Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 01:34 PM

7 posts, read 21,035 times

Advertisements

Hi there, my wife and I are thinking of moving to Aliso Viejo sometime in the near future and would like to know whether we would fit into the community being British muslim-asians.

We love the lifestyle and climate in California compared to that of the UK.
We are both young professionals - am in IT and my wife is a trainee accountant. We have read previous posts about how people are concerned of being 'stared at' for being coloured - is this true? Is there any stereotyping of people of ethnic backgrounds?

We are very free and open-minded people and enjoy meeting people of all backgrounds/cultures and religions.

We would really appreciate all your thoughts and comments. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 03:26 PM

810 posts, read 2,161,599 times
Asian in England (all of Britain?) refers to South Asians ie Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis, Sri Lankans etc

Old 03-09-2008, 07:51 PM

72 posts, read 261,535 times
Your ethnicity should be fine by the people here. Generally, we are very accepting of Europeans, Middle Easterners, Asians, African Americans, Filipinos, etc. Now, if you were hispanic, that would be a different story.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:48 AM

Thank you both for your reply, myself and my wife both picture Californians as being very friendly and open minded people, like ourselves.
We visited New York last year and found the people there polite and very welcoming, and we hear Californian people are even friendlier.
We have many questions we would like to ask but one of them is this, which neighbourhoods are the best in OC? And is Aliso Viejo a good choice for us?

Old 03-10-2008, 11:00 AM

72 posts, read 261,535 times
Assuming you are an upper-middle class family wanting a safe neighborhood, Aliso Viejo, Irvine, Tustin Ranch, Laguna Niguel, Mission Viejo, Ladera Ranch, Laguna Hills, and Rancho Santa Margarita would be great options. For a more upper class family (homes exceeding $1M) you might want to check out northeast OC (Yorba Linda, Anaheim Hills, Orange Hills, North Tustin, and Villa Park) or along the southern Coast of the county (Newport, Laguna). Good luck, and welcome to beautiful OC!

Also, feel free to ask away, we are here to help you!

Old 03-10-2008, 11:50 AM

Thank you very much. Unfortunately, we aren't that fortunate to have a budget that reaches $1M. However, we were thinking around the $700, 000 price bracket. Would you say that this is sufficient to buy a single family home?

We will be coming to California in July for two weeks and we are very much looking forward to getting to know each neighbourhood better.

And yes, Vivo, you are correct in saying that in Britain we refer to Asians as being Indians, Bangladeshis, Sri Lankans etc.
I am of Indian ethnic origin and my wife is of Bangladeshi ethnic origin. However, we were both born and bought up in Britain and are not happy in this dull, lifeless country anymore.

Once again, thank you for being so informative. We very much appreciate it!

Old 03-10-2008, 12:41 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,496,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-jenkins View Post
Your ethnicity should be fine by the people here. Generally, we are very accepting of Europeans, Middle Easterners, Asians, African Americans, Filipinos, etc. Now, if you were hispanic, that would be a different story.
Wow Bob-Jenkins do you live in OC? What is with all the racism towards hispanics on this board?

Old 03-10-2008, 12:55 PM

810 posts, read 2,161,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahir & Shaela View Post
Thank you very much. Unfortunately, we aren't that fortunate to have a budget that reaches $1M. However, we were thinking around the $700, 000 price bracket. Would you say that this is sufficient to buy a single family home?

We will be coming to California in July for two weeks and we are very much looking forward to getting to know each neighbourhood better.

And yes, Vivo, you are correct in saying that in Britain we refer to Asians as being Indians, Bangladeshis, Sri Lankans etc.
I am of Indian ethnic origin and my wife is of Bangladeshi ethnic origin. However, we were both born and bought up in Britain and are not happy in this dull, lifeless country anymore.

Once again, thank you for being so informative. We very much appreciate it!
yeah just wanted to post that for the benefit of other people here. Asians in the US refer to East/SE Asians (don't refer to them as Orientals!)

Old 03-10-2008, 02:55 PM

85 posts, read 283,653 times
what are you on about vivo?

Old 03-10-2008, 03:03 PM

85 posts, read 283,653 times
California is not New York, not all Californians are that friendly, live away from Irvine although it does have a big Asian community . The American way of life is very different from the UK. We have been here 18 months now and find it hard to make friends, although i do live in an apartment and i know people outside Irvine and they have become good friends, just incase you haven't guessed i am British.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County