Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2018, 10:30 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Lmao, now that really would be hilarious, and probably very effective.
Save money, send them to Sacramento.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 10:33 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,986,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Yet diamonds still have a lot of customers and the multiple companies involved manage to keep tight wraps on the commodity .....

I suspect this is done with LOTS of other stuff we are simply unaware of. How many iphones do you think are stacked up in a ware house somewhere, yet they are $900 a piece .....
NEW iPhones are $900 a piece.

1 year old iPhone 7's are around $450 now on the secondary markets (original MSRP of $800).

That's how a real market driven economy works. Initial MSRP prices are high and decrease over time like most consumable goods.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:35 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,986,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Not to mention that most goods are cheap as hell in the United States largely because China keeps its currency artificially low.
Also, everything in China is built second rate without much quality control and is basically a poor knock off of a much better product.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:52 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,284,929 times
Besides the fact that you and I have no right to other peoples or companys property. We can't just take it.

Old 04-18-2018, 01:15 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Besides the fact that you and I have no right to other peoples or companys property. We can't just take it.
You are going to frustrate those who as children were given everything they wanted and now think they should still get everything they want. It is called being spoiled.

Old 04-18-2018, 05:45 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,113,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
NEW iPhones are $900 a piece.

1 year old iPhone 7's are around $450 now on the secondary markets (original MSRP of $800).

That's how a real market driven economy works. Initial MSRP prices are high and decrease over time like most consumable goods.
What is your point? They still price inflate something that is not scarce. There are warehouses full of NEW iphones ... yet they are still $900.

Also look at real estate there is tons of land but yet only certian land is allowed to be built on, etc. The supply is purposely constricted to keep priced inflated.

There are tons of commodities like this.

Old 04-18-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
No but govt can use taxes to discourage certain behavior and I think that is proper. Business owners are given a VERY cushy market to operate in where they dont have to worry about war lords shooting them or other violent activities that would make running their business impossible and thus their families would suffer.

This comes at a cost, a VERY high cost that the rich are trying to defray. Once the middle class completely falls apart they better make sure their walled communities are secure because when the entire USA looks like detroit it wont be fun.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:28 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,284,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
No but govt can use taxes to discourage certain behavior and I think that is proper. Business owners are given a VERY cushy market to operate in where they dont have to worry about war lords shooting them or other violent activities that would make running their business impossible and thus their families would suffer.

This comes at a cost, a VERY high cost that the rich are trying to defray. Once the middle class completely falls apart they better make sure their walled communities are secure because when the entire USA looks like detroit it wont be fun.
Its not yours, you didn't make it, you don't deserve it. If you don't want to support a certain company making certain widgets, then don't buy from them. The market nowadays is flooded with choices. Debeers wouldn't even exist in the US due to their monopoly racket.

In regards to food, buying food at the grocery store or at a restaurant isn't the only way to feed yourself, especially if you're starving and don't have money. A smart bum (lol) will take those couple of dollars in change and buy a big box pack of cupanoodles.

I feel I deserve to drive an M3 or Porsche 911, those companies have warehouses full of them, they should give me one right?I choose to drive a Honda Civic because then I can spend money on the other thing I love, traveling. Those air plane seats don't get filled right? They should give that seat away! (Lol)

How lucky we are to live in this free market society.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Its not yours, you didn't make it, you don't deserve it. If you don't want to support a certain company making certain widgets, then don't buy from them. The market nowadays is flooded with choices. Debeers wouldn't even exist in the US due to their monopoly racket.

In regards to food, buying food at the grocery store or at a restaurant isn't the only way to feed yourself, especially if you're starving and don't have money. A smart bum (lol) will take those couple of dollars in change and buy a big box pack of cupanoodles.

I feel I deserve to drive an M3 or Porsche 911, those companies have warehouses full of them, they should give me one right?I choose to drive a Honda Civic because then I can spend money on the other thing I love, traveling. Those air plane seats don't get filled right? They should give that seat away! (Lol)

I didnt say give away, but how secure would those things be if we did not have any military to protect it or police force?

Those things are not cheap (military and police) and those with more to loose should be paying more for said protection. I am not worried about an invasion, I am sufficiently poor enough that who ever is in charge would be largely inconsequential. People who own said warehouses and other vast estates .... thats another issue.

And no I dont think that we live in a free market. A free market is indicated by alot of competitors and alot of choice for ones labor which drives labor rates up. We dont have that, so no I dont think we are lucky.

Read what I actually write.

So you think debeers is a racket but iphone pricing is legitimate? .... interesting

Last edited by pittsflyer; 04-18-2018 at 07:58 PM..

Old 04-18-2018, 08:22 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times
Quote:

^This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County