Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 06:21 PM

129 posts, read 150,713 times

Advertisements

I've lived here for 8 years and watched this phenomenon the entire time and for the life of me, don't get it. Background for those not familiar with the area:

The 91 east tapers out as it approaches the IE/Corona at the Weir Canyon and Gypsum Canyon exits, and bottlenecks. It drops down by one lane and has a merge with the 241, which really clogs up the highway. Once you get past Green River it opens up again but the backup can be to the Imperial Highway exit.

What drives me bonkers is people will exit on Weir Canyon and take either Santa Ana Canyon Road, a 1 lane road, or La Palma, a 2 lane road, and cut across to Gypsum.

In doing so they completely clog up Santa Ana Canyon Road, making people crawl less than 2 miles for 15 minutes or longer before these idiots get back on the highway. Or they plug up La Palma and totally plug up the Gypsum Canyon bridge as people wait to get back on the highway.

This isn't my imagination. I've seen it for years now and don't go out after 4 (or 3 on Thursdays and Fridays, when it gets even worse) unless I absolutely have to.I would think regular commuters would realize after one effort that you accomplish nothing by this. You don't even skip an exit. All you do is block surface streets. No time is saved, if anything, time is lost by this idiotic move. The 91 may be plugged up but it does slowly move. You should see the Gypsum Canyon bridge at 4 pm on a Friday.

I wish to God the cops could do something about it but that would require basically following people who exit on Weird and then get back on at Gypsum. Not feasible, which is why this stupidity continues.

Is there anyone here willing to admit that yes, you exit the 91 east on Weir and get back on at Gypsum? I'd love to hear the logic behind this because it makes absolutely no sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 08:09 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,564,559 times
They need to extend those surface streets through the golf course and connect with Green River. The whole thing is an ill conceived bottle neck. You have two huge population centers connected by one freeway. If they ever figure it out, prices in Riverside County will be equal to the San Fernando Valley.

We used to exit there at Imperial and take Santa Ana Cyn. to the shopping center near Weir for the ATM and gas/coffee/whatever when going through there. We'd get back on at Gypsum then off again at Green River.

I think it's the madness of the 91 that makes you finally just give up and look for other roads.

It's not illegal to get off the freeway and get back on later. Not sure what the police would issue a ticket for.

Old 09-06-2018, 04:43 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
The only thing stopping them is the SA river on the north side and the hills on the south side. The 241 is done. They did not think the on/off ramps correctly because there is a big bottleneck on 241 going into 91 East. Then it narrows down again.
91 got widened going into Corona but it’s still a mess as the 91 to 15 north/south onramp is a bs mess but so is the 15 south to 91 West onramp is a joke.

Most people get off the freeway thinking I’m moving faster than the freeway so I’m making up time. As stated it’s not illegal to get on and off the freeway.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:49 AM

283 posts, read 626,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
They need to extend those surface streets through the golf course and connect with Green River. The whole thing is an ill conceived bottle neck. You have two huge population centers connected by one freeway. If they ever figure it out, prices in Riverside County will be equal to the San Fernando Valley.

We used to exit there at Imperial and take Santa Ana Cyn. to the shopping center near Weir for the ATM and gas/coffee/whatever when going through there. We'd get back on at Gypsum then off again at Green River.

I think it's the madness of the 91 that makes you finally just give up and look for other roads.

It's not illegal to get off the freeway and get back on later. Not sure what the police would issue a ticket for.
Extending the road through the national forest/golf course/flood basin will just back up neighborhoods in Anaheim Hills and Yorba Linda. It serves no benefit to those who live in the area.

Bottom line they need to close the gypsum canyon off-ramp/on-ramp permanently.
This will deter cut through traffic on these roads.

I am sure people in Yorba Linda won't mind going to weir to get onto the freeway. Most in the area don't use the 91 anyways since it is always backed up.

I don't see a logical reason of why the taxpayers of Yorba Linda & Anaheim Hills should be spending their hard earned local tax dollars to facilitate the commute of the inland empire.

Old 09-11-2018, 12:30 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
The whole thing is an ill conceived bottle neck.
Designed and implemented by public sector employees who cannot be fired for their incompetence and who earn gold-plated pensions & Cadillac health care for life.

Old 09-11-2018, 04:48 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,753,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxan View Post
I've lived here for 8 years and watched this phenomenon the entire time and for the life of me, don't get it. Background for those not familiar with the area:

The 91 east tapers out as it approaches the IE/Corona at the Weir Canyon and Gypsum Canyon exits, and bottlenecks. It drops down by one lane and has a merge with the 241, which really clogs up the highway. Once you get past Green River it opens up again but the backup can be to the Imperial Highway exit.

What drives me bonkers is people will exit on Weir Canyon and take either Santa Ana Canyon Road, a 1 lane road, or La Palma, a 2 lane road, and cut across to Gypsum.

In doing so they completely clog up Santa Ana Canyon Road, making people crawl less than 2 miles for 15 minutes or longer before these idiots get back on the highway. Or they plug up La Palma and totally plug up the Gypsum Canyon bridge as people wait to get back on the highway.

This isn't my imagination. I've seen it for years now and don't go out after 4 (or 3 on Thursdays and Fridays, when it gets even worse) unless I absolutely have to.I would think regular commuters would realize after one effort that you accomplish nothing by this. You don't even skip an exit. All you do is block surface streets. No time is saved, if anything, time is lost by this idiotic move. The 91 may be plugged up but it does slowly move. You should see the Gypsum Canyon bridge at 4 pm on a Friday.

I wish to God the cops could do something about it but that would require basically following people who exit on Weird and then get back on at Gypsum. Not feasible, which is why this stupidity continues.

Is there anyone here willing to admit that yes, you exit the 91 east on Weir and get back on at Gypsum? I'd love to hear the logic behind this because it makes absolutely no sense.
It's been like this probably a couple of decades, maybe more. The whole canyon is just a choke point to the IE. What are the cops going to do about it? I've dealt with it for over a decade.

Sorry, it is what it is, get used to it.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:15 PM

283 posts, read 626,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
It's been like this probably a couple of decades, maybe more. The whole canyon is just a choke point to the IE. What are the cops going to do about it? I've dealt with it for over a decade.

Sorry, it is what it is, get used to it.
Get used to it? hah...

Sense of entitlement eh for a place you do not even pay property taxes in. "deal with it" another inland empire freeloader. Stay on the freeway so you do not create a hindrance for people that actually pay property taxes in the area.. How about that?

Old 09-12-2018, 01:43 AM

3,875 posts, read 3,871,171 times
This has been going on a lot longer than 8 years and you bought there anyway? Either you were clueless( didn't check out the area enough) or bought anyway.

Blame yourself or move, it's not changing anytime soon, it's going to get WORSE.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:00 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,334,280 times
Remember a few years back when Riverside County approached Orange County about temporarily waiving the tolls on the 91 FasTrack while there was some construction on the 91?

OC came back and told RC to basically "shove it....not happening. Those are your people. That's YOUR problem".

Wasn't that epic awesome?

Old 09-12-2018, 12:19 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,753,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalpal View Post
Get used to it? hah...

Sense of entitlement eh for a place you do not even pay property taxes in. "deal with it" another inland empire freeloader. Stay on the freeway so you do not create a hindrance for people that actually pay property taxes in the area.. How about that?
Really? 15 years in Anaheim Hills, right off of Weir Canyon.

Who's the foreigner from Laguna?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County