Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 08:07 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoxdiamond View Post
The real pro-tip here is to leave nothing of value in your car, and keep it unlocked at all times. That way you won't have a broken window.
You would think. That’s what I did after my windows got smashed twice. Guess what happened when it was unlocked, it got smashed again. I eventually just left both windows rolled down unless I knew for sure it would rain. I don’t know what it was, or what karma I was paying back, but that truck got stolen(and recovered with the check engine light off, lol), and three windows smashed on three separate occasions. I hope I’m not jinxing myself by saying this, but I haven’t had any problems in a dozen years or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 09:43 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,286,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
You would think. That’s what I did after my windows got smashed twice. Guess what happened when it was unlocked, it got smashed again. I eventually just left both windows rolled down unless I knew for sure it would rain. I don’t know what it was, or what karma I was paying back, but that truck got stolen(and recovered with the check engine light off, lol), and three windows smashed on three separate occasions. I hope I’m not jinxing myself by saying this, but I haven’t had any problems in a dozen years or so.
would it have made a difference if instead of opening your windows, every time you got off, you post on the windows and windshield, THERE ARE NO VALUABLES INSIDE, THE DOORS ARE OPEN IF YOU WANT TO CHECK. NO NEED TO SMASH IT.

what do you think?

Old 10-05-2018, 11:34 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,180,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
would it have made a difference if instead of opening your windows, every time you got off, you post on the windows and windshield, THERE ARE NO VALUABLES INSIDE, THE DOORS ARE OPEN IF YOU WANT TO CHECK. NO NEED TO SMASH IT.

what do you think?
That's what their doing in San Fran. They have over 30,000 smash a grabs a year. And that's what's reported

Old 10-05-2018, 12:53 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post

what do you think?
Yeah probably. But then you’re inviting everyone to rummage through your car because you’re drawing attention to it. When I left I truck unlocked, and later the windows down, it seemed like someone went through it all the time. I smoked back then and my ashtray would always be dumped out and picked through. I had a dead battery once because the interior light was left on.

As I’m thinking back on these wonderful memories more, I think people went trough it more when it was just left unlocked. When the windows were down, or with one of several convertibles I’ve had, I think most just look and move on. If it’s left unlocked they think it was an accident and start tearing through things. The sign concept is interesting though.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:24 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,863,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Wtf did you think you’re gonna find?
From the local Nextdoor... the crook broke the window and then stole a handgun.

Old 10-07-2018, 11:17 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,870,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoxdiamond View Post
The real pro-tip here is to leave nothing of value in your car, and keep it unlocked at all times. That way you won't have a broken window.
A REALLY bad idea, you could end up with druggie vagrant sleeping in there or some homeless people getting it on. These low level criminals have nothing to worry about because Dems are hell bent on early release or coddling these losers which is why we are seeing an increase in these crimes.

Old 10-07-2018, 11:18 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,870,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
From the local Nextdoor... the crook broke the window and then stole a handgun.
Only an imbecile would leave a firearm in his vehicle unattended.

Old 10-08-2018, 04:53 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
Only an imbecile would leave a firearm in his vehicle unattended.
I don’t even leave my registration or insurance info. That’s in my wallet. If someone steals my car they have no information on the vehicle at all. About the only thing worth stealing is the radio. Which is usually a cheap aftermarket stereo due to the hands free requirements. Other than that I would still have the factory stereo.

Old 10-08-2018, 05:24 AM

375 posts, read 609,505 times
Friend of mine drove back from Bay Area to SoCal stopping near Gaviota for break.

Parked his new Subaru in the beach parking lot for a 15 minute mid-afternoon walk along the beach.

Got back to his car to find driver's window smashed and car emptied of two suitcases full of clothes, a laptop, his checkbook and other assorted items including his wallet, IIRC.

They eventually caught the guy but my friend was returned only one empty suitcase.

Old 10-08-2018, 05:59 AM

3 posts, read 1,662 times
Just take it as a lesson and don't keep your valuables in the car. It would have ended much worse if he had stolen other things from your car. So, just feel better that nothing expensive was stolen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County