Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 05:52 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times

Advertisements

Antibes, it's very sad that you stereotype 300 million people on your 17-year impression of Orange County. Orange County, California is not the United States. As a former denizen, it always saddens me when people from other states regard California as a giant Newport Beach, and sadder still when people from other countries stereotype our entire country. All I can say is that I hope our image improves in the next four years, and that I wish people like you won't always be so small-minded about us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 06:28 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,012,366 times
I was born in the US, but spent a good chunk of my life in Europe, starting from my teens onward. There is some truth in what Antibes says, but I don't agree with all of it. I tend to take Goodfellah's view on this also, but there is something enduring about stereotypes too, and I remember reading something by Bill Bryson regarding the stereotypes of different European nationalities that haven't changed in centuries.
Yes, there's a different flavor (or flavour) to every country, but also to every region, and even to individual towns in some cases.
There are good and bad qualities typical to a place and a people, but that doesn't tell the whole story since there are plenty of exceptions as well.
There are things that charm me about Spain and things that **** me off to no end. The same is true of England, Ireland, Italy, and the US. These are places I've lived or spent considerable time and know well. Oh, throw in Finland too (And yes, a lot of them drink like fish and public drunkenness there is something you won't find in many other places).
I think it's the human condition to find differences and make comparisons with what's familiar, but generalizations and stereotypes are dangerous to a person's perceptions if you start painting with a broad brush and anticipating all the time what to expect next.
Nevertheless, I think it's fair to say that the probability of X happening is greater in one culture than it is in another. Have you ever driven down a one-lane street and have the car in front of you stop to a standstill as the driver gets out to go do business at the bank? This inconsiderate behavior has never happened to me in the U.S., but has happened a number of times in.......(go ahead and guess!)

Old 11-25-2008, 10:44 AM

15 posts, read 108,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
(and yes, a lot of them drink like fish and public drunkenness there is something you won't find in many other places).
:d

Old 11-25-2008, 01:41 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRITUSA View Post
I will be doing this on my own as a single mum with 2 kids.. .
What's dad's take on all this? Is he OK with you taking his kids to a foriegn country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County