Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2021, 06:22 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,702,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico24 View Post
I guess reading all of the comments below about something needing to happen for another big crash...I guess no one considered a pandemic...
The pandemic hasn't caused a big crash. Quite the opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2021, 03:30 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,783,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
The pandemic hasn't caused a big crash. Quite the opposite.
True, the prices are going up at about double the % of what they were prior to the pandemic.

Old 03-04-2021, 06:07 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times
Real estate nationally is in an epic bubble but not interest rate adjusted. What I mean is that the price is correct for current interest rates, but that presents a huge rate risk. If for some reason rates have to rise sharply due to inflation expect Southern California Real estate prices to permanently crash 40-50%. And there is a real risk that rates rise. Not saying it will happen but it's possible and represents a huge risk.

Most recent buyers will be bag holders... many will just do jingle mail like they did in 2008 which will cause a tsunami of foreclosures. With no recourse loans in CA buyers simply do not care... they've learned from 2008, simply squat for 24 months for free and then mail the keys to the bank. Heck with Covid even better, nobody can touch you.

Which is why I wouldn't touch SoCal real estate with a 10 foot pole....too much risk with prices predicated on ridiculously low rates.

Old 03-07-2021, 10:10 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
I didn't say you live with your parents forever. I said when you are starting..so that you could save when you are not earning that much yet.

I also said, its not good to be still living with your oldies or having roommates when your are already in your 30s
I don’t live in California but I do live in the New York City area which is comparably just as expensive. This right here is key! I lived with parents for 4 yrs after college & bought my own house @ 26 on LI. It’s not impossible & in fact for me it was quite easy. (I was making $54,000/ yr at the time). The prob is most millenials want to get out of their parents house ASAP & then get stuck in a perpetual renting Or living paycheck to paycheck situation

Old 04-04-2021, 03:56 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,955,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Real estate nationally is in an epic bubble but not interest rate adjusted. What I mean is that the price is correct for current interest rates, but that presents a huge rate risk. If for some reason rates have to rise sharply due to inflation expect Southern California Real estate prices to permanently crash 40-50%. And there is a real risk that rates rise. Not saying it will happen but it's possible and represents a huge risk.

Most recent buyers will be bag holders... many will just do jingle mail like they did in 2008 which will cause a tsunami of foreclosures. With no recourse loans in CA buyers simply do not care... they've learned from 2008, simply squat for 24 months for free and then mail the keys to the bank. Heck with Covid even better, nobody can touch you.

Which is why I wouldn't touch SoCal real estate with a 10 foot pole....too much risk with prices predicated on ridiculously low rates.
My thoughts match your understanding, however (and with all due respect) we haven't been right thus far, have we? I am in a slightly different situation where I am based on the East coast, however, looking to buy a second home (most likely Condo/Townhome) in Laguna, so I don't have the same time pressure as others.

The last time I was in OC (2019) for an extended period of time, I was outbid every single time, because I was not willing to go as high as others. In 2020, I held off thinking that maybe the pandemic might cool things down, however, it had the opposite effect on real estate.

With Powell/Fed making a commitment to keep the interest rates low through 2023, I am not sure if we're going to see that higher interest rate environment anytime soon. I do agree all this government spending has already increased inflation, whether the official numbers reflect it or not. So we'll have to see how it all plays out.

My assumptions may be incorrect. I really feel bad for those who are looking to purchase right now, it's a super challenging market fraught with risks, as you stated above.

Old 04-05-2021, 05:48 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,301,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
With Powell/Fed making a commitment to keep the interest rates low through 2023, I am not sure if we're going to see that higher interest rate environment anytime soon. I do agree all this government spending has already increased inflation, whether the official numbers reflect it or not. So we'll have to see how it all plays out.

My assumptions may be incorrect. I really feel bad for those who are looking to purchase right now, it's a super challenging market fraught with risks, as you stated above.
And increased energy costs are adding to inflationary pressures along with the minimum wage upticks. The "official numbers" will remove any sector that makes the "official numbers"look bad.

Old 04-05-2021, 10:02 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,955,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
And increased energy costs are adding to inflationary pressures along with the minimum wage upticks. The "official numbers" will remove any sector that makes the "official numbers"look bad.
Spot on. The 'official numbers' are hardly reliable for this very reason.

I may not have an idea of where the economy is headed, however I do know for certain that savers have been decimated by all of this: the continuing, low interest rate disincentivizes savers from keeping funds liquid, while the 'real' inflation rate erodes purchasing power.

This increase in asset pricing is due to investors chasing yields, engaging in riskier, speculative behavior. If the interest rates were to rise 200-300 basis points, this economy will enter significant turbulence, which is why K374 is absolutely correct about the interest rate risk.

Old 04-05-2021, 08:11 PM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
OC is expensive yes

Old 04-05-2021, 09:00 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,858,538 times
Houses that were 800 to 900 in my area 4 years ago are now 1.1 to 1.2. Same in OC?

Old 04-12-2021, 12:48 AM

82 posts, read 127,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I don’t live in California but I do live in the New York City area which is comparably just as expensive. This right here is key! I lived with parents for 4 yrs after college & bought my own house @ 26 on LI. It’s not impossible & in fact for me it was quite easy. (I was making $54,000/ yr at the time). The prob is most millenials want to get out of their parents house ASAP & then get stuck in a perpetual renting Or living paycheck to paycheck situation
I had a similar experience to you. I saved every penny I had and stayed with my parents until I was 25. I made $44,000 the year I bought my first house. It was a piece of junk, but it was all I could afford, and instead of blowing my money every weekend, or taking vacations, I used all of my money to fix the house and made a nice profit 3 years later when I sold it.

I see millenials who I work with. They all have room mates, and they make enough money to pay rent and go out on the weekend. No prospects of buying a home in the San Francisco Bay Area. Do I feel sorry for them? Not one bit. They all have fancy phones, they spend $20 on high end cocktails when they go out and they eat our for every meal. Of course they can't afford anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County