Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2016, 10:33 AM

2,940 posts, read 1,813,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
the OP can solved his problem by marrying a similar millennial with the same income
Lol,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Person...e_distribution

Statistics are not on your side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 10:47 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,987,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
You're missed the part saying, yes you can live in the OC on 80K but you'll continue renting (which implies from the beginning of the post) you won't get anywhere.

If you think I'm the type to want it all now, you're mistaken. I'm patient enough to work for what I want, without being unreasonable about it. What's reasonable to you is not reasonable to me. The OC or SoCal in general is just absurd to me. You can keep chugging along saving money like you said, but you won't go anywhere within 10 years as a millennial. You're looking at the micro viewpoint, saving every penny you can, when your single biggest expense is housing. You'd have a much easier time if you reduce it by 50% or more. Add to that home prices and rents are expected to rise faster than incomes over the next few years in SoCal and I don't think have any signs of stopping.
Right, and that's fine. You see your salary as a static $80k, and never ever earning more, and buying in SoCal as insurmountable.

But understand, the people who do pursue to live in SoCal and end up buying a home in expensive areas like Manhattan, SF, LA, or OC are not thinking of remaining static professionally. They don't think like you. They think of how they can eventually afford a home, while you think of how you can escape to a cheaper area. Nothing wrong with either line of thinking, but it is a different mind set. I find people who do end up buying in nice areas of SoCal tend to have the former mindset, not the latter.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:00 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
- Rent a room in townhome or SFH, $700-800
Dude, are you suggesting someone who makes $80k/yr and has a college education should be renting rooms to live in? Ridiculous!

Old 10-19-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Dude, are you suggesting someone who makes $80k/yr and has a college education should be renting rooms to live in? Ridiculous!
Why is it ridiculous?

Old 10-19-2016, 11:08 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post

that's what I thought!! He is a engineer and has a masters for Gods sake.. If he makes 80k and has to rent a room and live like a pauper for 5 years just to buy a house here Ca is in a very sorry state and I don't blame him and all my friends kids for bailing to other states.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:17 AM

2,940 posts, read 1,813,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Why is it ridiculous?
Working harder for less. Is that not such a novel concept?

Old 10-19-2016, 11:31 AM

Quote:
I call it reducing your expenses while you plan for something bigger.

For the first 3 years of my career I made less than $50,000 annually. Even when I started my company, I didn't take a salary over $40,000 until year number 2 or 3 (pretty sure in year 3 I took home less than $75,000). I could have taken a $250,000 salary if I wanted, but I chose to reinvest as much money as possible to grow the company. But by year 5 I owned a home in SoCal, no mortgage, paid in cash (as well as a 911 Porsche Turbo).

I played the long game, but I realize most millennials are only satisfied by the short game. Nothing wrong with that, just different philosophies.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:43 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickz623 View Post
Ha. I received my education and established myself in my career. Affordable housing is something that should be attainable, but that isn't the case in Southern California.
Affordable housing is attainable in the vast majority of the US. In SoCal it isn't, but that is life.

Try buying in Manhattan. There is no requirement that it be affordable in any one place and OC being highly desirable is never going to be affordable again for the average wage worker. It was when I was growing up and now it isn't. That is life. I can still afford to live there now if I wanted to (Not sure now that I do it has changed so much for the worse), but my wife does not want to move back (also a CA native). My tie to the State is 3 businesses and nostalgia. Note; I am not a college graduate but I worked hard and learned and my income is quite nice these days.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Less what?

Old 10-19-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
that's what I thought!! He is a engineer and has a masters for Gods sake.. If he makes 80k and has to rent a room and live like a pauper for 5 years just to buy a house here Ca is in a very sorry state and I don't blame him and all my friends kids for bailing to other states.
That is why the middle class is leaving. Those with far more money or a lot of retirement income are moving in, foreign and citizens. Would you expect $80,000.00 a year to allow you to buy a SFH in London or Paris? Why should anyone expect to be able to do so in SoCal, SF, LA, etc???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County