Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 12:23 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,662,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullBloodedWhiteMale View Post
Right, which is why I didn't use Anaheim or LAUSD as an examples to compare against private.

Another thing to factor is number of kids. If you have a lot of kids, it's very good to think about buying a home in a district loaded with smart kids and go public. On the other hand, if you have only one kid, maybe pay less money for the house in a school district with marginal kids and go private.

There's another one: High demand university. Overrated expense. The person who most benefits from a high demand university is the parent who can brag about it on Facebook.
Also, the choice of major is 69 times more important than the school. An engineering major from Cal State Nowhere will earn a lot more and have many more job opportunities than an Art History major from Harvard - she'll get a job - but it will be putting clothes back on the rack at Ross.

I'll stick with my contention: Private schools in high IQ neighborhoods are a waste of money.
Exactly. At my kid’s reunion, the two kids who went to Harvard, one committed suicide, the other is working at a non profit organization. While the kid who went to UCI and ended up working at Google did the best. At the time, there were more than 50% of kids at her graduation class got accepted to UCI. Mine did to with a scholarship even, but refused to go there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 12:24 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,662,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Overrated for you, but it's a fact, engineering grads from MIT, Berkeley, or CMU, are highly coveted by firms because of their educational background, and proven private sector performance. You may think someone from CalState Long Beach might have an equal shot at a high paying job, but all other factors equal, they do not.

Again, for you. For those who can actually afford it, and have had children go through a private K-12 track, and now have kids studying Engineering at MIT, or in a pre-med program at Harvard, it was completely worth it for them.
Actually at my company, the kid who went to CSLB did very well.

Old 02-20-2019, 03:09 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,942,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
While the quality of the school has a major impact on eventual job placement and income, the quality of the students on a personal level is very important for the type of person your child will become. Public schools unfortunately have many not very good students/people attending them and that impacts the students forced to associate with them for 12 years. You can be smart, but still be doing stupid things. Public schools are more inclined to doing stupid things with other students and the standards of conduct at public schools is basement rated.
Pretty much. Public schools have a much lower floor overall than private schools because of political considerations. This is just a fact of life, especially in a place like California.

Old 02-20-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Actually at my company, the kid who went to CSLB did very well.
Yeah, anecdotal evidence aside, no one is picking a CSULB grad over an MIT grad.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:05 PM

138 posts, read 116,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Hey, FullBloodedWhiteMale, how about not resurrecting old topics?

The OP asked this topic in September and hasn't been back since then. Obviously they got the answers they needed.

Other people, besides the OP may be subsequently interested in this topic and additional responses that may trickle in with time. Why is it a problem to resurrect old threads anyway?

Old 02-21-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Other people, besides the OP may be subsequently interested in this topic and additional responses that may trickle in with time. Why is it a problem to resurrect old threads anyway?
Agreed. We have way too many self appointed moderators here. Adding to new topics is not against the rules, relax Tim.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:51 AM

138 posts, read 116,083 times
Quote:
Pretty much. Public schools have a much lower floor overall than private schools because of political considerations. This is just a fact of life, especially in a place like California.
Private schools typically don't have too many kids on the far left of the IQ bell curve either. Smart parents have smart kids. Smart parents earn more money and can afford private school. But, back to my earlier posts, if the pool of kids is already smart, then the private school benefit is minimal. That is, the kid in Canoga Park will benefit more from attending Chaminade (a private school there) more than the kid in Coto will benefit attending Santa Margarita instead of Tesoro.

Old 02-21-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Private schools typically don't have too many kids on the far left of the IQ bell curve either. Smart parents have smart kids. Smart parents earn more money and can afford private school. But, back to my earlier posts, if the pool of kids is already smart, then the private school benefit is minimal. That is, the kid in Canoga Park will benefit more from attending Chaminade (a private school there) more than the kid in Coto will benefit attending Santa Margarita instead of Tesoro.
Sure.

I've just lost all faith in California public schools. They management of them has become so political driven that I believe the policies are hurting the quality of education, severely.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:24 PM

427 posts, read 348,723 times
Quote:
Sure.

I've just lost all faith in California public schools. They management of them has become so political driven that I believe the policies are hurting the quality of education, severely.
Do you have children that attended public schools and/or did you attend school in California? Where at?

Old 02-22-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
Do you have children that attended public schools and/or did you attend school in California? Where at?
No, I love my kids. I wouldn't put them into a California public school, just like I wouldn't let them stay in a Tijuana motel, eat gas station sushi, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County