Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 07:35 PM

426 posts, read 423,911 times

Advertisements

Save your money. Irvine is for, out of town, suckers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 08:38 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 06-20-2017 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: Incorrect post

Old 06-20-2017, 11:35 PM

384 posts, read 734,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glowinthedark View Post
Almost all of newer South OC (Irvine and points south, including Lake Forest, Mission Viejo, Aliso Viejo, Laguna Niguel, Ladera Ranch, etc) are cookie cutter suburban housing tracts, unless you can pay 2 million plus for a custom estate.
I would take any these cities any day now over Irvine.

Old 06-25-2017, 03:30 PM

50 posts, read 314,601 times
As far as public schools go, Irvine's are among the very best academically, but a lot of than is due to the value of education to the large Asian population. Realize that Irvine Public School System is in California and the teachers are all union. Be prepared for your children to be indoctrinated in collective liberal values, which can really damage their abilities to be self-reliant when they are adults. I would never send my child to a California public school.

Rents are super high-- a 2 bedroom right now are going for about $2800. You may want to consider Costa Mesa where the rents are less expensive I believe.

Good luck!

Old 05-13-2018, 10:48 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob043055 View Post
As far as public schools go, Irvine's are among the very best academically, but a lot of than is due to the value of education to the large Asian population. Realize that Irvine Public School System is in California and the teachers are all union. Be prepared for your children to be indoctrinated in collective liberal values, which can really damage their abilities to be self-reliant when they are adults. I would never send my child to a California public school.

Rents are super high-- a 2 bedroom right now are going for about $2800. You may want to consider Costa Mesa where the rents are less expensive I believe.

Good luck!
Amen. Orange County is alot more liberal than most think. It voted for Hillary last election. Only South Orange County is still relatively conservative, but the remaining 80% of the county is rapidly liberalizing. And California as a whole--our leftist bent resembles Germany more than it does the US as a whole.

Irvine is also surprisingly liberal, even outside of UCI. Look at the voter registration trends--Obama won over McCain by 13%, and the city has only gotten bluer and bluer since then. It can't be just because of UCI; has to do with the newcomers moving in.

And yes, going to school in Irvine, the competition and workload could easily rival some smart-whip Asian country like Singapore!

Old 05-14-2018, 08:13 PM

283 posts, read 625,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Amen. Orange County is alot more liberal than most think. It voted for Hillary last election. Only South Orange County is still relatively conservative, but the remaining 80% of the county is rapidly liberalizing. And California as a whole--our leftist bent resembles Germany more than it does the US as a whole.

Irvine is also surprisingly liberal, even outside of UCI. Look at the voter registration trends--Obama won over McCain by 13%, and the city has only gotten bluer and bluer since then. It can't be just because of UCI; has to do with the newcomers moving in.

And yes, going to school in Irvine, the competition and workload could easily rival some smart-whip Asian country like Singapore!
All the best parts of OC voted republican

Villa Park
Newport Beach
Coto
Anaheim Hills
Yorba Linda etc

Laguna Beach has been liberal since its inception
Attached Thumbnails
Moving to Irvine with Kids-screen-shot-2018-05-12-10.36.10  

Old 05-15-2018, 10:16 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalpal View Post
All the best parts of OC voted republican

Villa Park
Newport Beach
Coto
Anaheim Hills
Yorba Linda etc

Laguna Beach has been liberal since its inception
But it is changing as virtually all of OC was conservative at one time.

Old 05-15-2018, 10:18 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob043055 View Post

Good luck!
Isn't it a shame the non Asian population is not as interested in their kids education.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:39 AM

283 posts, read 625,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
But it is changing as virtually all of OC was conservative at one time.
2008 was a similar trend so been going on for a while now.

Areas around Santa Ana (including Irvine, Garden Grove etc) vote dem

Rest of the county votes republican.
Attached Thumbnails
Moving to Irvine with Kids-screen-shot-2018-05-15-10.34.47  

Old 05-16-2018, 01:53 PM

121 posts, read 158,209 times
Grew up in an SD coastal beach town, moved to Irvine in middle school, choose to buy a non cookie cutter home on a big hill in North Tustin now that I have a family and it's honestly the best decision we could have made. Irvine was not the place for us.

Life has been good here and you will not find another area really like this in OC.

That said, we have decided that we are leaving California all together, because when you add everything up (all aspects of life) we don't really see the value it has as far as living an actual high quality of life. The political environment is beyond insanity, the constant passing of twisted bills, laws and taxes is endless and now that Newsom will likely replace Brown it's only going to get worse.

Good luck on your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County