U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 11:29 AM

10 posts, read 27,850 times

Advertisements

My friend is going to be here for 3 days mid april from friday - sunday night.. he wants me to drive up from South OrangeCounty (dana pt.) to LAX at 6 AM to get him and then he wants to drive out to Joshua tree and camp there for 2 nights.. we do not have camping spots reserved since they are all taken also there are a few that say they are first come first serve and it is on a spring break weekend + free entry weekend.. I don't see the point in doing this and have suggested we simply camp on the coast in the city I live in and chill out for a couple days he insists on doing this and I just don't think its a good idea considering there is a 50% chance we will not get a camping spot and will be stuck sleeping in a hotel.. any advice?
I figured it'll take around 2 hours to get to LAX and another half an hour or so to find him.. and then 1 hour to get out of LAX due to traffic since its gonna be 8 am on a friday and then another 3-4-5 hours to joshua tree.. thats 7 hours of driving! I think it's ridiculous, correct me if I am wrong. This person has never been to California and doesn't believe me when I say it'll take in total from me driving to pick him up and us driving into the desert it'll take more than 6-7 hours.. this persons response is "Well google maps says...."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 11:43 AM

18,176 posts, read 14,399,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coast69 View Post
My friend is going to be here for 3 days mid april from friday - sunday night.. he wants me to drive up from South OrangeCounty (dana pt.) to LAX at 6 AM to get him and then he wants to drive out to Joshua tree and camp there for 2 nights.. we do not have camping spots reserved since they are all taken also there are a few that say they are first come first serve and it is on a spring break weekend + free entry weekend.. I don't see the point in doing this and have suggested we simply camp on the coast in the city I live in and chill out for a couple days he insists on doing this and I just don't think its a good idea considering there is a 50% chance we will not get a camping spot and will be stuck sleeping in a hotel.. any advice?
I figured it'll take around 2 hours to get to LAX and another half an hour or so to find him.. and then 1 hour to get out of LAX due to traffic since its gonna be 8 am on a friday and then another 3-4-5 hours to joshua tree.. thats 7 hours of driving! I think it's ridiculous, correct me if I am wrong. This person has never been to California and doesn't believe me when I say it'll take in total from me driving to pick him up and us driving into the desert it'll take more than 6-7 hours.. this persons response is "Well google maps says...."
Tell him to rent a car and drive there on his own and when he has a space reserved you will join him.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Tell him to rent a car and drive there on his own and when he has a space reserved you will join him.
His license is suspended.. plus he will not have a cell phone either

He's coming in from Australia (20 hour flight) as well to go back home to New Mexico.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:52 AM

3,445 posts, read 2,861,268 times
why he still wants to camp at Joshua Tree when he is from New Mexico? not tired of desolate places yet?

Old 03-27-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
why he still wants to camp at Joshua Tree when he is from New Mexico? not tired of desolate places yet?

No idea. I insisted on camping on the coast but he says that is boring.

Old 03-27-2017, 12:01 PM

13,003 posts, read 9,001,255 times
Get a shuttle to take him from LAX to Dana Point. When you consider the cost of gas + your time + the annoyance of all that driving, it's a good deal. And maybe after making that trip on a Friday morning, he'll have a better picture of the traffic problems.

And trying to camp at Joshua Tree without reservations on a spring break weekend is absolutely ridiculous. If he insists on going there, drive out for the day very early on Saturday or Sunday morning so he can see the Joshua trees (and the crowds). This guy has no driver's license, no phone, and I'll bet he was counting on using your camping gear too. Just say no.

Old 03-27-2017, 12:58 PM

810 posts, read 1,635,309 times
His license was suspended? Why? No cell phone? Why?

I'm looking at your post through different eyes, I guess, because it reminds me of the very abusive relationship I was in when I was younger. He was trouble. I knew he had problems, but why oh why did I try to help him? Instead of getting him out of his hole, I got pulled in. I've mentioned on CD about being in financial debt. Well, these were the years...sigh.

He was very controlling, yet I did not, could not, simply walk away. I was the perfect puppet. A friend finally called the cops and freed me from the nightmare.

I hope this doesn't describe your friendship, but he does sound like a big pain. Just to have you pick him up at 6 am from any airport is a huge favor alone. I would never insist on having my host drive to JT for an unplanned camping trip.

You sound very nice, but if you don't think JT is a good idea and you don't want to go, then don't let him talk you into it. Don't give in. It's your gas, your car, your time, etc. Be firm. Do not give in just to avoid an argument or to keep peace.

If you do not want to go and you have a perfectly nice camping area nearby, then Mr. High Maintenance will have to settle for that.

Take care of yourself and I hope you guys have a nice time while he's here.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:14 PM

18,176 posts, read 14,399,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russlancea View Post

You sound very nice, but if you don't think JT is a good idea and you don't want to go, then don't let him talk you into it. Don't give in. It's your gas, your car, your time, etc. Be firm. Do not give in just to avoid an argument or to keep peace.

If you do not want to go and you have a perfectly nice camping area nearby, then Mr. High Maintenance will have to settle for that.

Take care of yourself and I hope you guys have a nice time while he's here.
This.

Old 03-27-2017, 03:51 PM

9,809 posts, read 10,053,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Get a shuttle to take him from LAX to Dana Point. When you consider the cost of gas + your time + the annoyance of all that driving, it's a good deal. And maybe after making that trip on a Friday morning, he'll have a better picture of the traffic problems.

And trying to camp at Joshua Tree without reservations on a spring break weekend is absolutely ridiculous. If he insists on going there, drive out for the day very early on Saturday or Sunday morning so he can see the Joshua trees (and the crowds). This guy has no driver's license, no phone, and I'll bet he was counting on using your camping gear too. Just say no.
I use Prime Time shuttle. It's well worth it for longer trips.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:54 PM

13,003 posts, read 9,001,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I use Prime Time shuttle. It's well worth it for longer trips.
That's the one we usually use as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County