Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 01:42 AM

4 posts, read 8,490 times

Advertisements

These two suburbs are great, but if I wanted to pay Orange County prices, then I would've stayed in OC. It seems like Rancho Cucamonga and Chino Hills have gotten so "desirable" in the market that you're basically paying coastal prices without any of the benefits.

Never in my life would I have thought I'd be priced out of the Inland Empire... growing up in OC, the IE was alwaya known as the last resort for those priced out of OC before having to leave the state completely. Now looks like I have to look into Phoenix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 04:40 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,513,828 times
The houses and land in IE are usually physically a lot bigger than anything you get in OC for the same land/SQ ft. I bought in IE and if I tried to buy the same thing in OC I would be looking at easily 25-100% more depending on the size and appearance.
Are you comparing 2500 sq ft on 1/4 acre against comparable in OC? Or typical OC 1960 1200 sq ft ranch style that’s never been remodeled? Build dates? ETC......

They have gotten “desirable” because OC has gotten so expensive. But it’s always been like that. As areas get higher in property/living costs, people move to alternative areas making those areas more costly also. This isn’t anything new.

Living all your life with in OC doesn’t guarantee you will be always able to afford living or purchasing there.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:36 AM

296 posts, read 265,535 times
Back in the day when the IE was not considered to be a very desirable place to live there were no good places to shop, eat, not much in the way of entertainment, etc. Because people started moving out that way the area has built up nicely, with more things to do so of course the housing prices are higher.

Enjoy Arizona, many people do!

Old 03-09-2018, 12:56 PM

745 posts, read 1,284,372 times
The trick is to land on greener pastures before the locust swarm, gobble up the equity and enjoy the good life for as along as you can before the rest of the swarm arrives.

Problem is, eventually there won't be any greener pasture left.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:25 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,389,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwumpus View Post
The trick is to land on greener pastures before the locust swarm, gobble up the equity and enjoy the good life for as along as you can before the rest of the swarm arrives.

Problem is, eventually there won't be any greener pasture left.
These days they are brown pastures in the desert areas.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:35 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,056,349 times
yeah but that's the real estate game in SoCal. More people move here, or are born here than any other state in the Union. I was born in a coastal town, but I can't afford to live there as an adult.

I just clicked on a link to new construction in Rancho Cucamonga, 3bd 2.5 ba, 3300 sq ft - $960K.
sure it has some lovely features, but for 96% of a MILLION DOLLARS, I would expect at least a POOL and NO HOA.

I guess when it's all too much and you are ready to retire, that's what Arizona/Texas/etc is for.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:34 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,502,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danica32 View Post
Back in the day when the IE was not considered to be a very desirable place to live there were no good places to shop, eat, not much in the way of entertainment, etc. Because people started moving out that way the area has built up nicely, with more things to do so of course the housing prices are higher.
^ This.

Rancho and other areas of the IE have been developed and improved over the years. Victoria Gardens, for example, fits the OC shopping vibe perfectly... lots of upscale, trendy restaurants and stores, well manicured landscaping, etc. Plus, you're really not that far from the beaches.

Most people who settle living in the IE do so out of compromise. Realistically speaking, unless you are independently wealthy/retired, you will be working-eating-sleeping most of the week anyway. Save the beach trips for the weekends. For many people, this is an acceptable lifestyle.... you get your spacious, new construction house in a nice neighborhood, and when you want to go to the beach, it's less than an hour away.

Old 03-10-2018, 05:26 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,052,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving out of CA View Post
These two suburbs are great, but if I wanted to pay Orange County prices, then I would've stayed in OC. It seems like Rancho Cucamonga and Chino Hills have gotten so "desirable" in the market that you're basically paying coastal prices without any of the benefits.

Never in my life would I have thought I'd be priced out of the Inland Empire... growing up in OC, the IE was alwaya known as the last resort for those priced out of OC before having to leave the state completely. Now looks like I have to look into Phoenix.
In another thread you said you're in high school and you're Gen X? What up kid?

Old 03-11-2018, 01:05 PM

925 posts, read 1,064,835 times
I’ve lived in the IE for 30 years and the changes over the years have been exponential. Most of the low income areas especially in the west end areas have improved as prices have escalated. If you want cheaper living people are moving to the Victor Valley and AZ and NV. e

Old 03-11-2018, 02:14 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,513,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
In another thread you said you're in high school and you're Gen X? What up kid?
Maybe he got held back a while? A long while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County