Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2017, 10:16 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times

Advertisements

It seems Crab Cooker got damaged while they were building that "luxury" building next door. And no, it will not be rebuilt to look like the old one: a second story will be added. We can only hope they still have decent fish. After being "rebuilt", will it turn into yet another over-priced fish joint?

Crab Cooker, a Newport Beach institution, must be torn down after construction damage from luxury development – Orange County Register
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2017, 12:23 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Well there is still the one in Tustin that I drive to. In fact I may go there this weekend.

Old 11-24-2017, 11:39 AM

608 posts, read 515,432 times
That is sad news. My family spent spent most of our summer vacation trips in Newport Beach, or Balboa. We went to the crab cooker often. As a kid It was my favorite restaurant there or anywhere else for that matter. I loved that place and hate to think it not being around or being changed in any way.

Old 11-24-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfangle9 View Post
That is sad news. My family spent spent most of our summer vacation trips in Newport Beach, or Balboa. We went to the crab cooker often. As a kid It was my favorite restaurant there or anywhere else for that matter. I loved that place and hate to think it not being around or being changed in any way.
Hey Newfangle9, yes, it seems Crab Cooker will be newfangled.

Old 11-24-2017, 06:05 PM

608 posts, read 515,432 times
The article didn't mention when demolition is going to start. Going to try and go one last time before it does.

Old 11-25-2017, 09:32 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,343,582 times
I was reading how the weight of the building of luxury condo's next door to it shifted the foundation of the Crab Cooker.
I'm imagining that they didn't sink the piles down far enough which now makes me wonder how stable the Condo's are. I can only imagine the lawsuits after cracks in the walls and floor start developing after a good El Nino soaking and some King tides saturating the soil. I guess that people are forgetting that it used to be a sand bar 100 years ago that and that upper Newport Bay is an estuary that was formed by a prehistoric flow of the Santa Ana River. Today it is fed by a small stream from San Diego Creek.

Old 11-25-2017, 04:06 PM

The Latimes shows the current building in great detail.

Newport

Old 11-27-2017, 07:37 PM

1,874 posts, read 2,231,760 times
Anyone know the last day of operation before the reconstruction? I've been going to Sessions, Slap Fish, Wild Taco, Saigon Beach, and Bear Flag when I'm on the peninsula. I took my wife to the Crab Cooker 20 years ago on our first date as teenagers.

Old 12-17-2017, 02:33 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,358,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
Anyone know the last day of operation before the reconstruction? I've been going to Sessions, Slap Fish, Wild Taco, Saigon Beach, and Bear Flag when I'm on the peninsula. I took my wife to the Crab Cooker 20 years ago on our first date as teenagers.
I think alot of people have good memories of the Crab Cooker, and I am sad that it will be "upgraded". My parents, who moved away from Orange County, returned and wanted to go there. One of my favorite memories was that my mother said, being seated after seeing the ocean, " I am so happy I just want to throw myself in", whereas my dad said "Well, nobody is stopping you !" . I chuckle every time I think of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County