Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2016, 04:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,087 times

Advertisements

Hello, and thank you in advance. I am currently working on a bachelors degree and have one more year and a half to go. I am currently in northeast Ohio and it just isn't right for me. I am a photographer, equestrian, and skydiver. I want to live in an area fairly close to the mountains (I grew up by Kentucky, in Virginia by the Appalachian mountains and miss the landscape, but want to move somewhere else). I need a place with good land for horse pasture but that isn't too expensive (preferably not more than $3500 an acre). I intend on living 30-40 minutes outside of a city, and would like to be in an area with fairly active filmmaking as I have started to get more involved in it and would like more possibilities (I am primarily a photographer and video editor). My significant other would prefer not to live in California, and I am not interested in the New England states due to their cold winters. My current considerations are near boulder, CO and the Carolinas but I'm open to suggestions. Any input is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 05:33 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean2016 View Post
Hello, and thank you in advance. I am currently working on a bachelors degree and have one more year and a half to go. I am currently in northeast Ohio and it just isn't right for me. I am a photographer, equestrian, and skydiver. I want to live in an area fairly close to the mountains (I grew up by Kentucky, in Virginia by the Appalachian mountains and miss the landscape, but want to move somewhere else). I need a place with good land for horse pasture but that isn't too expensive (preferably not more than $3500 an acre). I intend on living 30-40 minutes outside of a city, and would like to be in an area with fairly active filmmaking as I have started to get more involved in it and would like more possibilities (I am primarily a photographer and video editor). My significant other would prefer not to live in California, and I am not interested in the New England states due to their cold winters. My current considerations are near boulder, CO and the Carolinas but I'm open to suggestions. Any input is appreciated.
Unless you have a source of money and do not need a job in the area to survive, OC does not sound like a fit for you.

Old 12-18-2016, 09:34 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,651,114 times
$3500 an acre? I didn't know flyover territory in the Bible Belt was so cheap.

Old 01-17-2017, 02:38 PM

125 posts, read 291,786 times
If you want to be close to an area with active film-making, I think you'd want to be closer to LA than to OC.

But the one thing I would say is that if you're looking to have your horses on pasture to graze, I dont think there's going to be a lot of grazing going on here. It's generally pretty dry and brown around here. From what I've seen, you're not going to find a nice green grassy pasture for them to graze on. If you just want a pasture for them to live on, then you may be able to find something for that.

Norco, CA might be of interest to you (it's called Horsetown USA), but it's a long commute. Burbank has a lot of film studios, so let's say you were to work there... I think the commute to Norco would be probably 2 hours with traffic.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:50 AM

768 posts, read 718,180 times
Palos Verdes if you have millions to spend. But you'll have to make sure of the zoning. Only certain areas are zoned for horses. And there is high competition for those properties. It's probably the closest property to Los Angeles. It has outstanding scenery. A photographer's dream. Good luck to you.

Old 01-23-2017, 05:55 PM

20 posts, read 26,668 times
Hi Jean

Have you considered boarding the horses in say Santiago Canyon or somewhere similar? This is common with horse owners out here due to the high cost of equestrian land. You would also be able to lease out the horse for lessons to a local trainer if that would help with income.

As for the filming part, Chapman University is a great Film School if you are just starting out. Orange County is not that far from LA either. All the best in your search

Old 01-23-2017, 11:15 PM

6 posts, read 8,622 times
Echoing with others, but going to expand it a bit further - nowhere in socal will you get that kind of land for those prices within "30-40 minutes" of a city. Don't feel dissapointed from people's advice, that is literally just the reality.
You could probably live maybe 2-3 hours away from LA (somewhere up in the high desert - like apple valley area?)...but I don't know if you'll get 3500 an acre.

CO or UTAH might be better for that, and you likely could be within 40 minutes of the city if you wanted.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:16 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,177,342 times
You could check out Palmdale Lancaster area on the other side of LA. Lots of horse property there but it's the high desert and that's not Kentucky grassland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County