Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2017, 03:46 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,986,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
Why does it matter? All you're going to say is, oops your combined income is too low. Gotta be a CEO sorry!

Is a college educated, dual income household enough?
Not if your combined income is $82,000 a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calikitkat View Post
Yes, indeed. Whatever we make is not enough. And I agree with the fact that our Bachelor and Master don't mean anything here. You are either an entrepreneur/business man/sales person or you are nobody.
Exactly. All that matters is dollars.

So you know that your combined income is too low. Why not try lower priced alternatives?

Old 12-04-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChroNix View Post
Your Bachelors and Masters don't mean anything anywhere. The only thing that matters is your finances. California is not a special state that gives you a purchase price reduction for every degree you have.
Right?

Is there any market in the world where you say "Damn, I don't have a Ferrari, but I have two degrees and me and my wife work, we should own one!"

But for some reason, OC homes are just expected to be in the price range of someone who has a piece of paper and a job. Very confusing logic.

Quote:
How do you know that investors aren't hard-working people also?
Exactly. People who can put down 100% cash on a home to hopefully get a small margin of profit? Yeah that's not hard work at all, I'm sure making all that cash was so easy.

Old 12-05-2017, 12:42 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,236 times
Most of OC has been a very desirable place to live for many decades and the overall excellence of the schools has always been a magnet for the nonstop influx of newcomers which has certainly contributed to the nonstop escalation of housing prices, and millennials simply have to accept that fact should they wish to reside there.

Simple as that, folks.

Old 12-05-2017, 12:45 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Most of OC has been a very desirable place to live for many decades and the overall excellence of the schools has always been a magnet for the nonstop influx of newcomers which has certainly contributed to the nonstop escalation of housing prices, and millennials simply have to accept that fact should they wish to reside there.

Simple as that, folks.
millennials were the ones that were part of the "influx" of kids to those schools, then they grew up and realize they spent 18 years in school and didn't learn how to work a job

Old 12-05-2017, 05:14 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,286,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChroNix View Post

Clearly millennials did somehow learn to work a job since they make up 53.5 million members of the U.S. Labor Force as of 2015 Q1 (and growing).
most but some didn't learn that you need to learn/earn more if you want to live in OC

Old 12-05-2017, 05:35 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Actually, I was thinking it through. There may be other constitutional challenges to the tax.

Income tax is not possible since they are not even required to file.
Federally it would be very possible. Washington, DC has a tax of that sort.

In California it could not happen because of Prop 13.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:42 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Federally it would be very possible. Washington, DC has a tax of that sort.

In California it could not happen because of Prop 13.
Well, yes, I was thinking the reverse Commerce Clause challenge to such a state law, among others. I don't have any experience in that field and thus it is just speculation.

There is also the Foreign Investment in Real Property Tax Act.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 12-05-2017 at 05:55 PM..

Old 12-06-2017, 08:49 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
It looks like the job market in OC is quite rosy as compared to the State as a whole and not anemic as Federal numbers erroneously show. The fairly hot job market is an explanation as to why homes continue to rise in price (as do rents) and they continue to sell. This no doubt will add extra pressure on millennials and others looking for entry level housing.

Orange County job growth may be double what we think it is – Orange County Register

Old 12-06-2017, 09:37 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,285,399 times
We're getting our keys this weekend. A bit over 2000 sq ft home in Orange. It's an all original home with a lot of space for our hobbies. Being that it's all original it needs a new renovated everything but it's very livable. I know I'm over paying and the market is throwing up red flags but this is our long term home. The future is a bit tumultuous but we have very steady jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County