Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 09:36 AM

23,521 posts, read 24,006,421 times

Advertisements

Sounds like a great time!

I think the first time I've ever eaten Mexican food, was at Olvera Street. I was 5 years old (?), or thereabouts. My grandfather took us there and ordered my brother, sister and I, each a child's "taco plate".
After eating it, I was forever hooked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
The first time I went to Olvera Street was on a field trip in grammar school. My mom had given me a little bit of money to spend. I bought this huge, pink paper flower and had it tucked in over my bedroom window for years. lol And I never forgot the tacos. I've been back as an adult several times since. My paternal grandfather and grandmother came here from Mexico. They were married in the church there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2020, 01:16 PM

10 posts, read 37,932 times
Default Knott's stagecoach ride

A blurry pic of my sis and I (in blue) and 2 unknown boys riding the Wells Fargo stagecoach circa 1955.

Click image for larger version

Name:	knotts.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	299.1 KB
ID:	222453

Old 07-28-2020, 11:24 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,970,303 times
I went here the most of the amusement parks when I was a child in the 80s. I loved it. I still go from time to time as an adult, like every 1-3 yrs because I just love amusement parks. I'll always love that place!

Didn't finally try their chicken until one day in 2019 & it's good & actually has good flavor!

Old 07-29-2020, 08:03 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Several years ago I posted on this thread that my mom told a story of going on the Log Ride when she was pregnant with me, and the long drop frightened her.

Well, a few months ago I saw an article (in the OC Register?) about Knotts, and they mentioned the opening date of the Log Ride as July, 1969...two months AFTER I was born! My mom couldn't possibly have ridden it while pregnant with me. So much for that family story!

Old 07-29-2020, 07:33 PM

252 posts, read 422,588 times
Been going to knots since about the late 50's . Not so much to have a chicken dinner but to enjoy the overall western style ambiance and fun attractions.

At that time, Next door to Knots was an alligator farm, where they had a few hundred gators and the announcers / trainers would run across the backs of the gators to all of our amazement. However, they also had a huge pit with about 5 huge, huge crocks. At the time , I was 16 or 17 years old, I was not aware of the difference of a gator and a croc.

Well, there is a big difference, the gators were peaceful, sometimes barely opening their jaws as the trainer ran across their backs
No big deal. But at the Crocodile pit, very deep, they took large poles with dead chickens attached and lowered them into the pit. Those crocs leaped, snarled, and snapped big time. One heck of a lot of enormous violence. Good lesson for me in later years when we sailed and eco tripped Australia..

Additional FYI..... My very good friend, Mike B, who I professionally flew with as a certified flight instructor, and later with Air Combat U.S.A. ( fighter planes, 5 and G dog fights ), He actually was the owner of Air Combat USA at Fullerton Airport. In later years retired as a Capt with American Airlines. Point being his family owned the print shop there at Knots...( get your mug on a wanted poster, etc ). This was over many decades.

Just a different angle than the Chicken dinners. OH, when I was a kid, I also enjoyed panning gold there at Knots.

Well, that is about all that these memory banks can recall....Happy to see that Knots is still charging forward.

As to Disneyland, when I was in college, I worked there for a summer. ( about 1960 ) Had a great time, actually worked with Walt Disney during some of the production shows, and I need you to keep this very top secret. I was the very first HAPPY THE DWARF character...and the dynamic seven and Snowy were quite infamous through out the park. One summer was enough for the Mouse, and we were not invited back.

One heck of a summer !

Old 07-30-2020, 01:14 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,891,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Yes, Marineland is another place I recall. I only recall visiting that park once or twice. Marineland is now closed, but my wife and I visited Sea World (San Diego) the last time in 2009. As a child, Sea World was on our list of places, as was a place called Lion Country Safari, in Irvine (closed 1984). Remember that one?
Went to all four, Knotts, Marineland, Lion Country Safari and Sea World (in addition to Disneyland and newly opened Magic Mountain) in the 70s - and I’m from NorCa foothills. It seems amazing of the relatively undeveloped areas at the time that they all seemed to exist in and the approachable yet exciting exhibits and rides that presented themselves to us young kids. I remember the distorted “optical illusion” building at Knotts where bottles rolled uphill, etc... (I’m an architect now and it was pretty compelling) but it wasn’t much more than a somewhat expanded and settled County Fair at the time.

Old 07-31-2020, 09:39 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,299,218 times
Typically a resurrected thread annoys me, but this one is kind of timeless.

Spent a lot of time in middle school and high school hanging out at both Knott's and Disneyland. Back then, Disney had much cooler rides, but Knott's made efforts to improve and my senior year of HS put in the Corkscrew, which was the first roller coaster to put riders upside down. Since then Knott's has built some very cool coasters.

We still love going to Mrs Knott's CDR and have been three times since "the plague" started to get meals to go to support them.

Been to all the amusement/theme parks mentioned (SFMM, Lion Country Safari (who didn't have a Fraiser t-shirt?), Busch Gardens (yes they had rides, I remember a monorail and a boat ride and animal shows), Japanese Deer Park, Movieland Wax Museum (smelled funny) and Marineland), but also ones NOT mentioned like Pacific Ocean Park, Santa's Village, The Pike, Griffith Park Zoo, Beverly Park & Ponylamd and the Balboa Fun Zone (which at one time my friends and I went to pretty much daily).

Old 07-31-2020, 09:41 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,299,218 times
PS Santa's Village (Lake Arrowhead) has been partially reopened as an adventure park, while retaining some of the old buildings.

Old 08-01-2020, 07:52 AM

26,720 posts, read 26,793,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Been to all the amusement/theme parks mentioned...but also ones NOT mentioned like Pacific Ocean Park...
Lots of memories of Pacific Ocean Park. https://www.city-data.com/forum/los-...ark-santa.html

Old 08-01-2020, 02:14 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,781,400 times
Been to just about every amusement park in So California, including those now closed.

Knott's was always one of my favorites due to the old section. Watched it grow and grow and ... well grow.

Disneyland was next, as a kid I used to ask people leaving if I could have any of their ride tickets (yes this was long ago) and they would give me them and that kept me having fun all day. The entrance fee was minimal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County