Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 03:26 PM

9,808 posts, read 11,060,638 times

Advertisements

Now, 40 years after being built, the Laguna Hills Mall is undergoing a massive change into "Five Lagunas," complete with luxury apartments, etc.

Goodbye, Laguna Hills Mall; hello, urban village - Weekend

I wonder what eateries will be coming in and how many more giant apartment buildings will be built nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2016, 03:46 PM

53 posts, read 81,959 times
Although i love buildings and density, South of Irvine is not the place for this kinda massive development. Leave the suburbs alone. This kinda project belongs in Anaheim/Santa Ana. Even Huntington Beach would freak out over this.

Old 10-23-2016, 03:58 PM

9,808 posts, read 11,060,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHate Texas View Post
Although i love buildings and density, South of Irvine is not the place for this kinda massive development. Leave the suburbs alone. This kinda project belongs in Anaheim/Santa Ana. Even Huntington Beach would freak out over this.
Well, many agree with you but we are urbanizing here much more quickly than most realize and I am not sure everyone is ready for it.

Five Lagunas Breaks Ground at Former Mall | Urbanize LA

Old 10-23-2016, 04:41 PM

57 posts, read 66,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Now, 40 years after being built, the Laguna Hills Mall is undergoing a massive change into "Five Lagunas," complete with luxury apartments, etc.

Goodbye, Laguna Hills Mall; hello, urban village - Weekend

I wonder what eateries will be coming in and how many more giant apartment buildings will be built nearby.
Can you blame them? I mean the mall has been a ghost town for several years. No one goes there any more.

What should they do? Leave it runned down turned into a grafitti filled skate park? Or build something that people actually need? Like more places to live.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/laguna-hill...guna+hill+mall

Old 10-23-2016, 05:34 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,237,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHate Texas View Post
Why not? People in South OC don't go to malls? Lol Santa Ana Anaheim and HB are suburbs too. South of Irvine is absolutely the place for this type of development.
LHM is going to become like the old Huntington Beach mall became Terra Bella. It's the same scenario. Old mall with a lot of unused tenant space torn down to become a big outdoor mall. And it infused a crapload of tax money into HB. Yes you have a lot of people living and shopping there. That's a trade off.
What's your idea? Tear it down to make another park that does nothing for tax revenye

Old 10-23-2016, 06:44 PM

23 posts, read 28,467 times
Drove by there yesterday and was surprised that only half of the mall was torn down.

@Electrician4You is 100% correct. This will be Bella Terra South. High density housing will integrate with the mall development. Great for LH tax coffers, but no street traffic upgrade will make this place a traffic nightmare.

Last edited by guitarsarebeautiful; 10-23-2016 at 06:53 PM..

Old 10-24-2016, 05:53 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,237,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarsarebeautiful View Post
Drove by there yesterday and was surprised that only half of the mall was torn down.

@Electrician4You is 100% correct. This will be Bella Terra South. High density housing will integrate with the mall development. Great for LH tax coffers, but no street traffic upgrade will make this place a traffic nightmare.
The one positive is South OC has wide main streets and was planned better tha Central OC

Old 10-24-2016, 07:50 PM

76 posts, read 225,810 times
It's going to be a nice, quaint urban village with a freeway in it's backyard.

Old 10-25-2016, 01:58 AM

3,814 posts, read 3,979,018 times
If you can't build urban places near rail transit, the next best thing is next to a freeway. Commuters won't have far to go and won't clog surface streets.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:58 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,639,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
If you can't build urban places near rail transit, the next best thing is next to a freeway. Commuters won't have far to go and won't clog surface streets.
You make a good point. In a related matter, I'll have to admit that since I see far more cars in my small city, I often process it as traffic being congested here, even though I can make it to any place in the city in 10 minutes or less.

Someone who lives on the outside, however, can bring another perspective. I recall the contrasting view of a reporter who lives elsewhere, but has made 100 visits to this city, and said traffic in this town is usually a breeze:

Whiting: Aliso Viejo, county's newest city, is ready for its facelift - The Orange County Register
"With streets that seem to wind back on themselves, driving may seem confusing. Still, the street layout makes sense and commuting is usually a breeze.

Aliso Viejo is only a few miles from the ocean and enjoys cool breezes in summer.

It is built on an east-facing slope and offers terrific views of the Saddleback Valley. It is adjacent to Aliso and Wood Canyons Wilderness Park, one of the largest and most topographically diverse parks in the county with almost 4,000 acres.

With streets that seem to wind back on themselves, driving may seem confusing. Still, the street layout makes sense and commuting is usually a breeze.

I’ve made well over 100 visits, and six-lane thoroughfares move traffic quickly even during rush hours.

As we stop for a traffic light, Doyle reports that the city has among the highest rated intersections in the county. "

Last edited by pacific2; 10-25-2016 at 07:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County