Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 04:20 PM

5,742 posts, read 4,697,306 times

Advertisements

With a family, you need at least $200K annual income to live here, and not struggle or live in the ghetto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 08:59 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnugget View Post
We would be potentially close to 200k when my wife goes back to work.
If you can see your family having a gross income of, say, $400k in 3 or 4 years, you'll be fine. At $200K you will constantly feel squeezed.

How much stock are they granting you? How much of a sign-on bonus?

Could you swing something like one of these houses?

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...t/11_zm/0_mmm/

Old 09-26-2017, 09:56 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,217,049 times
traffic, awful. everywhere. all the time
cost of living and housing, through the roof expensive
air quality, absolutely horrible

i would not want to raise a family there

quality of life takes an absolute nosedive.

i am the most optimistic person in the world always telling people go for it, but not in this case. no way. no no no no no way.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:02 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Nope. I'd stay put. Even a 50% increase in salary is pennies. A tiny house out there in a decent neighborhood can easily cost well over $700K. I'm talking 1400 sq ft....which is like a garage in Raleigh. Then there's the traffic. Raleigh doesn't have traffic compared to Orange County. And being a SAHM mom in a completely new state? Forget that! She will be sooo isolated and lonely.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:16 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:
what if we always wanted to live there and we love that type of weather and living close to the beach?

We would be potentially close to 200k when my wife goes back to work. we understand traffic will be an issue, we are from the Northeast.

I think we might be ok just renting a townhome and maybe buying a townhome eventually (no yard work).

if the housing market the biggest deterrent of it? It would also be a good career advancement for me..
You're assuming a lot about your wife's salary. You said she will be a SAHM for a few years in Cali. That takes her out of the game and could be starting her career over. It will be YEARS before you're at $200K and by then you'll need far more than $200K to stay afloat.

You want to be close to the beach? Rent a house in the Outer Banks. In Cali, you'll be working so much, you'll never see the beach! Forget living anywhere near it on a <$200K salary.

Why not just look for a job in the RTP that would help advance your career?

Before you get excited about relocation assistance, you need to read the fine print and get ALL the details. Assistance doesn't always mean they'll pay for the entire cost of the move. Moving from coast to coast can easily be over $20K for a moving company.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:24 PM

626 posts, read 626,099 times
Quote:
Recruiter said they would provide relocation assistance so that's what made it more attractive for us. At worst we would have to move back on our dime.

The main difference from doing our initial calculation and salary calculators end up our mortgage here vs bump in rent and putting 2 kids in daycare here vs no daycare in CA. It actually ends up being kind of a wash. This is assuming those web calculators are accurate. Unless I'm missing any other hidden fees in california.
Nope, I still would not take it at all. The cost is to much for a family for what you are getting in return. You say you want to downsize and you have rooms you hardly use. Then when you get here that downsizing WILL wear on you not to mention paying the extra taxes, higher gas prices, traffic, and more traffic.

Unless you are going to be making more than $250k then don't come to the OC because you will hate all the crap later on. What is your salary as of right now if you don't mind me asking?

Also I got a reputation and a letter saying that the COL is lower in Greensboro compared to the RTP. Yeah the cost of living is $3k less in the Triad than the Triangle. Wow, that is next to nothing compared to here. All the little stuff that you are not aware of until you live here will eat up your money like nothing because they will nickel and dime you here to no end.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:47 PM

547 posts, read 774,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
If you can see your family having a gross income of, say, $400k in 3 or 4 years, you'll be fine. At $200K you will constantly feel squeezed.

Wait, now I'm buying 3500+ sq ft homes? Couldn't afford that in RTP too! Lol

Old 09-26-2017, 11:08 PM

26 posts, read 32,163 times
Living in California is like having a target on your back. Everyone has their hand in your pocket. If you can afford to look at it like going to school, you're only there to get the experience on your resume, and don't expect much more than that, you'll be glad you went. But if you've swallowed the kool aid about how wonderful life is in California, you're in for big reality check. Its wonderful for people that don't have to work, and are wealthy enough to travel the state. Most people are working like rats in cages just to pay the rent. By the time they've fought traffic all week, they don't want to leave home only to fight traffic again on the weekends. From a native Californian now living in Charlotte, NC

Old 09-27-2017, 07:24 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,723,943 times
Quote:
what if we always wanted to live there and we love that type of weather and living close to the beach?

We would be potentially close to 200k when my wife goes back to work. we understand traffic will be an issue, we are from the Northeast.

I think we might be ok just renting a townhome and maybe buying a townhome eventually (no yard work).

if the housing market the biggest deterrent of it? It would also be a good career advancement for me..
These are key points. If you always wanted to live in SoCal, then you should move there, regardless of what other people conclude from their personal cost benefit analysis.

Personally, I would not be able to stand the NC state legislature. I lived in Durham for a couple years, and liked it well enough -- didn't love it, but it was okay. I do really like NC beaches and go there every year. But since I lived there, the state government seems to have gone completely insane, and I just wouldn't be able to stand living there given that. And I'd be much happier to have Feinstein and Harris representing me in the Senate than Burr and Tillis. It is really nice to have good senators and when you have senators who couldn't care less about you or what you think, it's a real drag.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:30 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,723,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post

Hahahahahaha. You only move to a location if you can afford houses like those? I like your search parameters of at least $1.4 million. WTF was this supposed to prove? If you can afford a fabulous house, then move to an area, but if you can't afford an amazing house then just forget it?

Change the parameters of the search and, surprise surprise there actually are habitable dwellings for less than $1.7 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County