Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2019, 11:18 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,102,543 times

Advertisements

Fukushima radiation, pollution or?

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2019...sick-dolphins/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 11:34 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,216,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
My uneducated guess is that it's from run-off pollution as a result of our recent rain which might have spiked a concentration of bacteria or pollutants.

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/02/0...ed-with-trash/

Seal Beach a few weeks ago...makes you want to cry.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:14 PM

872 posts, read 592,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
My uneducated guess is that it's from run-off pollution as a result of our recent rain which might have spiked a concentration of bacteria or pollutants.

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/02/0...ed-with-trash/

Seal Beach a few weeks ago...makes you want to cry.
I’ll bet you are right! Lots more vagrants making huge piles of trash in the streets and wages now makes its way into the ocean - the disease and bacteria counts must be commensurate with the visible trash

Old 03-02-2019, 10:36 AM

608 posts, read 512,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirsty_And_Miserable View Post
Most of that stuff is storm runoff from 500 square miles of watershed. Big deal.

Whatever happened to jellyfish? You never see them anymore.
That's a very good question. I have spent twenty six years working as a diver in Newport Harbor. Years ago during the spring and summer there were areas that had so many I couldn't avoid chopping up hundreds of them with my prop just traveling through. I can't remember now when I saw one last. Moon Jellyfish they are called, some got as big as a dinner plate, or bigger. I used to be surrounded by them at times in the water. Good thing about them was their stinging cells couldn't penetrate the skin on my hands. They had to contact my lips in order to have any effect and wasn't too bad when they did. Don't know about the Dolphins, but I had two of them surface within ten feet of my boat just last week and follow me for bit. It's always a treat to seem them that close.

Old 03-02-2019, 12:28 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,216,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfangle9 View Post
Don't know about the Dolphins, but I had two of them surface within ten feet of my boat just last week and follow me for bit. It's always a treat to seem them that close.
I can tell you my first wild dolphin encounter was initially startling. I was surfing off Bolsa Chica State Beach (free parking near the Jack in the Box at Warner and PCH) and I see a grey dorsal fin about 6 ft away. Fearing a shark, I grab the rails of my board and make sure all my appendages are out of the water and I get ready to swing a punch if necessary. Turns out it was a pod of 6 dolphins. They seem so much larger when they're next to you compared to observing from afar. I was tempted to pet them, but I opted to head to shore. Turns out they spent about 15 minutes swimming in the face of the waves. It was one of the coolest scenes in nature that I've witnessed.

Old 03-02-2019, 12:33 PM

102,125 posts, read 107,381,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirsty_And_Miserable View Post
Most of that stuff is storm runoff from 500 square miles of watershed. Big deal.

Whatever happened to jellyfish? You never see them anymore.
Someone told me, that the Fukushima radiation has been found to melt the jellyfish. They used to be everywhere in Puget Sound (the context in which that comment was made to me), but some years ago, there were only amorphous blobs found, where jellyfish used to be. So, clearly, they couldn't reproduce, which probably caused a population crash.

Old 03-02-2019, 12:35 PM

102,125 posts, read 107,381,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
I can tell you my first wild dolphin encounter was initially startling. I was surfing off Bolsa Chica State Beach (free parking near the Jack in the Box at Warner and PCH) and I see a grey dorsal fin about 6 ft away. Fearing a shark, I grab the rails of my board and make sure all my appendages are out of the water and I get ready to swing a punch if necessary. Turns out it was a pod of 6 dolphins. They seem so much larger when they're next to you compared to observing from afar. I was tempted to pet them, but I opted to head to shore. Turns out they spent about 15 minutes swimming in the face of the waves. It was one of the coolest scenes in nature that I've witnessed.
This kind of thing has been reported to occur seasonally ever year, in Monterey Bay. Pods of dolphins, gamboling among the waves, kayakers and surfers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County