Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2017, 06:04 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,128,267 times

Advertisements

A Orange councilman said that all the people that wanted help have been helped and have left the river trail. What's left is the scitzos, the thieves and the addicts. It's really no mans land there now and no one should ride that trail on their bike alone. I live about 10 miles from there and the homeless I see are your group 4 they mind there one business and just want to be left alone and drink. I have one living in our complex bushes right now. They have no interest in going anywhere near the river trail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 08:47 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,238,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
I'll add group 4 (from my experience doing charity on Skid row), run aways or people who choose to be homeless. These people chose to leave, sometimes very comfortable living situations, because they do not want to follow rules or be under anyone's authority. You'll see a lot of these homeless in places like Seattle. People who are perfectly healthy, come from upper middle class backgrounds but don't want to live under an authority figure anymore.
True, such exist and want the life they now "live".

Old 07-26-2017, 07:58 AM

26,580 posts, read 26,445,339 times
Quote:
I'll add group 4 (from my experience doing charity on Skid row), run aways or people who choose to be homeless. These people chose to leave, sometimes very comfortable living situations, because they do not want to follow rules or be under anyone's authority. You'll see a lot of these homeless in places like Seattle. People who are perfectly healthy, come from upper middle class backgrounds but don't want to live under an authority figure anymore.
I'd question the assumption that they're perfectly healthy. The only people I know who fall into this category have a mental illness. Schizophrenia and Bipolar I do not discriminate in regard to socioeconomic background. Not wanting to live under an authority figure has little to do with their decision to remain homeless. I know a couple of people who have gone through their trust funds and are living on the streets.....one in Oakland and one in L.A., and their families, while discouraged, have tried everything.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:44 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,938,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I'd question the assumption that they're perfectly healthy.
You don't need to question anything. Part of our work included free mobile clinics and many of the young "homeless" were in picture perfect health with no follow ups scheduled or needed. In fact, a large portion of them were actually overweight and needed to consume less calories.

Quote:
Not wanting to live under an authority figure has little to do with their decision to remain homeless.
How do you know? Have you served on Skid Row? Because the actual homeless "teens" there say otherwise.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:50 PM

26,580 posts, read 26,445,339 times
Quote:
You don't need to question anything. Part of our work included free mobile clinics and many of the young "homeless" were in picture perfect health with no follow ups scheduled or needed. In fact, a large portion of them were actually overweight and needed to consume less calories.
So that's where you get your obsession with people's weight.

Quote:
How do you know? Have you served on Skid Row? Because the actual homeless "teens" there say otherwise.
I do volunteer work with students who have been homeless. And I was referring to adults, anyway.

Old 07-27-2017, 06:34 PM

9,810 posts, read 11,051,276 times
Quote:

I do volunteer work with students who have been homeless. And I was referring to adults, anyway.
Virtue, oh virtue, where are you...

Old 07-31-2017, 11:00 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,938,309 times
Quote:
This isn't a discussion about your misplaced perceptions, we're talking about facts about the homeless in California. If you actually volunteered to help homeless on Skid Row or Santa Ana City Hall, like I have (and have donated thousands of dollars), you would know that the caloric needs of the majority of these homeless people are met. They are even offered job training, and free clinics twice a month. This is again, a fact.

Being homeless in America isn't the same as being homeless say in Peru (where I've also donated money and time). The homeless in America, especially in California, get enormous opportunities to leave the streets if they choose to pursue those opportunities.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:55 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,238,914 times
Quote:
This isn't a discussion about your misplaced perceptions, we're talking about facts about the homeless in California. If you actually volunteered to help homeless on Skid Row or Santa Ana City Hall, like I have (and have donated thousands of dollars), you would know that the caloric needs of the majority of these homeless people are met. They are even offered job training, and free clinics twice a month. This is again, a fact.

Being homeless in America isn't the same as being homeless say in Peru (where I've also donated money and time). The homeless in America, especially in California, get enormous opportunities to leave the streets if they choose to pursue those opportunities.
And so many don't.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:46 PM

1,441 posts, read 1,115,629 times
Quote:
The homeless in America, especially in California, get enormous opportunities to leave the streets if they choose to pursue those opportunities.
So, if the opportunities are there, yet they choose not to take them, it seems to me there should be some way to force them out.

How is it that the rights of the homeless (or any other group -- or individual -- violating local laws or municipal codes), especially when they have other choices available to them, carry heavier weight than my rights as a home- or business owner...or just an ordinary law-abiding citizen (even if I don't "own" squat)? Aren't our laws/codes on the books mainly so that, as a civilized society, people are able to live, work, and move about in a reasonably safe, clean/unpolluted area?

Old 08-05-2017, 11:17 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,750,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
So, if the opportunities are there, yet they choose not to take them, it seems to me there should be some way to force them out.

How is it that the rights of the homeless (or any other group -- or individual -- violating local laws or municipal codes), especially when they have other choices available to them, carry heavier weight than my rights as a home- or business owner...or just an ordinary law-abiding citizen (even if I don't "own" squat)? Aren't our laws/codes on the books mainly so that, as a civilized society, people are able to live, work, and move about in a reasonably safe, clean/unpolluted area?
+1

Agree 100%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County