Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 09:05 AM

3,146 posts, read 3,840,977 times

Advertisements

Where as an ultra right wing, Republican, gun owning Jew, are my people? Because that's where I want to live
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 09:52 AM

42,745 posts, read 25,916,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Living in a truly diverse neighborhood is not a bad thing as you point out. However that is rare as so many people from other Countries are coming into CA (and other States) and looking for a place to live by their own ethnicity. While this occurred in a smaller scale in the past with groups like Italians, etc, the numbers now are much larger and less incentive to integrate exists. Then the Hispanic population has expanded to being the majority in CA so that impacts the overall issue, though many do integrate in later generations. True integration would require massive inter marriage not just living near different ethnicity. This is what happened with the US in the past. Very few full blooded Italians, Germans, French, English,Spanish and to some degree Hispanics who have been in the US for multiple generations, etc., exist now as they intermarried. Will that continue or will it begin to change due to the reality that some areas are so segregated by ethnicity they will no longer feel a need to integrate as they have enough of their own around them that it isn't felt necessary or even desirable?
Hispanics are not the majority in California but they are the largest ethnic group and comprise about 39% of the population. Hispanics are slated to become the majority in Texas by 2022. I don't see many segregated areas around here, there are areas where there tend to be more Asians, or Blacks, or Hispanics but nothing that would even approach segregation. I don't see hispanic and white kids self segregating in the schools or playgrounds, and I see a lot of mixed couples so I'm not seeing what you are. 27% of all Hispanics marry someone of another ethnicity. That's only beat by Asians who marry someone of a different race or ethnicity 29% of the time. Hopefully, at some point in the future everyone will be some shade of tan so we can find more important things to fight about.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:52 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,254,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Hispanics are not the majority in California but they are the largest ethnic group and comprise about 39% of the population. Hispanics are slated to become the majority in Texas by 2022. I don't see many segregated areas around here, there are areas where there tend to be more Asians, or Blacks, or Hispanics but nothing that would even approach segregation. I don't see hispanic and white kids self segregating in the schools or playgrounds, and I see a lot of mixed couples so I'm not seeing what you are. 27% of all Hispanics marry someone of another ethnicity. That's only beat by Asians who marry someone of a different race or ethnicity 29% of the time. Hopefully, at some point in the future everyone will be some shade of tan so we can find more important things to fight about.
Segregation by city or area is one thing and segregation by neighborhood is another.

Hispanics are currently, as far as I can find, the largest ethnic group, though they also qualify as "White".

In 2014, Latinos will surpass whites as largest racial/ethnic group in California | Pew Research Center

Yes many marry other ethnicity, but the majority do not. I have no problem with any ones ethnicity and in fact my wife is of mixed ethnicity. It is just that integration in neighborhoods is not changing for the positive at this time.

As to everyone being tan, I am all for it which is why I spend as much time at the beach as I can; so I get "tan".

Beyond that; color, ethnicity, Nationality, etc., is meaningless to me.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:52 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,459,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
You read all that?

Nice !!
That first sentence was ALL I needed to read. This person doesn't know you.

I reread the post, though. Wow. Reads like a lengthy Christmas letter you would receive from a relative.

"Award-winning"? Really?

Old 02-22-2019, 01:01 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,459,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
That first sentence was ALL I needed to read. This person doesn't know you.

I reread the post, though. Wow. Reads like a lengthy Christmas letter you would receive from a relative.

"Award-winning"? Really?
Oops. Sorry. My weird brain saw "diversification" and turned it into "award-winning".

Those seem to be synonymous more and more these days.

Anyway, the guy doesn't know you and doesn't know sarcasm, which is what has given this thread traction. :

Old 02-22-2019, 03:15 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,133,793 times
My nephew (white) married a first generation Mexican. Throughout the whole wedding her mother cried because she was marrying a gringo. It was rather insulting to us but we just ignored her. In OC the cities are segregated by ethnicity.... that's just the way it is and won't change soon.

Old 02-22-2019, 05:17 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,631,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
My nephew (white) married a first generation Mexican. Throughout the whole wedding her mother cried because she was marrying a gringo. It was rather insulting to us but we just ignored her. In OC the cities are segregated by ethnicity.... that's just the way it is and won't change soon.
The mother sounds like she has a mental problem... poor thing.

Anyway, when I'm considering a place to live, I dont necessarily think about what ethnicities live there, rather I consider the aesthetic of the neighborhood, the convenience of stores (Ralph's Vons, Starbucks, etc) and the overall reputation of the town or city. I also consider how clean and nice the other houses or apartments look and whether of course, is the area safe? I want to live in a nice place that is safe and pretty to be in.
I want to enjoy trees, manicured lawns, landscaping and I want to live around others there want to keep their homes well-kept. Very simple, don't care what ethnicity you are, just don't be filthy and pig-like and we can all co-exist, no prob.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:13 PM

138 posts, read 116,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Where as an ultra right wing, Republican, gun owning Jew, are my people? Because that's where I want to live
What's your budget?

Old 02-22-2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Hopefully, at some point in the future everyone will be some shade of tan so we can find more important things to fight about.
The gastronomic equivalent of that is taking a hot dog, a burrito, a pizza, a hamburger, a California roll and a kielbasa and sticking them in a blender and then pouring this mix on a plate. No thanks.

Hopefully all the different races and cultures can maintain their identities so there are distinct differences to appreciate.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Beyond that; color, ethnicity, Nationality, etc., is meaningless to me.
What percent of same race parents of ANY race would feel this way in terms of their children's marriage partners? That is, do you think two black parents or two Korean parents or two Mexican parents would feel the race of their child's marriage partner is meaningless?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County