Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 04:21 PM

37,092 posts, read 41,220,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny_View View Post
NOT when you ask in the way that the cashier asked.

It's one thing to ask: "Do you own a Honda?" Vs. "Do you enjoy using your Honda?" One is inquiring if you own something or not... The other is ASSUMING you own something that you may not even own.

See the difference??

And MY argument is that asking someone whether they even own an EBT card or not is NOT something that needs to be asked in the first place. And definitely doesn't need to be asked of EVERY single customer that comes into the store.

THIS was what was stated in a previous quote:

Don't you see the difference??

You don't see an issue with this??

Well of course. That would be the best thing to find out. I'm trying to figure out though why an Albertson's in IRVINE (of all places) would even assume that most of their customers need to be asked that question in the first place?? To the point where you have to ask EVERY single customer?? Yea riiiiiight.....

Or could it be that they ASSUMED that a black woman shopping in Irvine MUST be on food stamps?? That is presumptuous and that is more than likely what probably happened...hence the reason why the shopper got offended. Plus, the shopper could have probably realized that the person in front of her didn't get asked the very same question. So why did SHE get asked?? Just some things to think about.

And re: the lawsuit: Well, I'm not going to judge what someone should sue for or not (that's one's own personal business), but people have sued for rudeness/presumptuousness/harassment/and unruly behavior before (and actually won), so this isn't anything new.
We do not know if the cashier said exactly what the shopper claims was said. Is that what the cashier said, or is it what the shopper thinks she meant?

If the motivation for asking is in order to decide whether or not to charge for bags, then, yes, everyone* gets asked.

You keep talking about assumptions, but you make a lot of them yourself, including that there may have been another customer in line who did not get asked. If there were such a customer, we can also hypothesize that the *cashier knew from previous experience that that particular person did or did not use EBT.

The shopper's perception that she was discriminated against does not mean that discrimination was intended on the part of the cashier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 04:43 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,673,706 times
I'm frequently asked, "Do you need bags?" (I always say No, because I bring my own bags). But if I said yes, this still doesn't answer the question of whether the bags will be free or if I have to pay for them.

I don't know the motive of the cashier, but the whole situation is an awkward one no matter what. If a customer says, "Yes, I need bags," how is a cashier supposed to know whether to charge for them or not, before the fact? What should s/he say at that point?

If a customer, says, "No, no bags," then of course there would be no further questions. So to say that exactly the same questions should be asked of every customer is just silly.

(For what it's worth, if I said I needed bags, and was then asked "Will you be paying with EBT?" I would simply say no. No offense meant, or taken.)

Old 04-17-2017, 05:02 PM

5,733 posts, read 4,685,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Isn't the bolded the essence of customer service? Isn't that the business grocers are in?

Just saying...
Grocers are in the customer service business? I thought they were in the business of selling food.

So businesses are supposed to "put themselves in the shoes of every one of their customers" for empathy? Please.....

Old 04-17-2017, 05:48 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,780,328 times
ridiculous lawsuit... what's next? I have never been asked if I wanted to use EBT though, that is quite an odd remark but if someone said that to me I would just say no, how is it discrimination I don't understand. They are not denying her service or insulting her race... they are just clarifying the payment option.

Perhaps if someone asks me if I am going to use a credit card I should sue as well, store implies I am financially irresponsible for using credit, SUE

Although, I don't shop at Albertsons anyway, too expensive... especially their alcohol is way overpriced.

Old 04-17-2017, 06:16 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,119,732 times
Quote:
I don't think that question should be asked. Or like asking someone: "will you be using coupons today?" If that person doesn't "Remember" that they have coupons or that they are eligible for a senior citizen's discount, well then too bad!
Too bad for the rest of the people in line when the customer suddenly remembers after the fact that they have coupons and want the whole transaction done over again, this time with the coupons? Lots of coupons also require the cashier to write in the price of a 'free' item, faster to do it as the item is being rung up than having to go back to try to find the item price on the receipt, especially if the receipt is long and the customer has several of that type of coupon offer. I find it bizarre that anyone would find it rude or demeaning to ask about coupons at the beginning of a transaction.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:42 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,983,513 times
Wow, I just saw this lady on the local news talking about her lawsuit.

Suffice to say maybe if she stopped going to the grocery store looking and smelling like a haggared bum, she might not get harassed.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:07 PM

600 posts, read 566,154 times
I was approached by a white man at a Grocery store in Cypess. He offered to pay 75% of my groceries with his ent carrd and I give him cash.

I reported him and he was arrested. lol

But he was probably released with a warning since he was white.

Old 04-18-2017, 05:24 PM

129 posts, read 164,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
We do not know if the cashier said exactly what the shopper claims was said. Is that what the cashier said, or is it what the shopper thinks she meant?
But the same could be said that YOU don't know if the cashier actually meant it to be "funny" or not as well!

You weren't there. And if this woman is making a lawsuit about it, it was probably not something that she assumed was just a "mistake" or harmless.

I'm not going to say that her lawsuit is even needed (I can't argue whether it is or isn't since I didn't see what went down), but to deny that discrimination couldn't have possibly happened in Irvine is naive at best.

Quote:
If the motivation for asking is in order to decide whether or not to charge for bags, then, yes, everyone* gets asked.

You keep talking about assumptions, but you make a lot of them yourself, including that there may have been another customer in line who did not get asked. If there were such a customer, we can also hypothesize that the *cashier knew from previous experience that that particular person did or did not use EBT.

The shopper's perception that she was discriminated against does not mean that discrimination was intended on the part of the cashier.
But yet YOU'RE assuming that the cashier even ASKED everyone if they are using an EBT card. That's an assumption in itself, and not a very believable one at that.

My only reason for stating that MAYBE (just maybe!...not assuming, just showing what could have possibly taken place) the shopper had already seen/heard that others weren't being asked that same question, so perhaps she began to wonder why was SHE in particular being asked that question?

Anyway my whole original point is that this question wasn't needed to be asked in the first place (of ANY customer mind you), and so far, there have been no real valid reasons for why this type of question should have been asked of anyone.

Just out of curiosity, how many times have YOU been to the grocery store and have been asked if you would be using "your EBT card"??

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Wow, I just saw this lady on the local news talking about her lawsuit.

Suffice to say maybe if she stopped going to the grocery store looking and smelling like a haggared bum, she might not get harassed

This woman looks like a "haggard bum"??? Seriously?? With her hair done and nails done? REALLY? What about her is "haggard" exactly? Her clothes look clean, she looks like she has bathed, and she looks put together. What makes her look haggard exactly?

But then again...maybe all people of a certain race look like "haggard bums" to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Too bad for the rest of the people in line when the customer suddenly remembers after the fact that they have coupons and want the whole transaction done over again, this time with the coupons? Lots of coupons also require the cashier to write in the price of a 'free' item, faster to do it as the item is being rung up than having to go back to try to find the item price on the receipt, especially if the receipt is long and the customer has several of that type of coupon offer. I find it bizarre that anyone would find it rude or demeaning to ask about coupons at the beginning of a transaction.
The coupon question is a good analogy (yes), but we're not talking about coupons here. We're talking about EBT/Food stamps/Govt assistance. There is a HUGE difference between that and cutting up coupons that everyone can find in the Sunday paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
ridiculous lawsuit... what's next? I have never been asked if I wanted to use EBT though, that is quite an odd remark but if someone said that to me I would just say no, how is it discrimination I don't understand. They are not denying her service or insulting her race... they are just clarifying the payment option.

Perhaps if someone asks me if I am going to use a credit card I should sue as well, store implies I am financially irresponsible for using credit, SUE

Although, I don't shop at Albertsons anyway, too expensive... especially their alcohol is way overpriced.
Wow....many of you all don't realize what discrimination really is.

Sometimes discrimination is NOT just about verbal insults or racial epithets. Sometimes it's simply ASSUMING something about someone JUST because they may be of a certain gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, etc. And usually the assumption is NOT something positive. Sometimes it's about treating some differently (usually negatively) than everyone else simply because they look different, are different, or are from another country/background/etc.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:24 PM

37,092 posts, read 41,220,763 times
Quote:
But the same could be said that YOU don't know if the cashier actually meant it to be "funny" or not as well!

You weren't there. And if this woman is making a lawsuit about it, it was probably not something that she assumed was just a "mistake" or harmless.

I'm not going to say that her lawsuit is even needed (I can't argue whether it is or isn't since I didn't see what went down), but to deny that discrimination couldn't have possibly happened in Irvine is naive at best.

But yet YOU'RE assuming that the cashier even ASKED everyone if they are using an EBT card. That's an assumption in itself, and not a very believable one at that.

My only reason for stating that MAYBE (just maybe!...not assuming, just showing what could have possibly taken place) the shopper had already seen/heard that others weren't being asked that same question, so perhaps she began to wonder why was SHE in particular being asked that question?

Anyway my whole original point is that this question wasn't needed to be asked in the first place (of ANY customer mind you), and so far, there have been no real valid reasons for why this type of question should have been asked of anyone.

Just out of curiosity, how many times have YOU been to the grocery store and have been asked if you would be using "your EBT card"??

The coupon question is a good analogy (yes), but we're not talking about coupons here. We're talking about EBT/Food stamps/Govt assistance. There is a HUGE difference between that and cutting up coupons that everyone can find in the Sunday paper.

Wow....many of you all don't realize what discrimination really is.

Sometimes discrimination is NOT just about verbal insults or racial epithets. Sometimes it's simply ASSUMING something about someone JUST because they may be of a certain gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, etc. And usually the assumption is NOT something positive. Sometimes it's about treating some differently (usually negatively) than everyone else simply because they look different, are different, or are from another country/background/etc.
I never said I thought the cashier was trying to be funny. You must be confusing me with someone else.

We do not know that the cashier actually used the word "your".

The reason given by the store mangement for asking about EBT in order to charge for bags (or not) before the total of the order is added up. That appears to me to be a valid reason to ask.

We do not know that the cashier only asks African American customers about EBT or that the customer in the OP is the only person that cashier has ever asked about EBT.

It's not right to discriminate, but it's also not right to see discrimination where there is none intended. I am not convinced this cashier was assuming anything about the customer. As far as I am concerned, totalling the order without asking and then not charging for bags would be making an assumption. Why ask the question at all unless you see a possibilty that the answer will be "no"?

Seeing other customers being checked out without being asked is pure speculation on your part. The customer has not been quoted as saying that. It would not mean anything because the cashier could easily know which of her regular customers use EBT and which do not. She would not need to ask them. See, I can speculate as easily as you do.

Stores here do not have to charge for bags, so, no there would be no reason to ask the question.

People usually sue because they are hoping to win some money. I do not consider this event worthy of a lawsuit with a big payout, though. The customer was not refused service. She was not followed around for fear she was a shoplifter. She was asked a simple question that she has read discriminatory intent into that I just do not see was there, considering the bag issue.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:49 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,983,513 times
Quote:

This woman looks like a "haggard bum"??? Seriously?? With her hair done and nails done? REALLY? What about her is "haggard" exactly? Her clothes look clean, she looks like she has bathed, and she looks put together. What makes her look haggard exactly?

But then again...maybe all people of a certain race look like "haggard bums" to you.

That's a STAGED interview picture with OC Register. In her real pictures via her Facebook and social media postings, she comes off as pretty ghetto.

Even if she looked like a foreign princess, it still doesn't do anything for the fact that she's basically inventing a story to try and make some pity lawsuit money based on a huge fat lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County