Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 04:57 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,104,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Mission Viejo and Aliso Viejo are both burbs with crap public transit systems and daily life requires a car. There's no way Aliso Viejo has a walk score of 80. I don't think it even has a walk score of 40. It's pretty car dependent.
Actually, parts of Aliso Viejo are 100% walkable, believe it or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 12:23 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,663,749 times
Quote:
Mission Viejo and Aliso Viejo are both burbs with crap public transit systems and daily life requires a car. There's no way Aliso Viejo has a walk score of 80. I don't think it even has a walk score of 40. It's pretty car dependent.
Public transportation is almost nonexistent in Aliso Viejo and I doubt that will change anytime soon. The city is tiny (7.47 sq miles) and densely populated (approx. 6,400 people/sq mi).

I'm certainly no transportation expert, but it boggles the mind to think about the logistics involved in moving about 50K people around in this tiny space via mass transit.. The city is almost fully developed. Also, think about the expense. Besides, unless someone proposes an extremely unusual and convenient system, I doubt that there would be public support for the undertaking. People are not going to give up their cars to hop onto huge clunky buses. Nobody wants that.

As it stands, everyone lives within a half mile of AV's business core and within two miles of Town Center. That's not bad; and although major streets look like a sea of cars, traffic flows smoothly, and it's extremely easy to get around the city. Parks, sports clubs, the library, and everything else are all within an extremely brief drive.

Some parts of Aliso are not "walkable" in the sense of having stores, etc. within walking distance. The Soka University area is a good example of this, but I doubt that anyone who lives in that picturesque spot is too concerned.

Other places, like City Lights Apartments, St. Moritz, Vantis Apartments and City Walk Townhouses and Condos, are vey walkable since they are either up the hill, or across the street from Town Center (Movies, Trader Joes, Barnes & Noble, Stadium Brewery, a dance studio, an acting studio, yoga classes, Hoag Health Care, Ralph's, Restaurants, etc., etc.).

City Walk and Vantis Apartments also clustered near a new hotel; across the street from a major sports hotel; and very close to major tech and biomed companies; all within easy walking distance. What's more, City Walk itself consists of a number of small businesses (live/work).

City Perks coffee shop at City Walk. City Walk

Old 02-28-2017, 09:04 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,966,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Public transportation is almost nonexistent in Aliso Viejo and I doubt that will change anytime soon. The city is tiny (7.47 sq miles) and densely populated (approx. 6,400 people/sq mi).

I'm certainly no transportation expert, but it boggles the mind to think about the logistics involved in moving about 50K people around in this tiny space via mass transit.. The city is almost fully developed. Also, think about the expense. Besides, unless someone proposes an extremely unusual and convenient system, I doubt that there would be public support for the undertaking. People are not going to give up their cars to hop onto huge clunky buses. Nobody wants that.

As it stands, everyone lives within a half mile of AV's business core and within two miles of Town Center. That's not bad; and although major streets look like a sea of cars, traffic flows smoothly, and it's extremely easy to get around the city. Parks, sports clubs, the library, and everything else are all within an extremely brief drive.

Some parts of Aliso are not "walkable" in the sense of having stores, etc. within walking distance. The Soka University area is a good example of this, but I doubt that anyone who lives in that picturesque spot is too concerned.

Other places, like City Lights Apartments, St. Moritz, Vantis Apartments and City Walk Townhouses and Condos, are vey walkable since they are either up the hill, or across the street from Town Center (Movies, Trader Joes, Barnes & Noble, Stadium Brewery, a dance studio, an acting studio, yoga classes, Hoag Health Care, Ralph's, Restaurants, etc., etc.).

City Walk and Vantis Apartments also clustered near a new hotel; across the street from a major sports hotel; and very close to major tech and biomed companies; all within easy walking distance. What's more, City Walk itself consists of a number of small businesses (live/work).

City Perks coffee shop at City Walk. City Walk

Totally serious question, do you work for Aliso Viejo Chamber of Commerce or work for the city?

If you are, I'm pretty impressed with the pre-packaged spiel.

I don't go into Aliso Viejo much, but I kind of agree that people who live there probably don't care much for public transit. Just doesn't seem like that kind of city which is why I think the OP should look at West LA for what she wants.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:07 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,966,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Actually, parts of Aliso Viejo are 100% walkable, believe it or not.
There are parts of any city in South OC that are 100% walkable. If you're talking about that Town Center area with the Lowe's and movie theatre. That's basically a strip mall surrounded by apartments and some neighborhoods.

If you consider living next to a strip mall "walkable", I guess you're probably right.

Old 02-28-2017, 01:19 PM

17 posts, read 20,245 times
You could probably find a place in Long Beach not too far from the water that is very walk-able in your budget. Long Beach is cheaper than OC.

Old 02-28-2017, 03:51 PM

359 posts, read 318,921 times
Quote:

Which is exactly why I wrote, "You may have to compromise on walking score, etc.."

Old 02-28-2017, 06:47 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,663,749 times
Quote:
Totally serious question, do you work for Aliso Viejo Chamber of Commerce or work for the city?

I don't go into Aliso Viejo much, but I kind of agree that people who live there probably don't care much for public transit. Just doesn't seem like that kind of city which is why I think the OP should look at West LA for what she wants.
No, I don't work for AV. I'm just a long-term resident.

Last edited by pacific2; 02-28-2017 at 06:56 PM..

Old 03-05-2017, 02:25 AM

111 posts, read 158,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoaster99 View Post
We are planning to move to OC with two children 4 and 6.

We have a budget of 5K per month in rent and require:

1. Three bedrooms.
2. Kids friendly place.
3. Walking distance to the ocean.
4. Walk score of 80 plus.

We are looking at Newport Beach, Corona Del Mar, Laguna Beach etc.

Any suggestions?

Should we pass on OC and look to La Jolla?

We work from home so traffic is not an issue.

Thanks.
Walking distance from the ocean, and walkable downtown, would be Laguna Beach and Carlsbad, which is in north San Diego county.

Among many other locations.

West LA isn't walking distance to ocean unless you want to deal with heavy traffic, and areas of higher crime. And not necessarily kid friendly.

Old 03-05-2017, 02:29 AM

111 posts, read 158,389 times
Quote:

Pacific2 is correct about the town center. City overall is very bikable with lots of parks and trails. However, OP said walking distance to ocean, it is about 8 miles drive to Laguna Beach. Definitely very safe for kids.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:39 AM

3,211 posts, read 3,886,602 times
What's a walk score?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County