Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2016, 04:21 PM

406 posts, read 348,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I think it's because they are priced out of staying in their own community. Used to be there was housing for everyone. You grow up in your parents nice 4 bedroom single family house, move into a 1-bedroom apartment in the same area when you move out of the parents house and move your way up to a house similar to your parents. I think that's kinda the point, people there have children that can't afford to stay in town. This is also why you see some places like Irvine having 2-3 generations or families staying in the same home commonplace, although maybe that's also just an Asian custom?
Multigenerational housing is definitely more commonplace in Asia and Europe because it's more expensive to live there. The first part of your post about kids living in apartments and then buying a starter home is usually nonexistent in places like London, Paris, Milan, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 04:51 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,984,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrgNative View Post
Why is it just "Millennials" who are getting priced out of the market? Wouldn't it make sense that anyone who makes a certain yearly wage is getting priced out? Not just Millennials?
While true, Millennials are getting hit the hardest, this is simply a fact.

Have you seen the unemployment rate for grads in the past 5 years? Have you seen their average debt? Coupled with their lack of private sector experience, Millennials have low employment prospects coupled with crushing debt. It's not rocket science that they are probably last on the totem pole for being able to come into OC and buy a home.

Many of them also seem to think Bernie Sanders will fix their problems, so a lot of them aren't even living in reality. Hard to create a prospering career based on all of the above.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:35 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
Not even build more freeways or widen them, but to just repair them up to code before they crack already costs tons of money.

I'm not even sure how the transportation problem in LA would be solved. It's too spread out to do a major investment in subways and rail, but it's too dense to make a case for widening freeways and building more roads. Top that off, the car culture especially in SoCal doesn't really give the government much choice since investing in subways and rail to get people out of their cars will only get voted down.

Yup repairs are costly too. That's why LA wants a 12 cent tax raise to pay for pot hole repairs. Either way you cut it road work is expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I think the plan is to tear down SFRs and even townhouses/condos and build rows of high rises. Our QOL would be amazing, just amazing.
Already happening my friend. All these single and two story apartment buildings are getting torn down for multi use building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
I haven't read the report, but according to the article, planners are eyeing empty lots in SF and LA, maybe just for a start.

My hunch is that they will first try to house people as close to job hubs as possible (Hello LA and SF), in order to help reduce, not eliminate, future transportation strain.

Then, my guess is that low-rise apartments will be eyed, and some taken over and razed, to build high rises.

I suspect that the IE will be a target for high rise units once enough large employers commit, through tax incentives, to open shop there.

In the meantime, I can also see them building on parking lots.

There are many large and mostly empty parking lots in South OC, and I believe that developers will seek variances to build high rises on them.

I know it's started in Aliso, but, to date, just to construct another office building and a parking structure. So, AV has given the green light for a developer to build on a parking lot in the sprawling Fluor/Dell campus.

AV is also developing plans to "redo" the city. One proposal is to turn Town Center into a "downtown" destination with entertainment and residential units. That sounds like high rises may be planned, and they will definitely carve up a lot of the existing asphalt.

As far as I know, the only unclaimed large parcel in OC, 25 acres, exists in Aliso at the unused postal service site. The last I heard, it's for sale. It would not surprise me to see the city grant a variance for a high rise.
There are small lots here and there 1-3-20 acres or more. Builders are squeezing in houses anywhere they can.
A few years back a long unused parcel on HAZARD street between Brookhurst and Euclid in Santa Ana sat vacant. Drove by there and it's now a row of houses.

On Brookhurst and Bolsa in Westminster there are two lots that were a farm. One lot is now 80 hose development with 800k+ pricetag and the other lot sits but will be something.

In DTLA on Olive and Grand there are 6 multi use highrise buildings slated for construction. Two are built. There are 4 more being built. That whole row from Olive/Grand to the 110 freeway onramp is basically going to be torn down and multi use construction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona89A View Post
Counties that still have room include Riverside, San Bernardino, Kern, Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, and Monterey. But many areas don't want to look like LA, including the OC.
Sure. I moved to a area where it doesn't look like LA. Eventually ALL of so cal LA and OC area will be overcrowded. Hopefully I'm out of the state by then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrgNative View Post
Why is it just "Millennials" who are getting priced out of the market? Wouldn't it make sense that anyone who makes a certain yearly wage is getting priced out? Not just Millennials?
Sure. It's just millennials are at the stage in life where most would be buying houses, starting families, investing and getting going in their careers. But that's really not happening. At least not in the "Traditional" way.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:38 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
So because OC developed you want to trash the place by making it an unlivable crowded hell hole?

Nothing you say about OC makes any sense probably because you don't live there and haven't spent time there.
OC could have chosen the development model of Marin and San Mateo Counties, or Ventura County. It chose not to and is reaping the consequences. If it had chosen that model rather than the "endless sprawl" model I could understand some of the concerns people have here. However OC chose to pave the entire county in concrete and is paying the price.

I've probably spent more time in OC recently than you have. However you don"t appear to have any familiarity with anywhere in CA except OC. What you say about Norcal and LA county are pretty laughable.

Old 10-27-2016, 02:04 AM

218 posts, read 350,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
OC could have chosen the development model of Marin and San Mateo Counties, or Ventura County. It chose not to and is reaping the consequences. If it had chosen that model rather than the "endless sprawl" model I could understand some of the concerns people have here. However OC chose to pave the entire county in concrete and is paying the price.

I've probably spent more time in OC recently than you have. However you don"t appear to have any familiarity with anywhere in CA except OC. What you say about Norcal and LA county are pretty laughable.
Ventura and Marin counties have lots of open space. So does south oc down through Carlsbad. Newer suburbs like Thousand Oaks, Carlsbad, and in south oc tend to have more open space. Donald Bren plans for huge areas of open space. Usually, Republicans like open space, like in south oc, Carlsbad, and Ventura co. Democrats, like tall buildings, and high density, like west LA and downtown Phoenix.

Last edited by Arizona89A; 10-27-2016 at 02:30 AM..

Old 10-27-2016, 02:18 AM

218 posts, read 350,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Interesting. I moved to the Phoenix area from South OC for college and ended up coming back to AZ after college and staying (with plans to return to OC upon retirement). Just some notes in regards to the uninformed person from AZ

The voters wanted light rail and it is small compared to the system in other similar cities. I personally like spending money on things like this, even though I likely won't use it. It has spurred growth along the corridor. This does not mean companies are not given incentives to come to the state, they are. Light rail and business incentives are not mutually exclusive.

There's about 10 costco's and 5-6 Whole Foods with one under construction. There's 2 Trader Joe's in my area alone as well as probably 20+ Sprout's Farmers Markets in the metro area. Not enough?

There's drugs and alcohol use in most larger universities. I had friends go to UCI, San Diego St, UCSD, CSF, UCLA, USC, UC Riverside, etc. All the same with the possible exception of the international students. You also said that everyone you come in contact with has a drug problem, to my knowledge 0% of the people I come in contact with are addicts (and I know a lot of people), but statistically speaking, sure, one of them is possibly hiding a pill problem or something It is not "overrun with drugs" any more than OC (Have you even been to the Peninsula?).

Moving away certainly isn't for everyone, but my wife and I would have trouble banking more than 50% of our pay like we do in AZ. We found a nice spot that has water and greenery and high rated schools and are happy. But we do plan to return to those 75 degree Summers and ocean breezes
I don't appreciate you stating that I'm spreading false information !

The voters did vote last year for light rail, but the City of Phoenix, which has a cozy relationship with McCarthy building company, they, sponsored the proposition. 33 billion dollars including eminent domain.

Costco, there are 3 in Phoenix and one in Scottsdale. I made no warranties that I would include more distant areas which you did. They got mad at me on the Phoenix forum for pointing out that Phoenix and Scottsdale don't like big box stores. However, the truth, is the truth.

Drugs, everyone uses them here since the schools are so bad that they don't teach enough about drugs and s**-Ed. I was in a park today and the mountain bikers and horse riders were smoking meth! In public!

Drugs in the oc? From what I saw, not so from Irvine and south until you hit Oceanside. That is why I said its worth the premium over there if you're young, gen X, and want some normal, sane, young people to hang out with. And, OC is definitely not anti business Phoenix is strongly anti business. As is Scottsdale. If Bob Littlefield is elected as Scottsdale mayor I would be afraid of a recession. We have 6% unemployment here vs. 2% in Newport Beach, which is even less than Carlsbad, which many compare to Scottsdale.

As for oc rents, on line I see Anaheim and Santa Anna for 1400. I don't think its the end of the world. Commuting into the oc will get easier. RCTC says the 91 is 80% completed. I don't mean to derail the thread with Phoenix and Scottsdale corruption, but there's no question that wages, schools, employment, universities, health care, are vastly superior in the oc, and in many other parts of socal.

Last edited by Arizona89A; 10-27-2016 at 02:27 AM..

Old 10-27-2016, 04:58 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Reread my post. I wrote 12 cent purchase tax raise It's supposed to be 1/2 of a cent tax raise. There are numerous tax raise propositions on this years ballot in California. More than ever before. I think I read somewhere there are 19 props to raise some tax or fee. They are afraid most won't pass. I hope they don't. California doesn't have a revenue problem. It has a spending problem.

I don't know about Arizona. I have a few friends who live(d) there. They all live here now.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:02 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,273,155 times
Quote:

Costco, there are 3 in Phoenix and one in Scottsdale. I made no warranties that I would include more distant areas which you did. They got mad at me on the Phoenix forum for pointing out that Phoenix and Scottsdale don't like big box stores. However, the truth, is the truth.
I have no interest in what you "appreciate", I am just clarifying because your posts are full of false information. Here's what you ACTUALLY said:

"Also Phoenix hates shopping centers and malls with good paying jobs like Costco and better paying ones like In and Out. I think we only have 4 costcos for a metro of 5 million. And only two Whole Foods that I'm aware of and very few Trader Joes"

Do you still beg to differ that you just meant the city of Phoenix? What you actually posted was false information, no?

You're anti light rail, I get it. I like it but it's not a huge issue for me. If you don't like paying taxes for services you don't utilize, buckle up when you get to So Cal , you're in for a wild ride. That's pretty much the #1 complaint of the residents. It's not THAT big of an issue to me that I would list it as a reason for leaving or staying. As for the "everyone is on drugs because the schools suck" comment, again I do not see it. It seems you're just coming up with reasons to justify your move to OC, which is fine, OC is a great place and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:16 PM

406 posts, read 348,169 times
Quote:

The voters did vote last year for light rail, but the City of Phoenix, which has a cozy relationship with McCarthy building company, they, sponsored the proposition. 33 billion dollars including eminent domain.

Drugs, everyone uses them here since the schools are so bad that they don't teach enough about drugs and s**-Ed. I was in a park today and the mountain bikers and horse riders were smoking meth! In public!

Drugs in the oc? From what I saw, not so from Irvine and south until you hit Oceanside. That is why I said its worth the premium over there if you're young, gen X, and want some normal, sane, young people to hang out with. And, OC is definitely not anti business Phoenix is strongly anti business. As is Scottsdale. If Bob Littlefield is elected as Scottsdale mayor I would be afraid of a recession. We have 6% unemployment here vs. 2% in Newport Beach, which is even less than Carlsbad, which many compare to Scottsdale.

As for oc rents, on line I see Anaheim and Santa Anna for 1400. I don't think its the end of the world. Commuting into the oc will get easier. RCTC says the 91 is 80% completed. I don't mean to derail the thread with Phoenix and Scottsdale corruption, but there's no question that wages, schools, employment, universities, health care, are vastly superior in the oc, and in many other parts of socal.
Buddy, this is just factually incorrect. My fiancee is a physician at UCI and the highest amount of drug use in OC is the southern part.

It's all prescription drugs that the kids steal from their bimbo moms or grandparents on antidepressants, benzodiazepines, and oxy.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:30 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippityhop View Post
Buddy, this is just factually incorrect. My fiancee is a physician at UCI and the highest amount of drug use in OC is the southern part.

It's all prescription drugs that the kids steal from their bimbo moms or grandparents on antidepressants, benzodiazepines, and oxy.

Welcome back Hippithop, man, we need you here. Anyway, I believe this to be true due to afluenza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County