Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2020, 07:07 PM

4,596 posts, read 2,988,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaidooley View Post
Been going to knots since about the late 50's . Not so much to have a chicken dinner but to enjoy the overall western style ambiance and fun attractions.

At that time, Next door to Knots was an alligator farm, where they had a few hundred gators and the announcers / trainers would run across the backs of the gators to all of our amazement. However, they also had a huge pit with about 5 huge, huge crocks. At the time , I was 16 or 17 years old, I was not aware of the difference of a gator and a croc.

Well, there is a big difference, the gators were peaceful, sometimes barely opening their jaws as the trainer ran across their backs
No big deal. But at the Crocodile pit, very deep, they took large poles with dead chickens attached and lowered them into the pit. Those crocs leaped, snarled, and snapped big time. One heck of a lot of enormous violence. Good lesson for me in later years when we sailed and eco tripped Australia..

When I was kid, the alligator farm was my favorite!

Enjoyed Marineland too.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2020, 12:19 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,297,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
Been to just about every amusement park in So California, including those now closed. Knott's was always one of my favorites due to the old section. Watched it grow and grow and ... well grow. Disneyland was next, as a kid I used to ask people leaving if I could have any of their ride tickets (yes this was long ago) and they would give me them and that kept me having fun all day. The entrance fee was minimal.
When I started at Disneyland in 1974 General Admission (admission into the park, no rides) was $5 for adults, $4 for Juniors (12-17) and $2 for Children (3-11); under 3 were (and are) free. Few people ever bothered since a Deluxe 15 Ride booklet was $7 for Adults, $6.50 for Juniors (12-17) and $6 for Children (3-11). Some clever people did just buy the $2 Child General Admission and then use Adult or Junior Coupons for the child.

Old 08-02-2020, 02:10 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,780,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
When I started at Disneyland in 1974 General Admission (admission into the park, no rides) was $5 for adults, $4 for Juniors (12-17) and $2 for Children (3-11); under 3 were (and are) free. Few people ever bothered since a Deluxe 15 Ride booklet was $7 for Adults, $6.50 for Juniors (12-17) and $6 for Children (3-11). Some clever people did just buy the $2 Child General Admission and then use Adult or Junior Coupons for the child.

I was there in the 60's and the cost was a little cheaper and yep those are the coupons. rarely got any E coupons, but enough of the others for a good time.

Old 08-03-2020, 01:56 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,358,288 times
I remember Knott's from the 70's as a kid. Our church would buy their sheet cakes from their bakery; they were so good and I would pick them up with my dad. I also remember getting in for free in the ghost town area, and there was a place in a house where the gravity was different and it was hard to walk in- I think they called it haunted. Those were the best days before Knotts took off and became huge; although I always liked the log ride, where I got my first kiss from a girl I liked in one of the tunnels.

They had chickens running loose in the Knott's parking lot, and my little brother had taken a chick home from school and it grew, and grew, and grew until we called it Dino chick. It had torn up all our landscaping in our backyard, and my dad had enough. We put the chicken in the back of our station wagon and drove to Knott's ( we lived in the Sunny Hills part of Fullerton) opened the back of the station wagon, and pushed him out. He could have served 3 for the chicken dinner steps from where we dropped him off!

Old 08-03-2020, 09:31 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
In the 1970's, the Knott family had a farm in San Luis Rey Valley. (Adjacent to North River Rd and Wilshire Rd.) It was known as "Camelot Ranch." Yes, they grew veggies (cauliflower being one of them.)

Don't know if the family still owns the property, but it is still farmed today. I'd ride over there and take a pic or two, but this site doesn't have tapatalk app.

Old 01-01-2021, 06:24 PM

148 posts, read 136,964 times
There actually used to be an airport called Anaheim Airport (previously called Luebkeman Airport) about a mile west of Knotts. This was in the 1940s.

Old 01-02-2021, 05:40 PM

82 posts, read 126,915 times
When we used to go on a trip to Disneyland from San Francisco every year, my father would make us go to Knotts Berry Farm for one of the days because they served alcohol, and he couldn't get a beer to drink in Disneyland.

I remember the ride where you stand on some platform with fake looking parachutes above you and it takes you up and then drops you. It looked fun from the ground, but as a little kid I was terrified of the ride once I got on it.

I remember the Western town and the log ride also. I haven't been there since the 1980's, so I'm not sure how much it's changed since then.

Old 01-02-2021, 07:05 PM

426 posts, read 352,893 times
So many boomers on this forum. crazy.

Old 01-02-2021, 07:10 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
So I am told by Japanese historical society friends-A portion of what is now known as knots berry farm was Japanese property that was entrusted to some American family when the Japanese were interned -when they were released -the American refused to return it to its owners
And it eventually ended up as part of knots berry farm -I am looking for the link now to support this comment
But clearly knot berry farm was a thriving farm and tourist spot long before ww2

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 01-02-2021 at 07:41 PM..

Old 01-03-2021, 10:45 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,297,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
So I am told by Japanese historical society friends-A portion of what is now known as knots berry farm was Japanese property that was entrusted to some American family when the Japanese were interned -when they were released -the American refused to return it to its owners
And it eventually ended up as part of knots berry farm -I am looking for the link now to support this comment But clearly knot berry farm was a thriving farm and tourist spot long before ww2
I've never ever heard this. I know there were some Japanese farms south of Buena Park, but as far as I know the Knott family owned that land since the 1920's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County