Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 06:45 PM

406 posts, read 348,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
They like "like minded" people.
Most people in general do like "like minded" people and people that are similar than them. However, on the broad spectrum of things I really fail to see why a persons political leanings are that important.

For me I want my neighbors to be:

Not criminals
Clean
Quiet after a reasonable hour
Wealthy enough to properly care for their property
Respectful
etc.

Where their political leanings lie is about as important as the color of their skin or their sexual orientation. I really don't care so long as they are good people.

Unlike many posters on this forum who think that anyone who is a Democrat = Satan Incarnate, Republican = Second coming of Jesus (or vice versa) this is really not true. I mean seriously, I don't even KNOW the political leanings of hardly any of my neighbors. What kind of weirdo asks that type of question when you first move somewhere?

It's just as obnoxious as some of my "friends" on Facebook that were screaming bloody murder after Trump was elected that they wanted ANYONE that voted for Trump or any third party to unfriend them. What a bunch of whiny pains in the ass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2016, 06:54 PM

115 posts, read 191,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I'm a conservative in OC, and I could not in good conscience vote for Trump, but I certainly could not vote for Clinton either. I chose a third-party candidate. I'm sure there are more people who did the same, or who just abstained because they knew Clinton would take the state anyway.
Same here. I choose to write in a candidate name.

As of when that article was published, there were 410,000 mail in ballots that were delivered at polling places the day of the election and still need to be counted. So the overall tally might flip.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:51 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippityhop View Post
Most people in general do like "like minded" people and people that are similar than them. However, on the broad spectrum of things I really fail to see why a persons political leanings are that important.

Not criminals
Clean
Respectful
etc.

Where their political leanings lie is about as important as the color of their skin or their sexual orientation. I really don't care so long as they are good people.

Unlike many posters on this forum who think that anyone who is a Democrat = Satan Incarnate, Republican = Second coming of Jesus (or vice versa) this is really not true. I mean seriously, I don't even KNOW the political leanings of hardly any of my neighbors. What kind of weirdo asks that type of question when you first move somewhere?

It's just as obnoxious as some of my "friends" on Facebook that were screaming bloody murder after Trump was elected that they wanted ANYONE that voted for Trump or any third party to unfriend them. What a bunch of whiny pains in the ass.
By "like minded" I was referring to your statement of a "closed mind". They are. It is our way or the highway, as it were. They want to live where people are as closed minded as they are, so they can claim they are right and everyone agrees. They hate a challenge to what they want to be true/right, etc. That would require thinking about it and actually admitting they were wrong on occasion.

Realistically most people are middle of the road on politics and only the fringe at each end makes all the noise.

Old 11-12-2016, 07:06 AM

9,855 posts, read 7,724,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippityhop View Post

Not criminals
Clean
Respectful
etc.

Sorry if my earlier post was confusing, but rest assured, I did mean policies, not individual people. Being fiscally conservative, we did want to move to a place that was more conservative, less government, lower taxes, etc. Also hope to never live in a state with legal marijuana for all because we have some family members that struggle with addiction problems.

I have no idea how any of my neighbors vote now or in the past and I don't care. I have never heard anyone ask that, but, there is plenty of statistical information online that is available when you are looking at all the different factors when moving, maybe even on C-D.

I take that back, one time I passed out GOP primary flyers for my neighborhood in Mission Viejo and about 80% of the neighbors were registered Republicans. My best friend wasn't and I still like her.

And where we live now is much more diverse than any of the places we lived in OC, racially, financially and age-wise. And we like that.

Old 11-12-2016, 10:03 AM

444 posts, read 321,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Sorry if my earlier post was confusing, but rest assured, I did mean policies, not individual people. Being fiscally conservative, we did want to move to a place that was more conservative, less government, lower taxes, etc. Also hope to never live in a state with legal marijuana for all because we have some family members that struggle with addiction problems.

I have no idea how any of my neighbors vote now or in the past and I don't care. I have never heard anyone ask that, but, there is plenty of statistical information online that is available when you are looking at all the different factors when moving, maybe even on C-D.
Not sure why the original reply mentioned you were moving solely based on political beliefs, as you didn't imply or mention that in the post. I currently live in Orange County and am using other values in addition to political environment for relocation as you did. Crime, traffic, taxes, healthcare and weather in addition to politics are what I have used to select a different state for retirement. Even within another state, it is advised to look at local county election results if the political environment is important. Don't care how people in a new neighborhood would vote, but care about how the county in aggregate votes.

California has basically turned into another NY state in terms of political environment, where labor unions have way too much influence on elections. Better weather obviously, but not enough positives to overcome significant negatives for remaining here in retirement.

Old 11-12-2016, 11:37 AM

92 posts, read 134,257 times
I think at one time people of different political stripes found it easier to get along. Now we're more and more polarized. I too never considered politics in choosing a neighborhood.

FWIW this election is the first time in my life (64 years) I've felt such dismay at the outcome of a presidential election. I think the country made a terrible choice in Trump.

Old 11-12-2016, 01:29 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times
The coastal band in OC is still red, except for Laguna Beach. Note that coastal OC now really sticks out as compared to LA (except a pocket in RPV), and even coastal SD (except portions of Carlsbad and all of Rancho Santa Fe).

California neighborhood election results: Did your neighborhood vote to elect Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump? - Los Angeles Times

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 11-12-2016 at 01:37 PM..

Old 11-12-2016, 02:47 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,686,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
The coastal band in OC is still red, except for Laguna Beach. Note that coastal OC now really sticks out as compared to LA (except a pocket in RPV), and even coastal SD (except portions of Carlsbad and all of Rancho Santa Fe).

California neighborhood election results: Did your neighborhood vote to elect Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump? - Los Angeles Times
That area is mostly red and pink with some fewer patches of blue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County