Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 10:13 PM

10 posts, read 17,002 times

Advertisements

I haven’t spent a lot of time in Orange County. I’ve lived for 18 years in SB since moving here for college. My fiancé finished her PhD in English a year ago and is looking at applying for acedemic positions. I work in IT for a large medical tech company and will be getting transferred to our Santa Ana location soon. We currently pay $2100 a month for our apartment in SB in a nice neighborhood. We’re in our early 30’s and it’s just the two of us and our two cats. My company’s building is next to the 55 fwy, about 5mins north of John Wayne Airport. My question would be where is a good neighborhood to look at moving to for a place to rent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 04:33 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Tustin, Irvine, Anaheim Hills, Orange.

Try to stick close to work. Where is your fiancé planning on working? You may need to choose a 1/2 way point but for now would look at those areas.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:48 PM

She’s looking into job opportunities at UC Irvine. She tells me that she’s already found a few that look interesting there.

Old 06-23-2018, 03:03 AM

2,209 posts, read 4,224,903 times
Newport Beach or Costa Mesa near Newport.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
Newport Beach or Costa Mesa near Newport.

Costa Mesa ......I would stay out of it. It’s full of rehab house and homeless. Newport is a party city in the areas where rentals are. Rent rates are pretty high there also.
The 55 can get pretty crazy slow at rush hour but you can take streets like Redhill or MacArthur to bypass some freeway congestion

Old 06-23-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Costa Mesa ......I would stay out of it. It’s full of rehab house and homeless. Newport is a party city in the areas where rentals are. Rent rates are pretty high there also.
The 55 can get pretty crazy slow at rush hour but you can take streets like Redhill or MacArthur to bypass some freeway congestion
Where would you recommend?

Old 06-23-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumor21 View Post
Where would you recommend?
Tustin would be good. The apartments in Tustin are hit and miss. There is a brand new one on 1st street and 55. It butts against Santa Ana right by Santa Ana zoo so I’m not sure about it.
Anything that is on the outskirts butting against Santa Ana can be so so. There was a guy on here that was a Sheriff or PD in that area and can give you better info on who and wha5 to stay away from. Hopefully he chimes in.

North Irvine by JWA is not a bad area. Google map of Irvune Ca and look for The 405/55 freeways follow the 405 going southbound and any of these (streets) Jamboree, Culver, University or going south or west away from Santa Ana has apartments that’s 1/2 way for both of you and you can take streets. Trust me you don’t wanna be on the 55/405 at full blown rush hour. I used to deal with that every day. My mom used to live at 405/sand canyon but now lives in Laguna in a retirement place.
While Irvine may be expensive you guys need a what....1 bed apartment? Most people think they need two bedrooms bexause of guests but truthfully you pay for two bedrooms and use one. I would target one bedrooms only. Get a fold out couch if you plan on having guests for a night here and there.

I’m assuming you guys wanna rent a apartment not a townhouse/house

Old 06-23-2018, 11:02 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
There are options in South County, as well. You might want to look at Lake Forest, Mission Viejo, Aliso Viejo, and Rancho Santa Margarita.

Old 06-23-2018, 12:12 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,224,903 times
I would strongly recommend you visit first to see what areas you like, spend a couple days. I'd choose Newport area over Tustin any day and I'm neither homeless or a partier.

I'm reluctant to respond to certain claims ... why would you recommend Tustin/Orange in lieu of Newport in terms of proximity? Newport area doesn't have anymore rehab centers than Tustin ... ugh, I really don't want to go back and forth contending these claims, it's tiresome.

I suppose the only place the other poster and I can agree on is Irvine. It's safe and will be close to where your work is and your wife's potential job. Also note, Orange County in general is spread out, excluding beach towns.

There are apartment hunting websites and apps that can help you determine where and what you can afford. You can even utilize google street map to give you an idea of the surrounding areas.

All the best.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:15 PM

384 posts, read 734,497 times
Fountain Valley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County