Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 08:10 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,008,931 times

Advertisements

It's a surf ghetto, not a real ghetto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 08:53 PM

113 posts, read 257,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
As far as SKater Slums you’re really not gonna have drug deals out in the open or South Central style drug busts
But where would one go to score some weed? (Kidding, kidding!) I've lived in lower middle class neighborhoods like Alhambra in LA County. So maybe Slater Slums isn't so bad. Thanks for easing my mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRacer View Post
They increased the number of cameras after the trouble on the last day at the US Open of Surfing in 2013.
Wow I looked up videos of it that looked pretty intense. Thanks for the warning! Your life sounds wonderful BlueRacer. You seem like a chill person fully embracing the best of beach life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxan View Post

Welcome to Huntington Beach, have a grand ol time.

Denny and Erica
Thank you for your warm welcome Denny and Erica! You guys sound like a wonderful couple. You make beach city living sound so amazing. I will be thrilled if we get to experience just 1/10th the happiness you guys are having!

We have indeed considered Seal Beach -- it definitely is a wonderful area as well. In fact, I think it is one of the best kept secrets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
It's a surf ghetto, not a real ghetto.
That sounds pretty chill.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:00 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,008,931 times
It's like when I slummed it in Santa Cruz hood called the beach flats, near the boardwalk. Everyone that was local said it wad a scary ghetto.

But it was mostly lower income hispanics who worked 2-3 jobs a day. Most of the drama was caused my tourists whi came from inland.

Pretty much every surf ghetto has that theme. They think it is ghetto because they are sissies. If they got lost and wound up in a real ghetto, they would cry and call 911 for directions.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russlancea View Post
Sigh. But welcome to Orange County! Central Park and library is an awesome place to walk and hang out. I hope it's on safe grounds.
HOLY COW. Why did they build a park and school right across from a toxic waste dump.

I live around Slater/Beach intersection (where the hospital is). Does the wind blow hard enough to bring the toxins to my house.

Do you live in the area? I'll do more research on this and report back to you if this is a topic of interest for you. Thank you for pointing this out!

Old 08-15-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
It's like when I slummed it in Santa Cruz hood called the beach flats, near the boardwalk. Everyone that was local said it wad a scary ghetto.
You know, people have told me Santa Cruz has bad areas, but the one time I visited it it looked awesome. IT was beautiful and had crazy niche art galleries. (Super terrible Chinese food though).

I grew up in Alhambra where we had 50k median income (HB is 80k) and had 30% hispanics population (HB is like 18%). So I guess I'll be ok!

Old 08-15-2018, 11:04 PM

823 posts, read 1,784,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c2002 View Post
HOLY COW. Why did they build a park and school right across from a toxic waste dump.

I live around Slater/Beach intersection (where the hospital is). Does the wind blow hard enough to bring the toxins to my house.

Do you live in the area? I'll do more research on this and report back to you if this is a topic of interest for you. Thank you for pointing this out!
I'm north of you in West Garden Grove. Husband and I looked at HB back during the housing boom and we ended up at an open house in Slater Slums. I didn't know it was called that, but did notice the blocks of apartments, condos, etc. It was clean and quiet, but it sure was a change in scenery.

HB had/has a first time homebuyer program, which we were, so that attracted us. Income disqualified us and we felt the condo and area weren't really what we wanted, so we passed it up.

I still looked at HB when house shopping, because I love the homes and area, but the dump sites turned me off. That house I went to for that bday party was a complete shock. I don't remember where it is, but it was your typical HB neighborhood of nice middle/upper middle class homes with manicured lawns, yet the wife told my group of moms that her house was sinking. We were speechless. If that was my house, would I dare plant a vegetable garden there?

Hubby and I looked at a Christian school right across from the recycling place...Rainbow Recycling? That was a huge concern, so I asked if the smell ever traveled north to the school. Yes, it did, but Rainbow is great to do whatever they had to do to stop the smell once the school called them. Well, with kids spending so much time at school, it just was not good enough and I didn't want to take the chance.

Despite what I said about being sick with all the articles I found online, I continued digging into this topic after my last post and came across an alarming article about Oceanview School District, which my friends highly regard:

https://ktla.com/2015/04/20/garbage-...ompts-lawsuit/

Concrete dust covering the kids when they return from lunch? What in the world? Another website said Rainbow collects medical waste. What? What kind and what do they do with it?

Regarding wind direction. I don't know. You're west of Ansco, but east of another former landfill at Gothard and Talbert?

http://records.surfcity-hb.org/sirep...8095201402.PDF

I think there's another old dump south of Central Park. I'm interested in this topic, because it's nearby and I know people who live in HB. I'm also interested in the active landfills in Irvine where many people are buying.

There was also an article years ago that I thought I saved. I can't seem to find it online, but back during the housing boom, a HB condo faced a major lawsuit due to negligence from the homeowners association. Homeowners faced an enormous fee as a result, but I don't remember which condo.

Make sure your HOA is managing its affairs well.

Old 08-24-2018, 12:41 AM

5,587 posts, read 8,401,301 times
Wow, looks like things have changed since I lived in HB from 1999-2001. People were laid-back as you'd expect from a surfing town. Drivers were polite on the roadways and freeways -- co-workers told me, "If you hear a horn beep, it's someone from back East". Downtown Main Street was fun and I never saw anything crazy. Duke's was our favorite place for margaritas and fish tacos.

But when I was back for a visit in 2007 or so, I noticed things had changed. Lots of dudes in big trucks on the freeways, riding right up on your bumper. At one point on a surface street, I was going a little slowly, unsure of where I was supposed to turn, and the person behind me beeped as well as giving me the finger. Sheesh. I understand that the big-truck dudes are the ones partying on Main Street on the weekends now.

That said, I just looked up "riot on Main Street" at the 2013 Surfing Open. Is that the one you're talking about? If so, that is the lamest "riot" I've ever seen! I was expecting a big brawl, windows shattered and general lootery, and all I saw was some goofballs turning over porta-potties, LOL.

Regardless, I'd love to move back if I could afford it. But even so, I'd be afraid it would have changed so much, I would regret it. You know, "you can't go home again". But it is a gorgeous area with the best weather ever, and I envy you, OP!

Old 08-26-2018, 04:31 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,004,325 times
even the "worse areas" are generally safe.
Homeless population has grown over the last two years, so there is a problem of petty crimes throughout the entire city, but if you take the proper precautions, its not a big issue.

The other issue is High density development. Lots of multifamily apartments going up, and no infrastructure to support it.

You will love it here. Plenty of places for short nature walks, a 10 mile + trail along the beach for cycling, walking, running,
Lots of good restaurants (still don't have any real hi-end dining, though)

Plus we are close to LA and San Diego

Old 08-27-2018, 07:54 PM

2 posts, read 6,607 times
I would never live there again. I have kids though...If I was kidless I might consider it but its gross and lots of drugs/crime.

Old 05-26-2020, 09:00 AM

1 posts, read 3,734 times
hi guys, wanted to ask about the area just south of Carr Park - N of Warner, S of Heil, W of Edwards. Basically it's Warner Ave and Springdale. Is it too close to Slater Slums? Any info very much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County