Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 05:04 PM

489 posts, read 1,914,745 times

Advertisements

Two things. #1 from what I have been reading bob-jenkins tends to be a "troll", as in a person who posts things to start turmoil in the forum.
#2- Southern California is an massive, highly populated area. Between the two metropolitan areas that make up Los Angeles (LA/OC & Riverside/San Bernardino) there are approximately 18 million people. That being said it is one of the most tolerant, diverse areas in our nation, if not the world. This isn't the east coast, people here really don't really care how you look, the way you dress, the religion you practice, etc... It's a live and let live society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 07:11 PM

72 posts, read 261,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-jenkins View Post
Your ethnicity should be fine by the people here. Generally, we are very accepting of Europeans, Middle Easterners, Asians, African Americans, Filipinos, etc. Now, if you were hispanic, that would be a different story.
I dont see anything racist about this. Hispanics are poorly treated by MANY county residents. People (not all, but a significant number) look down upon them. As a county, people are more respectful of other immigrants, but generally Hispanics are seen as lower, although this is an unfair assumption.

I want to ask you OC natives honestly and truly (primarily non-hispanics). Would you send your student to a school in Santa Ana school that is 99.9% hispanic or an Irvine school that is 99.9% asian? I do not know ANY family who would send their children to the school in Santa Ana (besides a hispanic family). Come on, dont lie to yourselves, Hispanics are not treated as well as the other groups in the county (just look at all the hate messages on the ocregister website). I personally have no problems with any immigrant group specifically, but it doesnt change the fact that there are discrepencies in the treatments (and how people view immigrants of hispanic origin) in this county.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:15 PM

489 posts, read 1,914,745 times
Thank you for clarifying that post

Old 03-11-2008, 08:39 PM

986 posts, read 3,550,430 times
hi there, well im from the UK originally although i am half middle Eastern, but now live in Orlando Fl, but my wife and i are thinking about buying a second home over in OC. We liked the area you are looking in. We scoured around that area, and if you need any info from a brit with ethnic origins feel free to let me know

Old 03-11-2008, 09:00 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,753,445 times
Quote:
I dont see anything racist about this. Hispanics are poorly treated by MANY county residents. People (not all, but a significant number) look down upon them. As a county, people are more respectful of other immigrants, but generally Hispanics are seen as lower, although this is an unfair assumption.

I want to ask you OC natives honestly and truly (primarily non-hispanics). Would you send your student to a school in Santa Ana school that is 99.9% hispanic or an Irvine school that is 99.9% asian? I do not know ANY family who would send their children to the school in Santa Ana (besides a hispanic family). Come on, dont lie to yourselves, Hispanics are not treated as well as the other groups in the county (just look at all the hate messages on the ocregister website). I personally have no problems with any immigrant group specifically, but it doesnt change the fact that there are discrepencies in the treatments (and how people view immigrants of hispanic origin) in this county.
Yeah, the original statement seemed kind of vague. I though you meant we as you included. But you were just calling it as how it is. True Story.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:04 PM

2 posts, read 4,387 times
"Thank you Hossainrobin it was very interesting to read about your experience.
Living in Britain we are very much used to having friends from all different backgrounds and races, do you think we can emulate this once we complete our move to California (OC)?

Also do you think people will be cautious of us because we are Muslim?
We do not wear any religious clothing, and certainly to do not agree with extremism etc etc..."

Tahir and Shaela - to answer your questions above.

The media here can openly and shamelessly attack Muslim - Neil Boortz, Micheal Savage, Ann Coulter... you'll learn about this when you get here.

Americans don't like weak quiet types - I can switch my character to "overpowering extrovert" - that, combined with super friendliness and my very open Muslim identity works for me.

The 'excuse me sir' part of British culture is truly a no-no here. You'll have to open up considerably and be able to communicate confidently and intelligently. You'll learn exactly what I mean within a few months of settling down. But once you've adjusted socially - you can make your time here into whatever you want - yes there are racists everywhere but there are more good people everywhere who have good hearts - and thats what makes lifes experiences cherishable.

I think even as Muslims, you can build a wonderful life out here. Just be sincere, friendly, helpful - and good people will come...

I wish you well.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:47 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Quote:

Bob-Jenkins - this post does clarify you prior more vague post. However, I would also like to offer a clarification to your thinking and to others on this board:

1) You do know that Hispanics don't just live in Santa Ana?
2) There are many Hispanic-Americans in OC that don't consider themselves the lower breed here.
3) Realize every-time you propagate oppression, racism here on this board you are doing nothing to help the situation for us Hispanics here who are fighting these issues everyday.

As far as the schools:
1) I am Hispanic and I would not send my kids to a Santa Ana School, because these schools are bad.

However:
2) If I were black living in L.A. I would not send my kids to compton to go to school either.
3) If I were asian in OC I would not send my kids to Newport Beach to go to school because the curriculum is too low.

I think in a way you might be "calling it like you see it" which is cool, but realize there are many Hispanics here in SoCal that are tired of getting generalized with the folks that live in Santa Ana. "Hispanics" is a very general term, maybe you mean "illegals"?

One more small observation from an affluent Hispanic living in Irvine. I find that Asian, Indian, African Americans are very kind, the only racism I field here in OC seems to come from the White population, but thankfully most White people here are rational and don't just see another "low class Hispanic", however I do find it interesting.

Last edited by Mach50; 03-12-2008 at 09:57 AM..

Old 03-12-2008, 11:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,467 times
I live in Aliso Viejo and absolutely love it. I find that there is a great diversity here in Orange County and am confident you will like living here. I am asian american and have never felt out of place here. A friend of mine just moved here from the UK and really likes living in Orange County. The weather is beautiful, beach is close, and there are plenty of great restaurants. His only complaint is that he misses the big city. Orange County is sprawled out, so driving is a must. As far as friendliness, I think the people here in Orange County are generally kind and easy going. It is just as easy or as hard to make friends here as it is anywhere... you just need to be willing to put yourself out there. Good luck.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:32 AM

7 posts, read 21,041 times
Wow, we are so overwhelmed with all the replies and lovely messages. Thank you all so much.

We feel a lot more at ease now and it is becoming more and more apparent that we will make this move. We are very much looking forward to spending time in the OC in July and hope to get things on track soon.

It is comforting to hear positive stories and comments, although we know there will be difficulties along the way, too. I am sure that we will be posting a lot more questions up on the forum as the time for us to make the move comes closer. So, we will be relying on the generosity that we have received so far!

In terms of work for my wife, she has just graduated from university and is hoping to complete a further qualification in ACCA. Are there any good accountancy firms or financial institutes around Aliso Viejo? She is not very keen on commuting and was hoping to find work within close proximity to a place which we will hopefully be calling 'home' soon.

Also, we would like to know more about Aliso Viejo, in regards to activities within the community. Are there any events that take place where the whole community can get together? We are both interested in doing charity work in our spare time, so we would be more than willing to help any charitable organisations that are local to the area.

One final question... and this is from my wife - what is the shopping like? Do you have to travel far or are there good shopping centres/malls within the Aliso Viejo vicinity?

We very much appreciate all the useful information you have been putting up, so please keep posting!

Thank you!

Old 03-12-2008, 03:58 PM

72 posts, read 261,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Bob-Jenkins - this post does clarify you prior more vague post. However, I would also like to offer a clarification to your thinking and to others on this board:

1) You do know that Hispanics don't just live in Santa Ana?
2) There are many Hispanic-Americans in OC that don't consider themselves the lower breed here.
3) Realize every-time you propagate oppression, racism here on this board you are doing nothing to help the situation for us Hispanics here who are fighting these issues everyday.

As far as the schools:
1) I am Hispanic and I would not send my kids to a Santa Ana School, because these schools are bad.

However:
2) If I were black living in L.A. I would not send my kids to compton to go to school either.
3) If I were asian in OC I would not send my kids to Newport Beach to go to school because the curriculum is too low.

I think in a way you might be "calling it like you see it" which is cool, but realize there are many Hispanics here in SoCal that are tired of getting generalized with the folks that live in Santa Ana. "Hispanics" is a very general term, maybe you mean "illegals"?

One more small observation from an affluent Hispanic living in Irvine. I find that Asian, Indian, African Americans are very kind, the only racism I field here in OC seems to come from the White population, but thankfully most White people here are rational and don't just see another "low class Hispanic", however I do find it interesting.
When I originally made this post, I made it because I saw that they were moving to Aliso Viejo. THE CITY OF ALISO VIEJO IS THE BIRTHPLACE OF THE MINUTEMEN PROJECT, THE NATIONS LARGEST ANTI-ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT GROUP. I would not recommend a hispanic move to that city for the sheer fact that the city has such a reputation. Now maybe your different (and actually know english) which you seem to. For all I am concerned, an American is an American.

I want to straighten myself up.
1. I have no problems with Hispanic people. The legal ones are American citizens who deserve respect and love from other Americans. I have good friends who are hispanic.
2. I have a problem with someone who is ignorant to the American culture and refuses to learn English, which accounts for the 57% of the Santa Ana population that does not know any english as well as the 81% of students who enter elementary school in the district knowing no english. Those are the hispanics I am speaking of.
3. I have a problem with "leeching" illegal immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County