Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2008, 11:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,639 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking about buying our first house and thought that when we visited Anaheim that it was a very beautiful city, but we didn't see that much of it and I was wondering what would be the nicer areas?

We have a 2 year old and expect to have some more kids in the future, but we don't have a lot of experience with this kinda think and don't want something too expensive, just something to start with.

I appreciate the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 12:38 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
What part of Anaheim did you visit? What's your budget? The more affordable parts of Anaheim are parts you probably don't want to live in. Now's not the best time to buy since prices are declining and no one knows when and where the bottom will be.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:22 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSylvia View Post
My husband and I are thinking about buying our first house ...... I was wondering what would be the nicer areas?
..... just something to start with.
How long have you been researching (I spent one solid year.)

Where will you be working?

Old 03-26-2008, 11:36 AM

365 posts, read 1,419,393 times
I only know of select areas that are strong in Anaheim, but to get a little better idea first, could you answer EscapeCalifornia and Charles' questions? With a better idea of you specific situation, we'd love to help

Old 03-26-2008, 11:46 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
i think that you're generally better off if you stay east of the 57 freeway. However, my grandmother lived just off of harbor and lincoln for most of her life and it is still a nice area. in fact, i lived with her off an on over a 4 year span through college and I doubt its changed much since then. however, most of the residents in these older neighborhoods are also pretty old as well, but the houses tend to be very well taken care of. these neighborhoods also tend to be very near to high density, low income neighborhoods with mostly latino residents , which tends to bring down the quality of education in the area, atleast the school ratings anyways. however, there are a lot of great private schools in the area and i never had any safety issues while visiting or living there.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:17 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Look at Old Town Orange.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:12 PM

3 posts, read 7,199 times
Default about Anaheim

There are several nicknames for Anaheim because there are some pretty scary areas, although there are nice parts such as Anaheim Hills - expensive. (Not appropriate for me to post these nicknames.) Yorba Linda, Orange, Fullerton and Brea are much nice areas. Huntington Beach is a favorite, but any beach areas are more expensive. There are some nice areas in Costa Mesa and Fountain Valley is tagged "a very nice place to live" - closer to the ocean, thus cooler. Whatever you do, live close to work as the freeways are huge parking lots. Rush hour is mostly all day... Also, with global warming, we are experiencing "record heat" much more often. Be sure to get air conditioning if you are more than 5 or so miles inland, and plan your budget for high electric bills during the summer - normally July through mid-Oct. Over the past couple of years, we have been experiencing heat waves in the strangest times. In fact, this coming Thursday is expected to be a hot one. Hope this is helpful.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:16 AM

241 posts, read 939,959 times
Anaheim not a bad place at all nothing scary about it maybe because many people who are there probably come from some other scary place locally or another country but nothing to be scared of. Don't really go there but do know its not undesirable at all a very good choice.

Last edited by graciously; 05-06-2009 at 12:29 AM..

Old 05-06-2009, 04:16 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,782,039 times
When I was in elementary and junior high, I lived in Buena Park near the border with Anaheim. Both communities were at one time decent working class communities, but both are on the decline, sorry to say, thanks largely to illegal immigration.

I would tend to concur with the advice of going to Anaheim Hills, Brea or Yorba Linda. The City of Orange as long as you stay east of Glassell and south of Katella could be an option. Just stay out of the El Modena area.

The schools in Anaheim aren't very good while the ones in the four areas I recommended are much more pleasant.

The area around Harbor and Lincoln is near where I worked at one time and I think it's pretty rundown there. I would avoid it.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:03 PM

241 posts, read 939,959 times
think a lot or even most of anaheim is not bad.If you ever drive around it is alright not too rundown if compared to its kind of next door city santa ana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County