Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 07:20 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,244,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
People today don't want to do the move up over time. They want the "I have arrived " house and car asap.
I lived in my last house 18 years saving to get a down for the new house.
This is one of the major problems today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 07:29 PM

12,734 posts, read 9,363,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
It's pretty simple.

You:
(1) Build more houses,
(2) Reduce demand, or
(3) Both

To do (1) you need to:
Find a reasonably desirable plot of land and/or
Build higher density buildings

Doing this takes time. Zoning regulations, neighborhood opposition, lawsuits, etc.. from various interest groups will oppose new development. ("NIMBY"). Practically every investor will oppose new development so that their existing investments keeps going up in value.

To do (2) you need to:
Enact laws that controls the way people buy homes and/or
Make OC less desirable (enact the crappiest public policies possible that drives people away)

You can limit investing, ban certain investments, tax investments, etc.. to discourage investors from buying homes to rent out and not live in. Or just straight up trash the public education system so that everyone hates it and wants to leave, or something like that. Existing neighbors will oppose new developments sometimes because of attempting to preserve the status quo/culture. Part of the whole NIMBY thing but different flavor.

That's what free market capitalism does for ya , creates headaches like this when you make something desirable.
You would think the COL would drive people away.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:14 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,215,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post

You would think. People are willing to sacrifice to live there. I had people with 80-120k and higher income who were applying. I thought last year was nuts. If i relist a property it's going to be even more crazy

Old 05-18-2017, 09:23 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,856,404 times
Quote:
You would think. People are willing to sacrifice to live there. I had people with 80-120k and higher income who were applying. I thought last year was nuts. If i relist a property it's going to be even more crazy
I had a couple that makes over $150K combined, plus they put up a years worth of rent up front to rent my house.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:42 AM

12,734 posts, read 9,363,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I had a couple that makes over $150K combined, plus they put up a years worth of rent up front to rent my house.
Nice.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:46 AM

2,940 posts, read 1,796,522 times
Quote:
Perhaps you DON'T buy that $800K house with your $100K income but you buy that $500K condo and live there for a few years, save your money in the meantime, then sell it for $800K in the next upswing so you can buy that $1M SFR. Maybe by this time your salary has increased, or you have met someone who also earn a good income, and you can combine your resources for your "upgrade".

That's how people in the "good old days" do it. I had "friends" who told me that they would not live in this $hitty neighborhood even if I pay them only to have them jealous with envy when I sold my fixer upper and bought a nice house in a very desirable neighborhood.

Those who are not "determined" will always have excuses why they can not afford to buy a place of their own. Sell that $50K Lexus and don't spend more than $50 on a date. You'll find a way.
Does this rule also apply to other things too? Or somehow it just magically applies only to real estate?

Maybe I should shoot for owning a Ferrari on my $50k income and find a way to get there eventually?
I mean just listen to yourself talk for a second. The absurdity is pretty amazing. How high of a price will make you stop? 1M? 1.25M? 1.5M? 10M? ...

Maybe your philosophy in life is different than most new buyers. Maybe you live to just work and pay bills. Others work to live it up by not paying bills unnecessarily.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:49 AM

2,940 posts, read 1,796,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Public policy is not a direct causation of COL though it's a factor. Don't mistake that. There's many other factors that goes into COL.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:08 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,215,981 times
Quote:
Be careful with accepting that kind of amount of money up front in California.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
Does this rule also apply to other things too? Or somehow it just magically applies only to real estate?

Maybe I should shoot for owning a Ferrari on my $50k income and find a way to get there eventually?
I mean just listen to yourself talk for a second. The absurdity is pretty amazing. How high of a price will make you stop? 1M? 1.25M? 1.5M? 10M? ...

Maybe your philosophy in life is different than most new buyers. Maybe you live to just work and pay bills. Others work to live it up by not paying bills unnecessarily.
. I think my approach is consistent with SERIOUS home buyers today.

If you're only making $50K and living in OC, I doubt you can afford anything but a beater car. You can DREAM about a Ferrari but your energy are better utilized on something achievable, like save your money, work hard, and plan seriously for your future.

Don't spend money you don't have trying to impress some girls. You'd be more impressive if you are careful with your money and plan for your future, to the right girl and to her parents.

How is your credit score? I'd imagine it's pretty low if you are living it up and NOT paying your bills

Old 05-19-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Be careful with accepting that kind of amount of money up front in California.
I use a property management firm. They put money into an account and draw from there monthly. I am legally protected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County