Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 10:18 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times

Advertisements

OP,

Trying to find something between UC Riverside and Long Beach will just end up both of you will have no life other than being trapped in the traffic several hours a day. You may think driving toward East in the morning and West in the afternoon is "reversed commute" but it is not. To give you an example, I used to drive from Huntington each to Placentia. It was 28 miles one way but it takes me no shorter than50 minutes in the morning and no less than 1.5 hour for the afternoon commute. On Friday afternoons it takes no less than 3 hours to get home. The 91 freeway traffic jams can choke the life out of you even at 3:00 am. It's congested all the time.

I'd like to suggest something different since your employment is firmed while your spouse is still looking for work, why not get both of you settle in a neighborhood both of you will enjoy and suitable for your commute, while he can adjust his job search game plan accordingly?

I'd like to suggest that you look for single family residence (SFR) in the city of Chino Hills instead. First, it is a convenient commute to UC Riverside, Second; Chino Hills has become an upscale city with malls and shops but also very well planned communities but still affordable more so than most of the Orange County. Third; as Chinese you will be very pleased with it's close proximity to one of biggest Chinese community in SoCal, Rowland Heights, with best restaurants that put Chinatowns in both SF and NYC to shame. It's a 15 minute drive away on the 60 fwy. Generally look for homes stay west of 71. You can get to the nearby Diamond Bar on local route without battling traffic on the freeway, just take Grand Avenue west and you will reach nice Korean/ Chinese shops such as the Super H-mart supermarket and many fine restaurants.

As to your spouse'a commute, I had coworkers who car-pooled from the nearby Diamond ar to Huntington Beach for over 20 years. It can be done by coming early in the morning and leaves early in the afternoon. Besides, IT jobs are all over LA/OC areas. He maybe able find something closer to home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 10:28 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
OP,

Trying to find something between UC Riverside and Long Beach will just end up both of you will have no life other than being trapped in the traffic several hours a day. You may think driving toward East in the morning and West in the afternoon is "reversed commute" but it is not. To give you an example, I used to drive from Huntington each to Placentia. It was 28 miles one way but it takes me no shorter than50 minutes in the morning and no less than 1.5 hour for the afternoon commute. On Friday afternoons it takes no less than 3 hours to get home. The 91 freeway traffic jams can choke the life out of you even at 3:00 am. It's congested all the time.

I'd like to suggest something different since your employment is firmed while your spouse is still looking for work, why not get both of you settle in a neighborhood both of you will enjoy and suitable for your commute, while he can adjust his job search game plan accordingly?

I'd like to suggest that you look for single family residence (SFR) in the city of Chino Hills instead. First, it is a convenient commute to UC Riverside, Second; Chino Hills has become an upscale city with malls and shops but also very well planned communities but still affordable more so than most of the Orange County. Third; as Chinese you will be very pleased with it's close proximity to one of biggest Chinese community in SoCal, Rowland Heights, with best restaurants that put Chinatowns in both SF and NYC to shame. It's a 15 minute drive away on the 60 fwy. Generally look for homes stay west of 71. You can get to the nearby Diamond Bar on local route without battling traffic on the freeway, just take Grand Avenue west and you will reach nice Korean/ Chinese shops such as the Super H-mart supermarket and many fine restaurants.

As to your spouse'a commute, I had coworkers who car-pooled from the nearby Diamond ar to Huntington Beach for over 20 years. It can be done by coming early in the morning and leaves early in the afternoon. Besides, IT jobs are all over LA/OC areas. He maybe able find something closer to home.

Actually I did a job at 215/60 and from HB it used to take me about 40 minute get there. The way back was about 60/80 minutes.

Chino Hills is a good area but to LB it's going to be a killer either way. Especially if they work typical 9-5 jobs. I'm lucky that I'm usually on the road by 2 pm. If thrive IT types they can work long hours start early leave late. Either way Chino Hills is a good middle of the road

Old 11-01-2016, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Actually I did a job at 215/60 and from HB it used to take me about 40 minute get there. The way back was about 60/80 minutes.
You could do it, if there is no traffic. What hours in the day was your drive?

Edit to add: just reread that you are on the road by 2pm, assuming driving back, this means you are on the job by 6/7 am. That would make sense as traffic in those hours are much less.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:40 AM

94 posts, read 164,236 times
Quote:
OP,

Thank you, we do like the Chino Hills area; if he could find jobs near there, it will be idea. But if he works at Long Beach, indeed it will be difficult for him. We get headaches whenever you think about the traffic in LA, but that's a price we need to pay for living in a big city with good jobs and good quality of life.

Old 11-01-2016, 10:22 AM

936 posts, read 2,079,945 times
Cypress is nice and affordable.

Old 11-01-2016, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybirdie View Post
Cypress is nice and affordable.
Cypress, Los Alamitos, Cerritos are all good with good school districts (higher resale values). In general, I'd recommend stay west of 605 and south of 91 in those areas. Otherwise Fullerton, La Habra and Yor a Linda are all good neighborhoods.

OP did not state what is affordable. For some $1M is affordable. For others, $300K is unaffordable.

Old 11-01-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
You could do it, if there is no traffic. What hours in the day was your drive?

Edit to add: just reread that you are on the road by 2pm, assuming driving back, this means you are on the job by 6/7 am. That would make sense as traffic in those hours are much less.

Yeah driving back. My work time varied. Sometimes 6 sometimes 8 am start time. It was different depending on inspections. I tend to work 6-2:30.

IMO it's best to have one person closer. They can do the honey do list shopping etc.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Cypress, Los Alamitos, Cerritos are all good with good school districts (higher resale values). In general, I'd recommend stay west of 605 and south of 91 in those areas. Otherwise Fullerton, La Habra and Yor a Linda are all good neighborhoods.

OP did not state what is affordable. For some $1M is affordable. For others, $300K is unaffordable.
For us, I think 700-730k is the ceiling. ideally it will be 600-650k. It's already extremely expensive for us, but what else can we do since we plan to add more members to the family.

Old 11-01-2016, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhcstl View Post
For us, I think 700-730k is the ceiling. ideally it will be 600-650k. It's already extremely expensive for us, but what else can we do since we plan to add more members to the family.
You'll find something in that range in CH for sure.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
You'll find something in that range in CH for sure.
Thank you!

Now, do you guys have any names/company I can contact about a mortgage? The rates have gone up a bit, and I am hoping to talk to several lenders to find out the best deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County