Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 11:49 PM

8,365 posts, read 7,558,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnugget View Post
Great post - she also always wanted to live in California.

and I wasn't really looking to relocate, this opportunity kind of just happened - without going into specifics, we have looked and if this doesn't work out, there are many more opportunities in my field of work in OC vs RTP.
Then, it's less of a risk.

But, do do the math, based on YOUR salary, not your salary plus future salary of your wife.

That way, you'll be covering your basis.

Don't forget to deduct out retirement and college savings, and the possibility of your wife not needing to go back to work as soon as possible in RTP.

And, definitely, fly out for a week and do some home tours to get a sense of how your living situation might differ in OC.

But, once you do all the logical equations, sometimes you just have to do what your heart tells you is the right choice for your family.

Just make sure you have a solid backup plan in case California doesn't turn out to be the dream you anticipate.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 11:51 PM

8,365 posts, read 7,558,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Paying 30 percent of one's income on housing in OC at 2017 prices?

That's just not how it is in the LA/OC market unless they have a huge income and even then no one limits themselves to that percentage. kek
Totally agree. But, in NC, it's possible.

So, the OP needs to compare apples to apples first and foremost. In other words: what does 30% of take home buy us in NC vs. OC?

Then, he and his wife can figure out how much they want to compromise on the percentage in order to live in California.

Old 10-01-2017, 08:35 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,023,222 times
Quote:
We currently live in the RTP area with 2 kids. I work for a good small company and make decent wage. My wife and I own a house with 2 kids. I am being recruited by a bigger company that is a good step for my career but it's in Orange County CA. I will potentially be making over 50% more than what I'm making now but that will need to be adjusted based on COL. We originally moved from the Northeast to NC so we don't have family in NC to tie us down. While we like NC and our life here, our original choice when we were moving was CA>NC.

We know that the our lifestyle will need to change and we will probably have to rent before we buy in CA but we are definitely torn on what to do. One thing to note is that my wife is due back to work from maternity but if we move in CA she will probably be a SAHM for a couple of years. So taking the new salary and allowing her to be a SAHM is also a factor to consider.

We definitely need to create a pros/cons list between the places like COL, salary, traffic, weather, lifestyle, etc.

If you were in my situation, what would you do?
To answer the question directly: no, I would not.

Based on the information provided, I don't see an extreme desire for the amenities of Orange County nor the aloofness towards cost of living that the typical "I need coastal Southern California"-type people display. I am sure the idea of Orange County is nice and that is what draws you, but only a 50% increase in salary will be paltry considering the massive hike in costs.

From my own personal experience, my desire for low cost of living and a cold climate were extremely high and the amenities of Huntington Beach were not especially important to me. Hence, I moved to Duluth, MN and am perfectly happy. I definitely noticed my own stress levels plummet when dealing with finances and I even took a slight pay-cut to move.

If you could explain a little more of what you really value in a place to live, that would help give you better advice.

Cheers!

Old 10-01-2017, 09:21 AM

249 posts, read 265,408 times
If both of you have long wanted to live in CA, I say go for it. If I think it will work, I'd rather try it, the worst that can happen is you will know it doesn't work and move on, better than always wondering.

I was born in Southern California, love it don't want to live anywhere else. Yes, it is a HCOL area but for a good reason.

Only you and your wife can decide your highest priority, every location is a compromise, there is no one perfect location, only the best for you.

Old 10-01-2017, 12:20 PM

8,266 posts, read 2,890,958 times
Right now there is probably no better state to live in if you're into handouts or are an illegal alien.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:31 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,697,648 times
Quote:
Love the responses and feedback.

Wife will be a SAHM for at least 1 year, she's already itching to go back to work but we don't want our baby to go to a daycare that we aren't too familiar with. At least when baby is 1, she won't be too dependent on breast milk.

I will probably have some money from my home sale but not enough for a downpayment yet. We also want to rent for 2 years to make sure this is what we want to do, so that we aren't tied down. We have seen rentals in Irvine/AV/MV for around 2700-3000.

Yes we have a nice house in NC, but like someone said with year round nice weather, I don't think we would spend much time indoors and enjoy the parks, weather and beaches. So a smaller house would be fine with us. In NC, we have a formal living room and dining room that barely gets touch and we use a loft as a playroom but our kid just plays in our living room
You stated previously that you're from Northeast, so I wouldn't be surprised if you're equating Southern California to Florida. FYI, Southern California is not Florida; the weather here is not warm-to-hot year-round like it is Florida. Yes, the weather in coastal Southern California is mild, but certainly not warm in the same respect as it is in Florida.

Also, Southern California has a winter rainy season, which begins in early November and lasts until mid-to-late March. This is great if you enjoy winter sports like skiing and snowboarding, but not necessarily ideal for spending time at parks and beaches.

I don't care what anyone says -- your blood thins out after living here for a few years, making 65-degree days seem very chilly. This is applies to most people, too, even those who grew up or spent most of their lives in very cold climates.

Word to the wise -- going to the beach in Southern California is not like going to the beach in Delaware, Rhode Island or South Carolina. Beach traffic on Saturdays and Sundays in the summertime is nightmarish all over Orange County.

However, beach traffic is only half the battle because, once you arrive at the beach, you have to look for parking. FWIW, fighting for beach parking with angry, inpatient 909-ers driving monster trucks in Huntington and Newport is not fun.

Also, lot lines in Orange County are close to zero, meaning homes are extremely close together, even in the most upscale of neighborhoods. Moreover, most homes have shallow road frontage and small backyards. I don't care how many parks and recreation areas exist -- it is less-than-ideal for children to grow up in neighborhoods wherein homes are on top of each other.

Old 10-02-2017, 10:58 AM

3,439 posts, read 3,258,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
it is less-than-ideal for children to grow up in neighborhoods wherein homes are on top of each other.
so NYC, London, Tokyo "produced abnormal persons" because their "homes are on top of each other"?

Old 10-02-2017, 11:08 AM

547 posts, read 771,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
so NYC, London, Tokyo "produced abnormal persons" because their "homes are on top of each other"?
New homes in the RTP area are starting to be like this. Builders are trying to maximize the land and building less yard space for homes. It hasn't stopped home buyers from purchasing these homes.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:28 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,636,980 times
Quote:
New homes in the RTP area are starting to be like this. Builders are trying to maximize the land and building less yard space for homes. It hasn't stopped home buyers from purchasing these homes.
It has hasn't stopped people in SoCal from buying them, either.

OP, just do what makes sense for you and your family.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:25 AM

36 posts, read 42,744 times
My husband's company moved us from Miami, Fl to Orange County, CA in 2014. Sell the house, 2 kids, 2 boxers, cars, furniture, etc. Big Move. Three years later I can say it was a great move for my family. A growing experience and new opportunities for all. I work and had to reinvent myself. I am now a real estate agent and it is going great for all of us.

I am happy to answer any specific questions you may have but here is what I found:

Yes, houses cost more here. However, we decided we could live with less house for a better lifestyle and some other lowered living expenses made it all balance out for us.

1- our kids can attend the public schools here because they are better than the private schools were in Miami.
2- our electric bill is 1/5 of what it used to be
3- our home insurance is 1/10 of what it used to be in Miami
4- our property taxes are 1/2 of what it used to be in Miami
5- No crime- priceless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County