Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2018, 08:00 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,133,689 times

Advertisements

I cannot prove it anecdotally since you'd reject that. But in my experience in visiting family and friends, many, many, many would like to come, especially to California. It is not easy for them to come, as I have already written over and over. The same is true for many Britons too in my experience although I have less contact with Britons than I do Germans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2018, 04:57 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,382,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Then prove it.. I'm pretty sure they keep data on the number of immigration applications received by country, if you want to make a case that tons of Germans want to come here and aren't allowed to, then that's the way to prove it, dontcha think?
Just because someone wants to does not mean they get to. Immigration to the US is not a right, it is a privilege. Those who get to should fit a specific need no American does, shouldn't they?

Old 11-09-2018, 05:58 AM

26,712 posts, read 26,770,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
DACA is dead.
A three-member panel of the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals rejected the Trump administration’s request to lift a nationwide injunction against his rescinding the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program.

Trump loses

Old 11-09-2018, 04:39 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,231,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Just because someone wants to does not mean they get to. Immigration to the US is not a right, it is a privilege. Those who get to should fit a specific need no American does, shouldn't they?
"Fit a special need that no American does" What kind of skills do they have then are we looking for deep sea divers with gills so that we don't have to send them down with oxygen tanks? For most jobs we have an adequate number of Americans, but employers prefer immigrants because they can pay them less, and then we have jobs that no Americans want no matter what the pay, you know like picking tomatoes, laying out irrigation pipe and cleaning toilets - and that is the need that illegal immigrants fill whether you want to admit it or not.

Old 11-09-2018, 05:48 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,382,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
"Fit a special need that no American does" What kind of skills do they have then are we looking for deep sea divers with gills so that we don't have to send them down with oxygen tanks? For most jobs we have an adequate number of Americans, but employers prefer immigrants because they can pay them less, and then we have jobs that no Americans want no matter what the pay, you know like picking tomatoes, laying out irrigation pipe and cleaning toilets - and that is the need that illegal immigrants fill whether you want to admit it or not.
American's have been replaced by immigrants at all levels of work.

An example of this happening to Americans who wanted work and were doing it.

Instead, about 250 Disney employees were told in late October that they would be laid off. Many of their jobs were transferred to immigrants on temporary visas for highly skilled technical workers, who were brought in by an outsourcing firm based in India. Over the next three months, some Disney employees were required to train their replacements to do the jobs they had lost.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/04/u...lacements.html

As to the "dirty" Jobs I had a LOT of Americans working for me when I did landscaping and laid down a LOT of irrigation pipe. Those jobs disappeared, even though there were plenty of Americans who wanted the work, when illegals began to dominate the business, at wayyy cheaper wages. There are Americans doing those jobs all over the Country, including AG jobs. Just not in CA so much. Oh isn't it racists to suggest they illegals are the ones who should do dirty jobs that are beneath Americans to do?????

Old 11-09-2018, 06:06 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,231,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
American's have been replaced by immigrants at all levels of work.
An example of this happening to Americans who wanted work and were doing it.
Instead, about 250 Disney employees were told in late October that they would be laid off. Many of their jobs were transferred to immigrants on temporary visas for highly skilled technical workers, who were brought in by an outsourcing firm based in India. Over the next three months, some Disney employees were required to train their replacements to do the jobs they had lost.
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/04/u...lacements.html
As to the "dirty" Jobs I had a LOT of Americans working for me when I did landscaping and laid down a LOT of irrigation pipe. Those jobs disappeared, even though there were plenty of Americans who wanted the work, when illegals began to dominate the business, at wayyy cheaper wages. There are Americans doing those jobs all over the Country, including AG jobs. Just not in CA so much. Oh isn't it racists to suggest they illegals are the ones who should do dirty jobs that are beneath Americans to do?????
So what are the jobs that fit a specific need that no American can do, you still didn't answer that?

And the irrigation work you did, I bet that was residential. I'm talking about farm irrigation, it's hard work and the job isn't year round, since most farms aren't near decent sized population centers it's real hard to talk a citizen into driving 80 or 100 miles a day for a temporary job no matter what it pays. My cousin can't find citizens who will do that work for more than a week before they walk out and never show up again. It's a real dilemma for farmers whether you want to acknowledge it or not. And FWIW she uses e-verify or she could fill those jobs in a few hours. That's why agriculture will never go for e-verify unless there are huge carve outs for their industry.

I know about the Disney fisco and So. Cal Edison did the same thing. H1B visas shouldn't be issued under any conditions, the entire program should be eliminated. I feel the same about H2B visas, the ones that Trump uses to staff his hotels. Do you have any idea how many good paying jobs have been filled by Russian and Polish construction workers who will work for minimum wage? How is that good for the US? How will we ever have wage growth when employers can fill almost any non farm job with an H2B? I'm very bit as disturbed by H1B and H2B visas as I am about illegal immigration, at least most illegals are doing work that no one else wants like picking crops and poultry processing. The visa holders are stealing full time jobs that Americans want and they are paying those people far less than their American counterparts.

Old 11-11-2018, 01:15 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,869,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
A three-member panel of the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals rejected the Trump administration’s request to lift a nationwide injunction against his rescinding the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program.

Trump loses
When it hits the majority Conservative Supreme Court he WINS forever. After Bader passess (2 bouts of cancer,falls/broken ribs, sleeping in public meetings).She will be replaced soon.

Trump will have a Conservative lock on the Supreme Court for decades AFTER he's left office. Watch Trump nominate a woman and the Libs will lie and claimed she grabbed someone's butt a half century ago or that she gave birth to a demon baby, it won't work.

Old 11-11-2018, 01:41 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,681,771 times
Is there anything we as citizens of the United States can do to encourage these illegals to leave? Could we all get together and make Bon voyage gift packs to give them? How about gift cards to the Mexico WalMart that could be distributed as they cross the border? Free one-way bus tickets? Surely there is something we could do to encourage Mexicans to go "Make Mexico Great Again".

Old 11-11-2018, 01:50 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,333,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Is there anything we as citizens of the United States can do to encourage these illegals to leave? Could we all get together and make Bon voyage gift packs to give them? How about gift cards to the Mexico WalMart that could be distributed as they cross the border? Free one-way bus tickets? Surely there is something we could do to encourage Mexicans to go "Make Mexico Great Again".
Actually the flow of illegal alien Mexicans has been out for the last decade.

Many now have lived here for 15 or 20 years or more.. They have US born children who are now becoming adults. They are basically now rooted in the US.

And the American people have no real interest in removing these long term residents.

And it is extremely likely they will mostly end up legalized.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:03 PM

26,712 posts, read 26,770,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
When it hits the majority Conservative Supreme Court he WINS forever. After Bader passess (2 bouts of cancer,falls/broken ribs, sleeping in public meetings).She will be replaced soon.

Trump will have a Conservative lock on the Supreme Court for decades AFTER he's left office.
Not necessarily.

Rep. Dana Rohrabacher has lost the congressional seat he held for 30 years in one of the most conservative stretches of Orange County. The defeat to Democrat real estate entrepreneur Harley Rouda represents a landmark shift away from the GOP for suburban America.

GOP Rep. Dana Rohrabacher loses, and the Republicans' 'bad year' may get worse yet - Los Angeles Times

Harley Rouda on Twitter:
"GOP is more focused on wasting 18 Billion on a wall and using #DACA as a pawn."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County