Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 06:32 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,181,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericaBravoCharles View Post
Texas, here I come!

That’s not a threat. I’m actively making it happen.

That three of the now-defeated California Republicans, who represented Orange County, lost the race so late after election day by fewer than 5,000 votes is, frankly, suspect to me.
Me too!! Glad I'm not the only suspicious one. I'm suspicious about Newsome and prop 6 too

Where in Texas? Good Luck and happy trails to you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 09:33 PM

119 posts, read 139,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Me too!! Glad I'm not the only suspicious one. I'm suspicious about Newsome and prop 6 too

Where in Texas? Good Luck and happy trails to you
The Houston area. I’m looking forward to it. The skies are gorgeous, the Tex-Mex and barbeque great, and the people seemingly friendly (though Californians can be notably friendlier than they’re given credit for being).

I think Newsom’s win was fair and square, unfortunately. Cox sucked royally as a candidate. Even though Allen is now running for California GOP Chairman, he is working within a weak, inept, spineless, stuck-in-the-1980s, and nevertheless arrogant yet defeated-morale state GOP.

The outcome of Prop 6 was probably fair and square, too, but obviously the margin of victory (which is a “No” vote in this case) was still slimmer than Gavin’s victory.

California has become worse just in the last five years, and that was from a point during which longtime California conservatives were already saying that the state was toast. November 2018 now makes 2013 look like the good ol’ days.

But hey, as long as illegals get to vote, money is squandered on funds and bonds that are supposed to help homeless people, and hepatitis risks persist on the dirtiest streets of California cities, then I guess the leftist utopia is being fulfilled. Right?

The “5th-highest GDP” chant is only so impressive when 40% of said debt is state and local government budgets, the debt burden would be in the top 15 in the world (if an independent country), and Fresno and Bakersfield are still struggling to recover from the 2008 recession (while comparable cities in Texas are faring relatively, comparatively well). But hey, as long as the far-leftists in San Francisco (where Newsom was mayor), San Mateo, Santa Clara, Alameda, and Marin Counties (all in the Bay Area) can continue to look down on the otherwise forgotten people of Fresno, Bakersfield and other locales in the Central Valley, I guess the leftist utopia is being fulfilled. Right?

Last edited by AmericaBravoCharles; 11-16-2018 at 09:44 PM..

Old 11-16-2018, 09:52 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,181,139 times
Quote:
The Houston area. I’m looking forward to it. The skies are gorgeous, the Tex-Mex and barbeque great, and the people seemingly friendly (though Californians can be notably friendlier than they’re given credit for being).

I think Newsom’s win was fair and square, unfortunately. Cox sucked royally as a candidate. Even though Allen is now running for California GOP Chairman, he is working within a weak, inept, spineless, stuck-in-the-1980s, and nevertheless arrogant yet defeated-morale state GOP.

The outcome of Prop 6 was probably fair and square, too, but obviously the margin of victory (which is a “No” vote in this case) was still slimmer than Gavin’s victory.

California has become worse just in the last five years, and that was from a point during which longtime California conservatives were already saying that the state was toast. November 2018 now makes 2013 look like the good ol’ days.

But hey, as long as illegals get to vote, money is squandered on funds and bonds that are supposed to help homeless people, and hepatitis risks persist on the dirtiest streets of California cities, then I guess the leftist utopia is being fulfilled. Right?

The “5th-highest GDP” chant is only so impressive when 40% of said debt is state and local government budgets, the debt burden would be in the top 15 in the world (if an independent country), and Fresno and Bakersfield are still struggling to recover from the 2008 recession (while comparable cities in Texas are faring relatively, comparatively well). But hey, as long as the far-leftists in San Francisco (where Newsom was mayor), San Mateo, Santa Clara, Alameda, and Marin Counties (all in the Bay Area) can continue to look down on the otherwise forgotten people of Fresno, Bakersfield and other locales in the Central Valley, I guess the leftist utopia is being fulfilled. Right?
Somebody's getting fulfilled but it sure isn't the conservatives or the slaves of the Dems. I have family obligations so can't leave yet but counting down the days. This state is getting rotten to the core

Old 11-17-2018, 12:05 AM

3,272 posts, read 3,933,909 times
People are literally defecating in the streets in San Francisco, not exactly The Garden of Eden?

Now who was the mayor 2004 to 2011? Yep, our new governor. If you think California is bad now, what do you think it's going to be like in ten years with more sanctuary cities, more taxes, and more illegal immigrants.

My wife and grandparents came here legally. Illegal immigration is a slap in the face of every legal immigrant.

Old 11-17-2018, 12:51 AM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,191,900 times
Quote:

Did you jump up and down squawking like a good ********** when he threw out paper towels so you can dry out your carpet after Hurricane Harvey? I know he did that for Puerto Ricans, but he has plenty of faithful lambs to the slaughter in Texas. In any case, I'm sure you'll find it a paradise that has all their bases covered when life throws a little wrench in the gears. Hopefully you can transfer California pay, considering Texas is below the national average. I admit, in a moment of weakness I considered living there to be closer to family until I came to my senses. Even though I can command a decent pay rate (even in horrid California), I found I could make a very conservative-happy, business-friendly lower rate in Texas (with cost of living, I'd be hand-to-mouth right now). And you should revel knowing it's hepatitis-free, because pro-business Texas law doesn't guarantee sick pay... just try not to catch a cold or flu or anything. Just remember that 'round those parts, should you miss anything you had Texas won't embrace for another couple decades or so, they don't take kindly to Califerneys. Enjoy flyover country!

Old 11-17-2018, 03:50 AM

119 posts, read 139,453 times
Quote:

I should have said when 40% of said GDP is state and local government budget. My faux pas.

Old 11-17-2018, 03:06 PM

145 posts, read 104,440 times
I don't think this is as bad as it looks for the Republicans. The fact the Democrats didn't win by a landslide despite heavy spending is a sign of Republican strength in OC to me. If the Republicans could come up with policies tailored to modern California they have more than a good chance to reclaim OC in 2020.

Old 11-17-2018, 05:01 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,895,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverJC View Post
I don't think this is as bad as it looks for the Republicans. The fact the Democrats didn't win by a landslide despite heavy spending is a sign of Republican strength in OC to me. If the Republicans could come up with policies tailored to modern California they have more than a good chance to reclaim OC in 2020.
Yeah the republicans are in between a rock and a hard place try something new to appeal to voters for generations to come or go full blown Trump, and risk alienating a new more diverse america. Looks like OC is about to loose it's last republican seat. Crazy! Republicans typically do good in midterms, but if this is how 2018 looks I can't imagine 2020. Democrat Gil Cisneros pulls further ahead of Republican Young Kim, putting another GOP House seat in peril - Los Angeles Times

Old 11-17-2018, 06:46 PM

167 posts, read 195,644 times
Right wingers dont worry that much. These midterms more people voted because of Trump. As soon as the democrats win presidency nobody will care about midterms just like they never did before and oc will be republican again.

Old 11-17-2018, 09:19 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverJC View Post
Well, Bob Dornan lost by only a little bit to Loretta Sanchez back in the early 1990s, then lost by more in a rematch, and the GOP never regained that district. So it can go either way.

On the second point, I'm inclined to agree. If the GOP wants to regain some political clout, they've got to lose the Pete Wilson disease of mindless xenophobia and embrace better health care policies (which was a big issue this term) as a start. They've got nothing else to lose, literally and figuratively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County