikes/walk around the lake or it's private and it doesn't work that way?

7. Any reason why I should scratch MV and consider Irvine instead? I realize homes are appreciating much faster and are more expenive in Irvine. I'm just not in love with the impossibly tiny backyards and the flat landscape (no trees, etc.; just lots of concrete it seems to me). The outstanding schools isn't compelling me either. We're currently zoned to a very competitive high school and having friends with kids who are depressed and stressed (in an unhealthy way) to graduate on the top is making me pause about subjecting my son to that type of academic pressure (I'm a tiger mom--he doesn't need any more pressure and stress). Any compelling reasons to consider Irvine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 04:14 PM

14,306 posts, read 11,697,976 times
I live in an adjacent town (Rancho Santa Margarita), but I'll answer as many of your questions as I can.

Quote:
1. I'm in love with Mission Viejo. Any reason I should avoid the area and focus on other neighboring ones?
No reason at all! Mission Viejo is a very nice place to live. But I also wouldn't avoid the neighboring areas, either. You might well find something in Rancho Santa Margarita, Lake Forest, etc.

Quote:
3. How is the drought impacting OC and Mission Viejo? Any concern with future prohibitiions on refilling MV lake? Are water prices outrageous now due to supply/demand? What should we consider or be concerned about regarding the ongoing drought? (not talking about water restrictions re washing vehicles, watering lawn, etc. We have those here in Texas, too, even though it seems to rain everyday!)
Yes, the drought is real and it is very dry here. I don't know about MV, but in my town, we are encouraged to water only twice a week. I have never known that to be enforced, though. Water prices have gone up. Our water bill for a family of 5, small single-family house with a tiny front lawn and tinier back lawn, is currently about $70/month (as opposed to $45 this time last year). As for the lake, I read recently that they will start using reclaimed water to fill it, if necessary.

Quote:
4. If we're bringing our SUV from Texas, any special taxes or costs we need to be concerned about? I visit SoCal about 3x/year and have been doing so for the past 9 years and notice that, unlike Texas, people don't drive trucks or big SUVs. Other than price of gas, are there any financial disincentives to bringing the SUV with us? (I understrand the environmental arguments; just asking about financial hits)
I don't think so. You will however have to have the vehicle pass smog testing in CA in order to register it here, and have it smogged every second year thereafter when you renew the registration. Nothing special for SUVs, though.

Quote:
6. MV Lake is only available to MV residents and their guests, right? Or do folks from neighboring cities able to enjoy it? Is there a private gate for those with membership to get in? Can anyone ride bikes/walk around the lake or it's private and it doesn't work that way?
Correct. There is a gate at the parking area. You can't get through unless you are a resident or guest of a resident (and have been placed on a guest list). Once you are in, you can use the beach or rent boats. However, the lake does not have a path around it. People say they walk "around" it, but apart from one stretch on Alicia Parkway which borders the lake (and some fast traffic), the streets which go around do not actually have a lake view.

Rancho Santa Margarita has a smaller lake about 5 miles away, with a walking/biking path completely around it right next to the water. Anyone can go there, park, and walk around the lake.

Quote:
7. Any reason why I should scratch MV and consider Irvine instead?
Nope. I would choose MV over Irvine, myself. Not even close.

Last edited by saibot; 09-08-2016 at 04:48 PM..

Old 09-08-2016, 04:44 PM

23 posts, read 28,636 times
If your heart is set on it then go for it, but like @Saibot said, take a look around the area, Irvine even.

Neither places are my cup of tea but different strokes for different folks.

PS Lots of people drive trucks and SUVs out here

Old 09-08-2016, 05:27 PM

65 posts, read 105,404 times
The only thing to consider if you are looking for a larger property are the astronomical water costs to irrigate your yard. You can't rely on rain to keep things green here, so if you want your yard to look good, you're going to have to pay to water it. I used to think I wanted a big yard, but there's a significant maintenance cost associated with larger yards. Large front lawns are an especial waste in my opinion--you're basically paying to maintain it for the view of others, and can't even enjoy private use of it.

Old 09-08-2016, 05:34 PM

14,306 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glowinthedark View Post
The only thing to consider if you are looking for a larger property are the astronomical water costs to irrigate your yard. You can't rely on rain to keep things green here, so if you want your yard to look good, you're going to have to pay to water it. I used to think I wanted a big yard, but there's a significant maintenance cost associated with larger yards.
In my neighborhood, the reality right now is that everyone's yard looks pretty shabby, with brown spots in the lawn. Drought-resistant landscaping and artificial turf garner approval. I'm pretty sure that if someone on this street had a noticeably lush, green lawn, people would be muttering about the drought and conservation and how some people don't think water restrictions should apply to them.

I have one neighbor who went into another neighbor's yard and turned off her sprinkler because she thought it had been on too long and water was pouring down the street. (To be fair, the sprinkler had been on for several HOURS and the owner had driven off leaving it running). This caused the water-waster to put up a sign in her front yard calling the other one some unprintable names, and threatening anyone who dared touch her spigot again. Fun stuff. People are generally very friendly and easygoing in my neighborhood, but wasting water pushes some people's buttons. Something to keep in mind.

Last edited by saibot; 09-08-2016 at 05:44 PM..

Old 09-08-2016, 05:49 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,687,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farink View Post
Not to worry, the barbarians will not crash the gate. Those of us who live in neighboring towns get our water fix by going to the Pacific Ocean.

All kidding aside, I can't think of any reason not to move to Mission Viejo. You will likely enjoy it, and I would definitely suggest MV over Irvine.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:43 PM

LOL. Been here for 31 years. Every summer, I question my sanity for staying (by summer, I mean 6 months of the year).

Old 09-08-2016, 07:46 PM

I don't how to be fancy like you guys and take the portion of the response I'm replying to; forgive me for being novice at this!
Water bill seems high, which is expected. For a 4,500 sq. foot home with a pool, my water bill was $96 last month (tons of rain this year so our sprinklers are off). How are the electric bills? I assume most homes don't have AC, which is the culprit for our high electricity bills ($346 last month and I kept all 3 AC units at 78). Many thanks for all the very helpful responses!!

Old 09-08-2016, 07:50 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
You've gotten accurate info in this thread OP. MV is a nice place. Check out Pacific Hills when you look at MV.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:16 PM

298 posts, read 628,122 times
Most homes do have air conditioning and will definitely be more than $346 per month for a much smaller house. I barely use mine so I'm not the best example. I've heard people claiming their electric bills are $500-700 during the hot months. Many people seem to be installing solar power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County