Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 08:58 PM

21 posts, read 40,853 times

Advertisements

I’m looking to move from Irvine to a house in Laguna Niguel.

We like that we’re in a gated condo that’s quiet and safe – we can walk our dog at night on the grounds of the complex, rather than walking around on the street. But our condo is small, and we want and need a couple of things: we’re having my elderly mother-in-law move in with us, and we need more space, plus we need to get into a single level, or at least have a place where most of the living space is on a single level. Also, where we’re at now, there’s not a lot of community feeling.

Right now, I’m looking at a couple of houses near the Laguna Niguel Regional Park, and it’s nice because they don’t have HOA or mello roos. In fact, in the 20 years now that I’ve lived in Orange County, I’ve never really known of an area without those fees, so I was surprised to stumble onto them. It reminds me of older neighborhoods in L.A., where I lived as a kid.

I was surprised driving around, though, to see some homes in the area that were pretty run down, but also some that have been really nicely remodeled, so it’s hard to get a bead on the trajectory of the area. Is it “up-and-coming” again, or is it kind of on its way out? Are there people coming in and sprucing up, or are people abandoning their parents homes because they can’t afford to tear down/rebuild or do complete remodels? Along those lines, we want to be sure that we have re-sell value, as we’re pretty sure this won’t be our last home.

Also very important to us: we need clean fresh air – preferably ocean breezes, and we’re really looking for a great community feeling, and a very safe neighborhood where people talk to each other, and there’s a sense of friendliness.

If any of you can provide some info on this particular Laguna Niguel area with regard to these issues, we would really appreciate it. Also, if you know of other parts of the OC that would fit what we’re looking for, I’d love to know about them too.

Thanks for joining in the conversation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 07:46 PM

252 posts, read 422,726 times
Laguna Niguel is a great area....as is most all of South County..,,we have not encountered any depressed areas.

We moved back to the mainland, and now we are coming on FIVE YEARS living, in Dana Point, and from jump street, when we first moved in, we met our neighbors. We loved the area, the beach is a five minute walk, great parks, and the fabulous Dana Point Harbor , and short drives to marvelous wilderness areas to hike and bbq.

We moved back to the mainland from Kauai island, and brought our own ALOHA with us. Meeting people was easy.

Do your own research and find the neighborhood or area that feels to to you, lots of choices, and go from there.

You are right about HOA and Meloroose, , stand clear. Rip off City.

Also, there a many fantastic areas to live in South County. Check them out. Don't rush into what does not feel right.

As far as Dana Point is concerned, it is not only a great and friendly area,
IT IS DOGS USA.

You have a dog....Dana Point is Dog America. Great !!

And I love dogs. Do we have a dog ? No we do not, but I have a dog without having a dog,
My neighbor has a wee doxy, Penny, that I care for in short bursts once in a while. Penny knows the
honk of my horn of the car when setting the alarm system, and leaps up and runs to the front door of her home
to get out to greet me.

Guess, all we can say, is keep an open mind, do your own research, check out the many different
areas, and find what feels good to you.

We have no problem meeting people. As mentioned we bring our Aloha with with us, and that means
respecting everyone, and sharing open and easy conversation, no judgement, and being kind and helpful.

Makes our hearts feel good. We love south county.

Our life here in Dana Point. Just today started off washing clothes and working out at the fitness center.
Fixed Erica's Tea. Drove to the do it yourself car wash in San Clemente, Came home, Then we hiked the Aliso Summit Trail on Pacific Island Drive, in Laguna Niguel, ( homes looked fantastic ) and the views of the valley are amazing. Then home, and got everything together and drove out to Caspers Wildernss Park to BBQ. We were the only ones there.

Point being, we absolutely love living in south orange county. We have no difficulty in any aspect, and honestly
believe that it is great area . That means all of south county as well.

As to exact areas, well, that is up to you to search out, but there are a wealth of fabulous areas in south county
to chose from.

Enjoy your search.

Make it fun.

Old 04-24-2019, 02:03 AM

Hi kauaidooley, thanks for visiting my thread! I really appreciate your info on Dana Point - it sounds like the perfect mellow place for a relaxed lifestyle, and I love your concept of bringing Aloha with you.

I'm gonna check Dana Point also, so thanks for that!

And, of course...……….

Aloha!

Zach

Old 04-25-2019, 09:00 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,049,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachm35 View Post
I’m looking to move from Irvine to a house in Laguna Niguel.

We like that we’re in a gated condo that’s quiet and safe – we can walk our dog at night on the grounds of the complex, rather than walking around on the street. But our condo is small, and we want and need a couple of things: we’re having my elderly mother-in-law move in with us, and we need more space, plus we need to get into a single level, or at least have a place where most of the living space is on a single level. Also, where we’re at now, there’s not a lot of community feeling.

Right now, I’m looking at a couple of houses near the Laguna Niguel Regional Park, and it’s nice because they don’t have HOA or mello roos. In fact, in the 20 years now that I’ve lived in Orange County, I’ve never really known of an area without those fees, so I was surprised to stumble onto them. It reminds me of older neighborhoods in L.A., where I lived as a kid.

I was surprised driving around, though, to see some homes in the area that were pretty run down, but also some that have been really nicely remodeled, so it’s hard to get a bead on the trajectory of the area. Is it “up-and-coming” again, or is it kind of on its way out? Are there people coming in and sprucing up, or are people abandoning their parents homes because they can’t afford to tear down/rebuild or do complete remodels? Along those lines, we want to be sure that we have re-sell value, as we’re pretty sure this won’t be our last home.

Also very important to us: we need clean fresh air – preferably ocean breezes, and we’re really looking for a great community feeling, and a very safe neighborhood where people talk to each other, and there’s a sense of friendliness.

If any of you can provide some info on this particular Laguna Niguel area with regard to these issues, we would really appreciate it. Also, if you know of other parts of the OC that would fit what we’re looking for, I’d love to know about them too.

Thanks for joining in the conversation!

Laguna Niguel overall is very safe, very clean, and very well managed by the city. I lived in Aliso Viejo over a decade ago so I still visit Laguna Niguel to see old friends, and it doesn't look better or worse than it did a long time ago. So as for the trajectory, I'd say it's flat, which isn't a bad thing at all. Laguna Niguel has established zoning that designates a large chunk of its land as "open space" so that helped prevent the massive developments that you would find in places like Anaheim.

There are pros and cons to areas with HOAs. Even in some of nice areas, the lack of an HOA can result in a few owners who defer maintenance on their homes, which can drag down the look of the neighborhood and turn off potential buyers. Of course there are cons with HOAs too which are well known so I won't delve into.

As for ocean breezes, I'm not sure how much of that you'll get in the regional park area. Laguna Niguel is pretty close to the ocean but there are mountains to the west that block most of the breezes except for the southern parts of the city. The southern parts of the city are the coolest with the most breezes (and those areas seem nicer to IMHO) but they are also farther from the freeway.

Old 04-27-2019, 02:25 AM

Hi kishac, thanks for your thoughts! That's a good point, about the mountains, potentially cutting off air flow from the ocean. It's strange, though. There are places in the OC where you would expect to get ocean breezes all the time, but they don't happen - I visit friends in Newport, just a few blocks from the ocean, and...nothing! I guess it can really vary. The houses I've looked at so far in Laguna Niguel seemed to have good air quality (very subjective, I know), so it sometimes seems like a crap shoot.

I like the area, though, so I'm going to keep on looking there.

I agree with your comments about HOAs. There were a couple of houses on the street I was looking at, that really looked kinda dilapidated, which did worry me...something to keep in mind, for re-sale value.

Thanks!

Old 04-29-2019, 08:49 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,049,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachm35 View Post
Hi kishac, thanks for your thoughts! That's a good point, about the mountains, potentially cutting off air flow from the ocean. It's strange, though. There are places in the OC where you would expect to get ocean breezes all the time, but they don't happen - I visit friends in Newport, just a few blocks from the ocean, and...nothing! I guess it can really vary. The houses I've looked at so far in Laguna Niguel seemed to have good air quality (very subjective, I know), so it sometimes seems like a crap shoot.

I like the area, though, so I'm going to keep on looking there.

I agree with your comments about HOAs. There were a couple of houses on the street I was looking at, that really looked kinda dilapidated, which did worry me...something to keep in mind, for re-sale value.

Thanks!
You're very welcome!

I'm not sure if they still do, but the LA Times publishes (or did) the daily air quality report and Laguna Niguel's vicinity consistently scored well. The blue skies and clear mountains pass the eye test, and the air passes the smell test for me.

I currently live in north OC but I've been looking into setting my roots down in Laguna Niguel since I like the access to the ocean and general cleanliness of the city.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:42 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kishac View Post
You're very welcome!

I'm not sure if they still do, but the LA Times publishes (or did) the daily air quality report and Laguna Niguel's vicinity consistently scored well. The blue skies and clear mountains pass the eye test, and the air passes the smell test for me.

I currently live in north OC but I've been looking into setting my roots down in Laguna Niguel since I like the access to the ocean and general cleanliness of the city.

Check airnow.gov for daily reports and good info throughout the day using the buttons above the report.

Below 50 is good.

From the city data site.

City:123 U.S.:75

Read more: //www.city-data.com/city/Laguna...alifornia.html

Old 04-29-2019, 10:19 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,986,028 times
There isn't anywhere in OC that has good air. Too much congestion, too many people, too many cars.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:08 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kishac View Post
You're very welcome!

If the area you looked it is Hidden Hills (which appears to be the case), know that that development was built in the 60s and has no HOA. Hence, it looks different from the rest of Laguna Niguel. Despite all that, homes sell quickly in that area since they are all one story homes (highly sought after). Reasonably remodeled, many of those 1400 to 1600 sq foot ranch style homes on larger lots are routinely selling close to or over the 1m mark. Hidden Hills is not my favorite as I prefer newer homes, but I can guarantee that people will continue to seek out those homes. The entire area is very safe.

Old 07-01-2019, 08:39 PM

341 posts, read 285,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
There isn't anywhere in OC that has good air. Too much congestion, too many people, too many cars.
Real time air polllution map
https://www.purpleair.com/map#9.1/33.6604/-117.6506
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County