Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2017, 04:09 PM

13 posts, read 27,661 times

Advertisements

Hi all - I'm fairly new to this forum (obviously) and I was wondering if I could get some insight on how Ladera Ranch compares to Aliso Viejo for a young family with young kids. Thanks to various threads (mostly by pacific2 ) I feel like I've learned a decent amount about Aliso Viejo, but I don't know anything at all about Ladera Ranch or for that matter RSM

How do the cities compare in terms of (and anything else):
- Family friendly
- Diversity (ethnicity but also socio-economic and anything else)
- City cleanliness (pollution, toxic awareness, etc.)
- Schools/childrens' programs
- City's financial health/management
- Food/entertainment
- Access in and out of the city

Any insight would be much appreciated! Open to hearing about other cities too!

Last edited by RSolo; 08-14-2017 at 04:56 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 06:29 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,169,536 times
I've lived in both, but that was many years ago and both places have changed quite a bit since then. Aliso Viejo has way more in the way of food/entertainment. RSM probably has Ladera Ranch beat too. All 3 are not very freeway close, so getting in and out of the areas takes a little extra time depending on which part of the city you live in, or if you are willing to take the toll roads. All 3 have good amenities, like parks and many HOAs with pools and/or playgrounds. City data is a pretty good resource for some of your other questions:

//www.city-data.com/city/Aliso-...alifornia.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Ladera...alifornia.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Rancho...alifornia.html

Old 08-16-2017, 08:11 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Van Fossen View Post
I've lived in both, but that was many years ago and both places have changed quite a bit since then. Aliso Viejo has way more in the way of food/entertainment. RSM probably has Ladera Ranch beat too. All 3 are not very freeway close, so getting in and out of the areas takes a little extra time depending on which part of the city you live in, or if you are willing to take the toll roads. All 3 have good amenities, like parks and many HOAs with pools and/or playgrounds. City data is a pretty good resource for some of your other questions:

//www.city-data.com/city/Aliso-...alifornia.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Ladera...alifornia.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Rancho...alifornia.html
The first link shows Heisler Park...in Laguna Beach.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:06 AM

1,221 posts, read 1,046,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSolo View Post
Hi all - I'm fairly new to this forum (obviously) and I was wondering if I could get some insight on how Ladera Ranch compares to Aliso Viejo for a young family with young kids. Thanks to various threads (mostly by pacific2 ) I feel like I've learned a decent amount about Aliso Viejo, but I don't know anything at all about Ladera Ranch or for that matter RSM

How do the cities compare in terms of (and anything else):
- Family friendly
- Diversity (ethnicity but also socio-economic and anything else)
- City cleanliness (pollution, toxic awareness, etc.)
- Schools/childrens' programs
- City's financial health/management
- Food/entertainment
- Access in and out of the city

Any insight would be much appreciated! Open to hearing about other cities too!
I left south OC a few years ago but here's what I remember:

- They are both family friendly neighborhoods with many recently built housing and parks for children.
- They were both predominantly White during my time but when I went there recently I saw good mix of different ethnicities at major stores in both areas.
- Both are immaculately clean, like the rest of South Orange County
- Both have good schools, like the rest of South OC. Don't know about children's programs but I imagine they are good too since these are both family oriented cities.
- city financial health - not sure.
- Food/entertainment - AV is fairly new by California standards but is still more "established" than LR, which is even newer. With that said, I've observed more retail/restaurants in AV but this is based on what I saw back in 2010.
- access in and out of city - about the same.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:26 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,683,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kishac View Post
I left south OC a few years ago but here's what I remember:

- They are both family friendly neighborhoods with many recently built housing and parks for children.
- They were both predominantly White during my time but when I went there recently I saw good mix of different ethnicities at major stores in both areas.
- Both are immaculately clean, like the rest of South Orange County
- Both have good schools, like the rest of South OC. Don't know about children's programs but I imagine they are good too since these are both family oriented cities.
- city financial health - not sure.
- Food/entertainment - AV is fairly new by California standards but is still more "established" than LR, which is even newer. With that said, I've observed more retail/restaurants in AV but this is based on what I saw back in 2010.
- access in and out of city - about the same.
I don't know about Ladera Ranch's finances, but Aliso Viejo always has a balanced budget with a surplus.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:37 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,984,084 times
Both are similar.

Ladera Ranch will have you paying more taxes with all the mello roos.

Old 08-25-2017, 05:04 PM

Thanks so much for all the feedback! I think I'm still leaning towards AV but Ladera sounds nice.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:16 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,683,351 times
Just an aside, although Aliso Viejo's budget is balanced, there is concern over the future due to rapidly rising contract OC Sheriff Dept. expenses.
Aliso Viejo projects budget surplus despite rising sheriff’s costs – Orange County Register

AV is not alone in this regard, since all OCSD contract cities are in the same boat, and have to find ways to stem increasing sheriff's costs, over which they presently have no control. The problem, already serious, can get out of hand unless drastic changes are made.

Are Orange County cities paying sheriff too much for law enforcement? Study will tell – Orange County Register

"The 13 cities that pay the Orange County Sheriff’s Department to police their streets plan to study ways to reduce the costs of those law enforcement services after a handful complained that the price has risen steeply in recent years, straining budgets and leaving less money for other priorities.

At least three South Orange County cities – Lake Forest, Aliso Viejo and Rancho Santa Margarita – have seen sheriff’s costs increase by nearly 25 percent over the past few years. And in Laguna Woods, city officials fear that the whopping 78 percent jump in public safety costs over the last three years poses a threat to the city’s future solvency.

City managers from the 13 municipalities have met with each other and with Sheriff Sandra Hutchens over the past six months to discuss their concerns. Those officials say they hope the study will reveal whether they’re paying a fair price for law enforcement and whether alternative arrangements – such as having a single police chief for multiple cities or pooling resources to break away from the sheriff’s department – could save them money."

Last edited by pacific2; 08-29-2017 at 07:28 PM..

Old 09-05-2017, 02:39 PM

Thanks for that info! That's really disturbing but it's good to know that it's not an issue exclusive to Aliso.

Old 12-03-2017, 06:47 PM

97 posts, read 135,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSolo View Post
Thanks so much for all the feedback! I think I'm still leaning towards AV but Ladera sounds nice.
Ladera is wonderful! I can't say enough about it. Perfect for families and kids. Schools are great but like others said the shopping center is a bit of a ghost town. From
What I hear the property management has lease so high, businesses can't survive. I know the residents were really trying to do something about it but business after business closes. Such a turn over if businesses in Ladera its sad and I've seen a lot of the community do their best to try to support them. But that is the only downfall other than that Ladera is so perfect for families and behavior homes. If you chose ladera I think you would be really happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County